Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heart Rate Monitor Watch Recommendations

KingGibbs

Hey guys. I've really taken up running and like to keep track of my progress because it does indeed keep me motivated.

I have the Polar H7 chest strap and it"s a pain in the ass. I"m looking for a watch where a chest strap isn't needed and one that has a GPS. Don't want to have to carry my smart phone either.

Suggestions please.

How's the accuracy?

I haven't used it but I have friends who do and they like them. I'd assume that to mean that they are fairly accurate. If I was looking for one, that's what I would get.

I had a Jawbone Up and it didn't have a HR monitor, but otherwise it was ok.

Looks like Fitbit is coming out on top of this wearable health tech game so they'd be a good bet to still be around and I hear their support is top notch.

I have the Fitbit Charge which has a heart rate monitor (really accurate) but no GPS. This is the one that retails for $150.

I believe the $300 Fitbit is the one that has a GPS tracker.

I have had a good experience with Fitbit. It's readings are accurate and it has great app support.

Had the chest strap too. Upgraded to the Apple Watch a few months ago because of all the health apps. Yes, it Bluetooth tethers to the phone which I still carry since all of my jams are in the phone & I can control Music through the watch.

My uncle has one that you get inserted under the skin in your chest.  You can see the outline of it after it's been implanted too!  A little extreme, but I guess he really wanted it.  Don't know about brand or connectivity, but he hasn't taken it out since he got it installed a couple years ago.

EDIT: It sort of has the shape of an ipod nano. Obviously not sure if its an apple product because its under the skin.

How's the accuracy?

I was reading about this earlier coincidentally King because I'm getting back into running and lifting as well. The polar A300 was what was recommend due to the poor HR reading of the Fitbit. Albeit the chest strap is needed to accurately read HR with the A300. I think the Fitbit is more of an popular accessory at this point as opposed to an accurate reader.

I think the Fitbit is more of an popular accessory at this point as opposed to an accurate reader.

None of the ones that you just wear on your wrist are accurate.  They may be accurate for some based on fit, but as a whole, they can't give you an accurate reading.

None of the ones that you just wear on your wrist are accurate.  They may be accurate for some based on fit, but as a whole, they can't give you an accurate reading.

I'm not sure if you are talking about heart rate accuracy?  Check out the review below...the new Garmin seems to be pretty good.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/garmin-fr230-fr235-review.html

What are you going to do with the HR data? Measuring your resting pulse is one robust way to track fitness improvement.

The dorainmaker site referenced above has tons of in-depth reviews. It is THE authorative source for runners. You will see variation in HR data accuracy, whether with a chest strap dur to bad contact, or with optical methods.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator

Archived