Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GIF Breakdown: Cousins' Final Interception to Grant

thehbrwhammer

That was a beautiful pass. If Grant plays it right and doesn't go the wrong way and slip, we get the first down and are almost in FG range.

WTF is wrong with some of you?

This is where we miss Djax. He puts fear in CB's.

And then straight into RB talk, about a guy who obviously danced behind the line enough to not make the 53. Why?

That was a beautiful pass. If Grant plays it right and doesn't go the wrong way and slip, we get the first down and are almost in FG range.

We dont know Grant turned the wrong way. There might have been an adjustment in the route baed on a 6 man rush which meant he should have broken outside - but that is speculation. There is no one here on ES who has enough information to really know who to blame on that last pass.

We dont know Grant turned the wrong way. There might have been an adjustment in the route baed on a 6 man rush which meant he should have broken outside - but that is speculation. There is no one here on ES who has enough information to really know who to blame on that last pass.

the HC said Grant slipped and Cousins put it exactly where he was supposed to.

The receiver slipped. Yes Cousins was hurried, but even with that, if the receiver doesn't slip then worst outcome is a failed completion.

It's easy to forget that although Cousins wasn't perfect, he was INT free all of regular time, and led the team to the game tying field goal with only 24 seconds on the clock. Quite frankly I thought the game was over already, and was stunned we took it to OT.

We played damned well overall (with key players missing), one slip doesn't (or shouldn't) overshadow that.

Having watch the Falcons the week before I was pretty worried coming in to this game, and although I am gutted with the outcome, we came amazingly close. 

Honestly, if I had to pick a problem, it's us playing for the clock run down & field goal after the INT in the 4th. I was screaming don't run at the TV. Running had gone nowhere all game. I think it was too conservative.

That said, I thought we were simply unlucky. Garcon's juggle that popped the ball up for the INT, their fumble recovered in our end zone, and the slip for the INT. Ironically we could have won that game quite comfortably with a little luck.

Next time...

Head coaches say all kinds of things after games. Some of the things they say are accurate, others things not so much.

It's easy to forget that although Cousins wasn't perfect, he was INT free all of regular time, and led the team to the game tying field goal with only 24 seconds on the clock. Quite frankly I thought the game was over already, and was stunned we took it to OT.

He did throw a pick during regulation - the throw behind Garcon which ended up being bobbled right to the DB. Totally agree with you about that last drive for the FG though - thats something to build on.

Pre-snap read:  CB was off and was gonna bail.  WR has to recognize the inside-out leverage the CB was playing and change that route to an out or stem towards the out of bounds line.  He turned inside.  The QB read that play correctly pre-snap, ad put the ball where it was supposed to be.  Not Kurt's fault.  The first interception was low and behind, BUT Garcon had both hands on that ball; it was catchable.  Kurt's fault 35%, Garcon 65%.  Kurt had all day to throw, save for that last pass, and was kind of erratic all day (High passes across the middle, low-behind everywhere else). 

Pre-snap read:  CB was off and was gonna bail.  WR has to recognize the inside-out leverage the CB was playing and change that route to an out or stem towards the out of bounds line.  He turned inside.  The QB read that play correctly pre-snap, ad put the ball where it was supposed to be.  Not Kurt's fault.  The first interception was low and behind, BUT Garcon had both hands on that ball; it was catchable.  Kurt's fault 35%, Garcon 65%.  Kurt had all day to throw, save for that last pass, and was kind of erratic all day (High passes across the middle, low-behind everywhere else). 

Well Kurt was a heck of a QB (though a mediocre TV analyst). Kirk still has a lot of developing to do though  ;)

Disagree with you on the share of blame on the first pick - I would be the other way round 65% on Kirk and 35% on Garcon. Never want to miss behind.

I put the first one 100% on Kirk. That was just a bad ball.

The second one, I just feel like if Grant had not fell down then he could have or would have made some type of play on that ball.  Either he catches it or bobbles it. But if he's standing the DB doesn't catch it. But falling down really made an easy INT. To me that's on Grant because the QB is not expecting the wr to fall down.

I do sort of question why Kirk went to Grant in the first place. Crowder was really the one that was getting open and making plays. The coaches should have just kept feeding him on that drive, him and Thompson.

