Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2015 free agent haul at the halfway point

justice98

I think a lot of these guys were brought in to be place holders for Scot's future draft picks. You only get so many picks a year and with how horrid of a roster we had, McC could only do "so much." With that said, I think he did more in one draft than we'd done the last 5 years. He bought some of these guys in to play so we go from god awful to just awful or mediocre. I belice he has a plan in place and this is just the first step.

Sounds quite plausible to me, and you can't argue with the horrid starting point he had to work with.

I think a lot of these guys were brought in to be place holders for Scot's future draft picks. 

My goodness, I really hope not. Cap space is an asset to be used to build a team. If we actually set out with the goal of spending on guys to keep roster spots warm, then that is a sad philosophy. Will Blackmon and Colt McCoy are placeholders, but they aren't costing us  anything. That's fine, but not spending millions on it.

My goodness, I really hope not. Cap space is an asset to be used to build a team. If we actually set out with the goal of spending on guys to keep roster spots warm, then that is a sad philosophy. Will Blackmon and Colt McCoy are placeholders, but they aren't costing us  anything. That's fine, but not spending millions on it.

You dont use cap space on year 1 of a rebuild  scot gave them a few 1 year parts but he knows we wouldnt win this year

You guys are joking about Knighton right? No idea what games you guys have been watching. We're seeing why he had no suitors in the off-season. Cooley has blasted him almost every week as well.

I didn't hear Cooley this week, but I hope he highlights how the Pats were averaging about 8 yards a carry straight up the gut this week. I've watched every game, our LBs suck, not on Knighton, he does his job and does it well.

You dont use cap space on year 1 of a rebuild  scot gave them a few 1 year parts but he knows we wouldnt win this year

I guess my thinking is, he only has so many picks and he used free agency in place of those picks so that we at least remain somewhat competitive.  Maybe he starts using the picks the next couple of drafts to replace those free agents on 2-3 year deals.  From what I remember, most of the free agent deals that were signed were very cap friendly for future years.  I'm just kind of guessing as to what his strategy is, since he said he doesn't like to use free agency to build a team.  Maybe once those free agent contracts are up, he'll have drafted and developed their replacements. :mellow:

Exactly.

If you try to build via FAs, you end up with what we had during Gibbs II. Old teams that peak out at 9-10 wins and have no upside.

You build your team through the draft first, then you use FAs to get that last piece or two that puts you over the top. The occasional value FA is okay though if you can get a solid starter for real cheap but that's pretty rare.

I'm hoping McC keeps sticking with that. We were actually a bit too FA happy last year IMO but it was mostly 1 year spare part type deals so it was fine. But spending on all those DL prevented us from drafting Leonard Williams and we need an infusion of youth on the DL.

The FA that were brought in have all been solid to great when healthy. Good Job Scot

We are under the Cap and the future of our Cap looks very good. All our FAs had reasonable contracts to work with. Good Job Bruce.

We are much more of a respectable team, then the last few years. The winning will come. We have a lot of 1/2 year guys really showing up and playing well and FAs that can walk if needed. We became respectable(for a 3-5 team) and have a bright future all in one single offseason.

Good job, from the owner (staying out of it), to the FO, to the coaches we have in place. This is a team on the rise.

FA this year was fine. I didn't expect a ton from this season anyway, and we've actually looked better than I thought we would (in most games).

I think most of the FA guys have been upgrades, not to say that means we're good or set at those positions, they've just been upgrades. I have been disappointed with the run defense most of all. I think the pass defense has exceeded my expectations most weeks (because I thought they'd be the weakest part of the team) and I think our QB pressure has been pretty terrible.

That's what I'm most disappointed in. Stats don't say everything, but being tied for 26th in sacks says something. Our DL is not generating the pressure I thought they would. If they were really stopping the run that would be one thing, but they're not even doing that. Even if they were just stonewalling people up the middle, GREAT, but they're not.

I thought our front 7 on D would be our team's strength this year and it's most definitely not. Our strength this season is probably, if I had to pick one (beyond our kicker), QB play I guess? Cousins has been playing better as the season wears on, and without Jackson or a run game for several weeks. Maybe the RG RT tandem? They've been a big surprise. 

Honestly, the best thing about this year has probably been some of draft picks and some of our 2nd year players who are stepping up to fill roles. (Breeland, Moses, Scherff, Jones sometimes, Crawford). This team is bad, but we knew that even with the FA signings. Heck, Scot said as much before the season began.

I think the only guy I'd say is a bust has been Paea. We signed him to a longer contract so obviously we expected more from him, but Baker's probably been the best DL we have and he's been stuck behind Baker. So, I'm not sure what to think of him.

Archived