Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Terrence Cody Trial- Starved his Dog to Death. Petition to Ban Him

Koolblue13

http://www.yousignanimals.org/NFL-player-starves-his-pet-dog-until-it-DIES-Ban-Terrence-Cody-from-the-league-t-5096

That's the petition to keep him out of the league. I believe today is his trial. The Ravens cut him immediately after this. 

After months of waiting, Terrence Cody’s trial has finally commenced at the Baltimore Circuit Court. In February, the NFL player was indicted on 15 counts; the same day the accusations were brought, his team, The Baltimore Ravens, cut him loose.

Terrence Cody paid $8, 000 to purchase Taz, a beautiful Canary Mastiff dog from Spain. With all the financial resources at his disposal, one might thing the dog was bound to live a happy and peaceful life in the US. It was quite the opposite. The pet was placed in a dirty cage and left there without food and water for over a month, between December 2014 and January 2015. During all this period, Cody never bothered to see how his pet was doing. When Cody finally came through and went to check on Taz, he was appalled to discover his pet was clinging to his life by a thread. The helpless animal was rushed to the hospital by Cody himself, but it was too late for him to be saved. To spare him further suffering, vets had to humanely put him down.

So I don't get it. Did Cody leave the dog s daily care to someone else? I mean, even pieces of garbage know animals require food and water every day right? Did he think a magic fairy was going to feed the dog that month?

Im confused.

I'm confused as well, at least from reading only what's in the OP lol...he was "appalled" to see the dog was starving to death so that would mean that he expected the dog to have been taken care of? And if he knew nobody (including him) was taking care of the dog, why would he be appalled to see that a dog that had not been fed in a month was starving to death? What am I missing?

Apparently someone else is also being charged in this...did Cody assume the other person was taking care of the dog, while the other person said "This isn't my dog" and didn't do anything?

I read another article and his gf was pregnant and allegedly had no expectation to care for the animal but I wonder if that's untrue. It's odd it was even mentioned.

Get this, Cody had four other dogs in fine health. The abused animal was kept in a cage in his garage. I think Cody is admitting he didn't really see the dog much in that month.

The vet said Cody cried. This doesn't sound like a Vick type situation.

Is he covering for the gf? She is the only other one being charged. It doesn't sound like Cody is a sadist from what others are testifying to, I think it's possible the dog wasn't getting along with the other dogs or wasn't house trained and Cody expected his gf to feed it.

And she didn't.

Ugh. I love Mastiffs - I just adopted an English Mastiff/Boxer mix. They are incredibly loyal dogs and need to be around their owners - they suffer severe separation anxiety. Just keeping one alone in a cage all day is cruelty,let alone starving it to death. Can't imagine paying 8k and just locking it up and walking away. Something going on here - gf is likely guilty.

Ugh. I love Mastiffs - I just adopted an English Mastiff/Boxer mix. They are incredibly loyal dogs and need to be around their owners - they suffer severe separation anxiety. Just keeping one alone in a cage all day is cruelty,let alone starving it to death. Can't imagine paying 8k and just locking it up and walking away. Something going on here - gf is likely guilty.

Breaks my heart as well.  I take back my anger toward Cody if he was truly surprised & totally unaware of the neglect. 

I hope whoever is guilty gets prosecuted.

how does anyone forget there's a dog in their garage, for an entire month?

I can't believe the owner of my two favorite red long-haired Dachshunds leaves them at a boarding facility for months while she travels...she's got $millions$...Elvis & Jasmine would be with me wherever I was, if they were mine. No question...my 3 kitties too.

If someone else had committed themselves to caring for them and he believed they truly would, I can give him a small pass. But then again, I couldn't leave my pets for longer than a couple days. They're my kids.

I can't believe the owner of my two favorite red long-haired Dachshunds leaves them at a boarding facility for months while she travels...she's got $millions$...Elvis & Jasmine would be with me wherever I was, if they were mine. No question...my 3 kitties too.

If someone else had committed themselves to caring for them and he believed they truly would, I can give him a small pass. But then again, I couldn't leave my pets for longer than a couple days. They're my kids.

I can't believe someone wouldn't go in their garage for a month.