Kirk is learning on the job, as is some of his young wr's. This one was really tough to swallow but I feel like better days are ahead with this group on offense. We just have to stay the course.

Let me first state I am not an expert. Saying that, it looked as if Grant ran the wrong route, well, either he did or Carrier did. If You watch video, Carrier goes outside, Grant goes inside, this puts them basically on top of each other. Can't see anyone designing a play where both receivers are basically in same place.

I believe KC had a choice to go to MC or RG but according to pre-snap and seeing DB taking inside away from Grant decided to go outside. Maybe not interception but if RG ran right route, not intercepted. It definitely looked more like a miscommunication than anything else. I also don't think MC had his hands up to show frustration towards KC but to RG for not going outside.

Jay is a Cousins' enabler, there is no truth when discussing Kirk. If we want to believe it is because he learned some lessons about talking to the media after crushing his QB last year, fine, but his answer cannot be taken as fact. Cuz blamed himself, then added he needed to see tape to see more. That is a good answer. The throw was garbage from start to finish. Pretty sure Carrier was the hot read, but regardless that was too long a throw to try off the back foot in panic mode. Wing and prayer, not answered. Grant slipping and then being clipped secured a pick 6, but that was a poor decision and poor throw.

Jay is a Cousins' enabler, there is no truth when discussing Kirk. If we want to believe it is because he learned some lessons about talking to the media after crushing his QB last year, fine, but his answer cannot be taken as fact. Cuz blamed himself, then added he needed to see tape to see more. That is a good answer. The throw was garbage from start to finish. Pretty sure Carrier was the hot read, but regardless that was too long a throw to try off the back foot in panic mode. Wing and prayer, not answered. Grant slipping and then being clipped secured a pick 6, but that was a poor decision and poor throw.

Since when is a 12 yard comeback a hot read? That seems like an awfully long time to wait on a hot read. If anything, the receiver on the right side running a slant was the hot read, but they had several defenders ready to intercept anything thrown to that guy.

And I'm wondering what the logic is in your mind that receiver A running route A is a hot read, but receiver B running the exact same route is not the hot read and therefore it was a poor decision to throw to receiver B instead of receiver A.

Finally, as many of rg3s finest supporters so often forget, Gruden's critique of Rg3 in the media last year was a direct result of rg3 having a horrible game and then making a comment that even Aaron Rodgers has horrible games when the other 10 players on his team aren't playing well. Imo, Gruden would have lost the locker room last season if he hadn't put rg3 in his place. Did gruden take it too far? Maybe, maybe not. But he needed to say something harsh, certainly.

Since when is a 12 yard comeback a hot read? That seems like an awfully long time to wait on a hot read. If anything, the receiver on the right side running a slant was the hot read, but they had several defenders ready to intercept anything thrown to that guy.

And I'm wondering what the logic is in your mind that receiver A running route A is a hot read, but receiver B running the exact same route is not the hot read and therefore it was a poor decision to throw to receiver B instead of receiver A.

Finally, as many of rg3s finest supporters so often forget, Gruden's critique of Rg3 in the media last year was a direct result of rg3 having a horrible game and then making a comment that even Aaron Rodgers has horrible games when the other 10 players on his team aren't playing well. Imo, Gruden would have lost the locker room last season if he hadn't put rg3 in his place. Did gruden take it too far? Maybe, maybe not. But he needed to say something harsh, certainly.

I said I wasn't sure, but I thought the TE was the read.. The throw to Grant was even further, one of the toughest throws for a QB to make.

I am not talking about a single quote, or RGIII, Jay was over honest in the media last year when it came to both Robert and Kirk. He seemed to cut Colt the slack he is giving Cuz this year. Basically, like most coaches he protects his guy.

The only thing I care about is seeing the team win. The D is improved enough this team can win the division with what has transpired in the East. All it needs is consistent play from the Quarterback position. You can defend all you want, but the guy hasn't played four quarters of football or two games back to back yet. His QB rating is actually worse than last year through five games, he is on pace to throw 20 ints... This in an offense where the play calling errs on the side of caution.

