Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins vs Patriots

NoLeafClover

Reading more how the Pats beat reporters talked about how unhappy that team was post-game. How better is expected. How players who don't perform are held accountable. That is what stands out between a team that wins and a team that doesn't.

In New England, Roberts might not see the field again this year after all his drops and special teams issues. He might not be active again. All the guys who had drops might end up doing drills on holding on to the ball when the backups get 1st team reps.

Without the knowledge that players must be responsible and perform or they could lose playing time. How does anybody expect things to change? The last thing these guys need post-game is a pep talk about how it only counts as a single game. No need to call out players by name. But how does Gruden go from blaming RG3 for some things that the OL failed at last year on top of his own issues, to making excuses for Kirk or Colt. To not even saying "A number players know they let their team and themselves down today.....and if they aren't going to perform, other guys will get a chance".

Right now if they drop a pass or miss a block or assignment on D. There is no fear that "****, I might ride the bench"

Same goes for coaches. How long as Cooley said McVay was a young up and comer? Where are those 3 TE sets from early in the season to run from? Where is the fullback to help with run or fool the D into thinking run?

The Trent Murphy experiment needs to end. It was an awful pick at the time and it's shown to be the case this year. How they thought this guy was going to replace Rak is beyond me? I can't believe this team passed on Bitonio for Murphy. Just completely dumbfounded.

Agree. Murphy stinks. He looks lost out there.

The Redskins defense held the Pats to their lowest score this season.

Yay.

Its also the first time Brady has thrown an interception at home in a very long time.  I think we doubled their turnovers for the year in the first quarter.  The opportunities were there.  We beat ourselves this game.

For years now I've been reading on this board how our 3-4 is different and we don't need a prototype NT and we went with Cofield for how many years, and some people thought he was doing a good job.

I got a lot of flak at the time (I had a different account back then) but I hate the 3-4 and I think it's far harder to find a dominant NT than it is to find the pieces for a front 4. Another turd left under a floorboard by Shanahass

For years now all I heard was that our D LINE stunk because we did not have a true NT. Now we have one and this D is leading the league, or is close to the bottom, in run defense. Can someone with the know tell me what we need now to fix our defense? 

Random thoughts

The blowout wasn't as bad as I feared.  We were kind of in it for a while there.  The drops hurt but I think that happens to every team once a year. We did it vs the Pats, maybe not a bad thing since we would likely lose anyways.

We do an onside last week. Jay is too conservative to risk doing it again, even though the net loss is really only 30 yards. I was hoping he would try it again..... so Belly sees we did it last week, and does it to us. Demoralizing.

I still don't know how Brady - the most immobile guy on the field - brought down Keenan, but that was a big play.

I was encouraged to see us open in play action (no, you don't have to successfully run the ball before going PA) - and Garcon was wide open. Sure it was an INT, but I thought our only chance of beating the Pats was with a pass first mentality.

Oh well. We went back to the run since no one could hold the ball.  

Crowder once again dominated in garbage time.

I'm beginning to blame the players more and the coaching less by each week.

Gruden had the right game plan to win it. Players lost this game. Kirk can't win this game by himself. Not sure what else Gruden can do.

Sure, we are not running the ball well. Everybody gets their fair share of the blame in that department. But the reason the numbers are that bad is we get down by like 20 points at halftime because of players bloopers like yesterday. We are forced to abandon the running game in hopes of trying to keep up.

I can't blame Joe Barry either. Players didn't tackle well, we are not quick enough to get to Brady. The play where Brady went deep and our safety was just standing next to the WR like a statue. That says a lot about the secondary.  Barry doesn't have much to work with.

Every NFL team goes into a game against the Patriots wondering how much they will lose by and if they can come out  on the other end with minimal amounts of egg on their face.    Belichick &Co. intimidate and dominate.   We had our chances, but our WR's need Stickum. 

Every NFL team goes into a game against the Patriots wondering how much they will lose by and if they can come out  on the other end with minimal amounts of egg on their face.    Belichick &Co. intimidate and dominate.   We had our chances, but our WR's need Stickum. 

I'm old enough (and maybe you are too) to remember when the Redskins were the Patriot-type team.

Back in the 1980s. Teams were intimidated to play the Redskins. They feared them. Had that game circled on their calendar.

Losing to the Redskins was expected. Beating the Redskins was a big deal, and very nice feather in a lesser team's cap, like the Patriots were a lot of those years.

The NFL is circular like that. One day, the Redskins will be back on top and the Patriots will be on the bottom again. :)

I'm old enough (and maybe you are too) to remember when the Redskins were the Patriot-type team.

Back in the 1980s. Teams were intimidated to play the Redskins. They feared them. Had that game circled on their calendar.

Losing to the Redskins was expected. Beating the Redskins was a big deal, and very nice feather in a lesser team's cap, like the Patriots were a lot of those years.

The NFL is circular like that. One day, the Redskins will be back on top and the Patriots will be on the bottom again. :)

Funny because I was thinking the same thing earlier. Gibbs' teams in the 80's were what the Pats have been for the last decade or so.

I'm beginning to blame the players more and the coaching less by each week.

Gruden had the right game plan to win it. Players lost this game. Kirk can't win this game by himself. Not sure what else Gruden can do.