• 4 months later...

ray rice knocks out his gf and the ravens try to sweep it under the rug. this guy's dog dies of starvation and they cut him before he's even convicted.

for some reason issues involving dogs cause more outrage than issues involving other people. even children. it's interesting.

ray rice knocks out his gf and the ravens try to sweep it under the rug. this guy's dog dies of starvation and they cut him before he's even convicted.

for some reason issues involving dogs cause more outrage than issues involving other people. even children. it's interesting.

You're right, and it's a shame. I think both human and animal abuse are wrong, and neither should be tolerated at all.

It seems wired into us, though.

You can have a man standing on the thin ledge of a building, ten stories up, and there would be people just standing there (some would even be yelling for him to jump).

However, if you had a little kitten hanging off that same ledge, people would be freaking out.

We love our pets. :)

You're right, and it's a shame. I think both human and animal abuse are wrong, and neither should be tolerated at all.

I know, but the Ravens almost go away with the rice thing. It wasn't enough for people to see him dragging her unconscious body around. It wasn't enough to know that he hit her and hit her so hard she was knocked out.

Ravens fans were applauding Rice at training camp to show their support for him.

It took an actual video to release of him hitting her for people to actually be outraged and call the Ravens to task.

But if you so much as get accused of kicking a dog then you better look out because people will come after you.

I love dogs too but it's absurd the way this works. I'm sure people paid to study this sort of thing get it, but I dont.

In theory, people can choose to leave an abusive relationship.  So when they choose to stay in one, people are sometimes not very sympathetic towards them because they have the ability to help themselves but don't.

Animals on the other hand don't have any control over their surroundings and don't have the capacity to understand why someone is being cruel to them, or how to avoid it in the future.  To me that's sadder and more twisted.

Humans have cognition and know better, animals don't.  Not saying that its a foolproof argument, but that's the reasoning.  same reason why its way more sad when an animal dies in a horror movie vs. a random sidekick person.  Or why its sadder when its a infant vs. an adult.

animals cannot ask for help, they can't save themselves when someone hurts them

animals cannot ask for help, they can't save themselves when someone hurts them

If that were true, all animals would be extinct. They were able to evolve and adapt through self preservation. Thats an animals most basic instinct.

What I think you meant to say, is animals that are domesticated, and exhibit emotions like trust, love, etc in those who care for them. When that trust is violated and the animal (lets use dogs) is abused, it doesn't understand why the abuse is happening to them. It thinks it did something wrong.

Sure, it has claws, teeth, etc, and could theoretically defend itself and bite back, but this is someone that is close to them, not an intruder, or another animal. Its someone that feeds them. They are confused, and they become victims of abuse.

That line you used is why I agree with tshiles sentiment.

Sure, like a dog could bite or claw in self peservation instinct, a woman can leave, or fend off, or fight back. But for the most part, women are largely at a disadvantage against male attackers. They "can't save themselves" from being beat up, and because it is someone they trusted, they are then emotionally manipulated into thinking it was their fault, and isolated from those who can help them, because in their own minds, "they are unable to ask for help", out of fear, or misplaced guilt.

Not saying both issues are 100% similar, but they are not that far off

If that were true, all animals would be extinct. They were able to evolve and adapt through self preservation. Thats an animals most basic instinct.

What I think you meant to say, is animals that are domesticated, and exhibit emotions like trust, love, etc in those who care for them. When that trust is violated and the animal (lets use dogs) is abused, it doesn't understand why the abuse is happening to them. It thinks it did something wrong.

Sure, it has claws, teeth, etc, and could theoretically defend itself and bite back, but this is someone that is close to them, not an intruder, or another animal. Its someone that feeds them. They are confused, and they become victims of abuse.

That line you used is why I agree with tshiles sentiment.

Sure, like a dog could bite or claw in self peservation instinct, a woman can leave, or fend off, or fight back. But for the most part, women are largely at a disadvantage against male attackers. They "can't save themselves" from being beat up, and because it is someone they trusted, they are then emotionally manipulated into thinking it was their fault, and isolated from those who can help them, because in their own minds, "they are unable to ask for help", out of fear, or misplaced guilt.

Not saying both issues are 100% similar, but they are not that far off

you're overlooking another part of an animal being helpless.  Trap it somewhere it can't let itself out and it can't call out for help if it's sick or injured

Archived