Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

11 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

The moment I see another big recession (which may be coming soon), I may have to leave.  The target may be immigrants this time around.

Out of curiosity where would you go?  The problem with world wars, which is what your example ended with, is there aren't places to hide.  Especially when you figure that the countries that the immigrants originated from would probably be a target.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Out of curiosity where would you go?  The problem with world wars, which is what your example ended with, is there aren't places to hide.  Especially when you figure that the countries that the immigrants originated from would probably be a target.

That is a good question, lol.  The "third world" country I come from is wedged between two nuclear powers. Perhaps they will protect us, and hopefully they don't join in. 

3 minutes ago, visionary said:

So now we've got tech companies, hospitals, and universities, among others.

Which might be a good argument why Trump's Muslim Ban is bad policy. But I don't see it having any relevance on whether he has the authority. 

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Which might be a good argument why Trump's Muslim Ban is bad policy. But I don't see it having any relevance on whether he has the authority. 

They are trying to shift the argument to strict scrutiny standard vs the one always used.

All authority has limits of course.

42 minutes ago, Larry said:

The administration has said that not only does Trump have absolute authority to impose it with no scrutiny, but that it also does no more harm than keep out bad people and briefly inconvenience some others.  The courts have pointed out that so far the administration has not shown any evidence that staying the ban would cause harm to the country, while the ban itself has caused and would keep causing much harm.

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Does this actually mean anything considering the nationwide stay?  I'm honestly asking because I don't know.

Yeah, I'm curious too.  Maybe it's just in case things change, or maybe it's more specific.   I think the original filing predates the one in Washington, but I'm not sure.

Edited by visionary

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/judge-in-virginia-grants-preliminary-injunction-against-travel-ban/2017/02/13/a6164bfe-f255-11e6-a9b0-ecee7ce475fc_story.html?utm_term=.3227e7473686

Federal judge in Virginia issues strong rebuke of Trump travel ban

A federal judge in Alexandria has issued a preliminary injunction against President Trump’s travel ban, dealing another blow to the White House attempt to bar residents of seven predominantly Muslim countries from entering the United States.

The executive order, Judge Leonie M. Brinkema concluded, probably violates the First Amendment’s protections for freedom of religion.

Brinkema’s order applies only to Virginia residents and students, or employees of Virginia schools. A nationwide freeze has been in place for several days, having been issued in Washington state and upheld by a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.

In her opinion, Brinkema wrote that the Commonwealth of Virginia “has produced unrebutted evidence” that the order “was not motivated by rational national security concerns” but “religious prejudice” toward Muslims. She cited Trump’s statements before taking office, as well as an interview in which former New York City mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani (R) said that the president wanted a “Muslim ban.”

The decision is significant, he noted, because a preliminary injunction requires a higher burden of proof than the temporary restraining order issued in Washington.

*click link for more*

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Where are the ES lawyers to clear this up?

If you insist. :silly:

The Va ban doesn;t matter unless the appeals court overturns the national band one, in which case the courts out of that jurisdiction bans apply in their jurisdiction...unless SCOTUS rules of course which rules all.

Except Trump if he wants a fight.

add

in case you were not confused yet....the national ban is not binding beyond that judicial region....if the other courts don't wish to honor it.

Edited by twa

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Maybe you should describe what that is.  You, know for some of the less intelligent people here.  :ph34r:

Think it was explained earlier, but the short version is the appeal on Trumps immigration order) is brought before a full panel of the 9th circuit court(rather than just the three earlier)

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/general/2017/02/10/En_Banc_Summary2.pdf

Probably won't change the outcome, which leaves appealing to SCOTUS or the full hearing back in the District court....or Trump issuing a different order.

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

It's fascinating to me that regarding the EO, Trump seems stuck between losing (I mean, it's possible that changes) or admitting he was wrong.  Should be an easy choice - just redraft the EO, but that ego....

It can certainly be won, probably take a while though considering the playing field.

Justice moves slow.

20 minutes ago, twa said:

It can certainly be won, probably take a while though considering the playing field.

Justice moves slow.

Can?  Sure.  Likely to?  I don't know, but the odds look iffy at the moment. 

Philosophically though, you could argue he still loses because he claims the judges are making our country less safe and they are to blame if something happens.  Yet the blame falls on him if instead of a (relatively) quick rewrite/redo, he spends time in court.  I mean, the judges gave him a roadmap on how to go about it, right?

So, in that sense, he's putting his ego ahead of national security (if the threat is as dire as he seems to think).