Sure, we are not running the ball well. Everybody gets their fair share of the blame in that department. But the reason the numbers are that bad is we get down by like 20 points at halftime because of players bloopers like yesterday. We are forced to abandon the running game in hopes of trying to keep up.

I can't blame Joe Barry either. Players didn't tackle well, we are not quick enough to get to Brady. The play where Brady went deep and our safety was just standing next to the WR like a statue. That says a lot about the secondary. Barry doesn't have much to work with.

Cut Ryan Grant like the Packers did the TE who botched the onside. He is JAG and it would send a message. Cut Garcon, he isn't coming back at his price tag and he has been very inconsistent this year. Try sending a message because this team's record post bye week ain't pretty! This game this week is the difference between staying in a bad division race or going 4-12/5-11. That simple.

Gruden had the team competiting the first half-dozen games, my critique was adjustments at the half... Now two games in a row they fall behind 24-0 and 17-0... After calling a "code red" and after a bye week? That is coaching.

Dude is coaching for his life as an NFL HC... If Scot moved on Jay will never be a HC again. I would cut one of the two guys above, I guess they need to keep one, but what does Gruden do instead? He goes after Jackson in his presser?!? WTF?

I am glad fans are not coaches. 

You cannot win with a team in fear of ****ing up . Becasue every time a player goes out they are not playing free but they are playing tight and rigid and when you worry about ****ing up you **** up 

You think Tom Brady goes out there in fear of ****ing up ? 

The coaches have to give the players the confidence they are putting the players in the position to win with the schemes and game plans and the players have to give the coaches the confidence they can execute the schemes . 

One thing that bothers me about the play calling in the run scheme is i think we need to go away from the running back by committee until one guy gets onto a roll - sometimes it takes Morris a handful of plays to get into a game, but at the moment he is only getting a handful of plays and if he is not hot from the first carry he is getting benched... playing fearful.. 

On defence the outside guys are crashing down too quickly(over regressive) and the DBs are dropping further into coverage... I am not sure if opposing teams are stretching the field to exploit this or the scheme is not getting executed properly. The outside linebackers need to show better awareness and patience to set the edge in the run game and the inside LBs and DBs need to make their tackles and disengage better ... 

Exactly why I hated all the Redskin jokes by FOX commentators Sunday.

I dream of the day we are respected again.

I remember a pre-game show on ESPN back then where the late Pete Axthelm referred to an upcoming Green Bay-Tampa Bay game as the "Bay of Pigs" game.

Green Bay was seen as a total joke then. They aren't now.

The Redskins' time will come around again.

To me that was just a brutal game because of the coaching.  The team looked beaten in every facet of the game.  The defense couldnt stop them(which was expected), and the offense was woeful(which wasnt).  How do you come out after a bye week and be completely unable to move the chains like we were?

And how is it you have Desean Jackson back in the lineup, and you dont take a couple deep shots to him?  Who is calling these plays?

About DeSean Jackson, I saw him favoring one of his legs after a run/catch/tackle (hamstring injured leg?), and can understand his limited appearance.

What concerned me the most was all the dropped passes.  Now I can understand if they had to really go get the pass and just missed it.  Passes were right to the receivers, right in their hands in some cases.  Kirk is not to blame for this, I was surprised that he was so accurate.  But geez, killed our offense.

I am glad fans are not coaches. 

You cannot win with a team in fear of ****ing up . Becasue every time a player goes out they are not playing free but they are playing tight and rigid and when you worry about ****ing up you **** up 

You think Tom Brady goes out there in fear of ****ing up ? 

The coaches have to give the players the confidence they are putting the players in the position to win with the schemes and game plans and the players have to give the coaches the confidence they can execute the schemes . 

50 of the 53 players on the Pats roster ARE in fear of ****ing up...that's why they study theirs asses off during the week.  You think Bill B. cares why you made a mistake? Nope...just do your job.  It sounds like a lame tagline...but it is the reason they are always one of the 2-3 teams in the league.  Having Brady puts them in the playoffs every year...everyone else doing their ****ing job...makes them SB contenders every year.

For years now all I heard was that our D LINE stunk because we did not have a true NT. Now we have one and this D is leading the league, or is close to the bottom, in run defense. Can someone with the know tell me what we need now to fix our defense? 

Maybe we don't have a 'good' NT - sure Pot Roast has the size, but for a prove it contract year, all he's proving is that he is not the NT we thought he was, or maybe the ends and the 'backers aren't right. Like I said a 4-3 imho is easier to stock. For instance, Preston Smith looks made for a front four right defensive end, the same for Kerrigan on the left/strongside , (in fact he was an end in college - but nooooo, for years the M.O. of this team has been to take college ends and make them OLBs. How's that been working?

In short, this front seven needs to be at the very least, rearranged (if not blown up). We have some talent, it's just all in the wrong places

If you take out the drops and the "deer in the headlights" mistakes, I honestly think we matched it with them.......... if you take out the mistakes..

Their 3rd down eff. was like 56%

It their time of possession that killed us..  37+ to 22+

the dropped passes contributed to that; obviously........

I really think we were playing "Scared". Even some of the veterans.. who I won't name... When you play scared, you will make mistakes and doubt yourself......

We have to get over that and understand ANYBODY can be beaten........you have to go out and BEAT them.. Play to win..

Make them think twice... Get aggressive , and if you F up, keep aggressive.. Reset........

Archived