Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GIF Breakdown: Cowboys’ Use of Tackle-End Stunts to Defeat Redskins

thehbrwhammer

http://nflbreakdowns.com/cowboys-stunts-redskins-sacks/

In this breakdown I wanted to see the different blitz packages the Cowboys used against the Redskins Monday night. It turns out Marinelli used one signature  play design: the tackle-end stunt with DeMarcus Lawrence. This created two sacks. Additionally, it was used in the run game successfully multiple times for tackles for loss and hits on Kirk Cousins.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Good to see from this angle. Watching it live, I knew the interior struggled - very evident here. Long had a couple gaffs, but I found it to be primarily Scherff and LeRibeus as the main culprits throughout the game. Lots of coaching points for these young lineman. 

Of course, they're not fixing LeRibeus. Any word on Kory L?

Outstanding work as usual! This is exactly the type of thread I come here for! Please keep up the great work!

A couple of questions: It seems that stunt only worked for sacks that first series, meaning hat in general the Skins did adjust. Also, it really seemed on the second sack Cousins held the ball too long. Did you see any plays later in the game where they picked it up?

Also, that play by Lee only works if the QB holds the ball. Kirk seemed the most unsure of where to go with the ball as he as ever been. He has typically had no problem getting the ball out. Were they doing something in the secondary to confuse him or were they just playing tight coverage and guys were just not open? If so did we not send out an check downs?

It seems to be the guys just really had a bad day at the office - from the HC all the way down to the players. You hate to see that, especially in such a big game but it tends to happen with teams that are rebuilding. Also, I know people like to chant the next guy up mantra but in reality we have been one of the most injured teams in the NFL. Does any of the stuff work with KL and Lauvao?

Like you said, it will be interesting to see how they respond against Chicago. They are 1-5 at home this year. We are 0-5 on the road. Maybe we break the jinx here.... :-)

Thanks again for the incredible breakdown. It's the ES highlight of the week even if we lose. I learn something every time.

I have seen Dallas run a variation of the T E stunt, using a LB targeting a tackle, and the T getting hit really hard. I saw it last year, and it seemed revolutionary almost  but very dirty. I had never seen a blitzer not running towards a QB to that degree before. 

The interesting part was that LB had decent path to the QB to try, but attacked the unsuspecting tackle. I think the league will be forced to take a look at it if engaged and unsuspecting players keep getting hit that hard. 

I was glad Jon Gruden called it for what it basically is, a pick play, since the T is moving with the end into the hit.  

Thanks OP

Archived