The team has changed, still not sold on HC or QB, but I believe we will know for sure at the end of the season. Gruden must coach to win, the 2-Point call and the third down call were BAD. He must trust Cousins more and Kirk has to elevate his game. I am not sure he has more in him, but we have to find out. D is going to be top 10... He jave three RBs, the emergence of Crowder, an improved line, a kicker and punter who can flip field position on our favor, etc.

If Kirk can reduce stretches of inaccuracy and WTF decisions in the moment, he will be starting a playoff game in January.

I think Grant knew that the DBs hips put him in bad position to play the hitch so he hooked up. When he realized that Cousins read it different, he tried to slide out but slipped and fell.

With the inside leverage, Kirk saw that he had the out. By alignment Kirk threw that correctly. By leverage and body position, Grant made a smart read. Really, the DB made an excellent play more than the read was bad by either Grant or Kirk, in my opinion and based on what we know.

Having said that, Cousins mechanics were all over the map.

Larry Michael: "What happened on that final play?"

Gruden: "Well, they blitzed us a little bit, and uh... Ryan Grant ran a 9 yard stop route—8 yard stop route—and fell down. He slipped. He got his foot caught in the turf and Kirk threw it on time, where he was supposed to, but the receiver wasn't there, because he was on the ground."

Grant didn't run wrong route. The only reason he falls down is ONLY after trying to adjust to the ball. He runs a stop route, turns inside, ball is going wide outside, he tries to adjust and slips. It's a bad throw on Cousins part, no need to blame Grant. 

Stop route is running 8-9 yards and turn around to face QB for the ball.

Two runs and a bubble screen with the game on the line.......another two quarter long funk from the offense, a horrible RB rotation that never established a rhythm.

Should've never gotten to OT against a flat Falcons team that all but put a bow on it. Gruden alone lost this one yesterday. Joe Barry continues to out coach him every game and the opposition has put the onus on Gruden's passing game to beat them and it's not getting it done.

Roster-wise yesterday was all positive. This team is legitimately another good offseason away from being a good team.

Breaking down this OT pick is worthless, should have never even gotten to that point. Even if it did, a 5WR quick out should have never been called, another dumb ******* play call.

Gruden doesn't adjust either to the game situation or to the personnel he has. QB was inaccurate all game and you ask him to throw the toughest/most dangerous throw known to man IN OT NO LESS! What a ******* moron.

Cooley pretty much just echoed what Gruden said with regards to the pick six.  Grant fell, and if he didn't fall it would've been a completion.  

Pretty much confirms why I stopped listening to Cooley about two years ago when he was flip flopping about Griffin III and Shanahan.  

If Grant was supposed to run an out route, sure, it would've been a completion if he doesn't fall. However, Gruden said he runs a stop route (running 8-9 yards and face QB for ball) and not an out route. Grant only slips when he sees the ball is going out wide and tries to make adjustment. His initial route is fine. Cousins bad throw and adjustment makes him fall. 

Two runs and a bubble screen with the game on the line.......another two quarter long funk from the offense, a horrible RB rotation that never established a rhythm.

Should've never gotten to OT against a flat Falcons team that all but put a bow on it. Gruden alone lost this one yesterday. Joe Barry continues to out coach him every game and the opposition has put the onus on Gruden's passing game to beat them and it's not getting it done.

Roster-wise yesterday was all positive. This team is legitimately another good offseason away from being a good team.

Breaking down this OT pick is worthless, should have never even gotten to that point. Even if it did, a 5WR quick out should have never been called, another dumb ******* play call.

Gruden doesn't adjust either to the game situation or to the personnel he has. QB was inaccurate all game and you ask him to throw the toughest/most dangerous throw known to man IN OT NO LESS! What a ******* moron.

We got many breaks from Atlanta yesterday that we should've won in regulation. Matt Bryant missed two easy FGs (6 points), they turned over the ball twice in FG range, and another one put us in position to try to put the game away. Not attempting a pass in the end zone once is just terrible coaching because at that point, you're coaching not to lose rather than win. 

The two runs and wr screen with the game on the line was what was most disturbing to me. You haven't run the damn ball all game long. I can understand maybe a run on first down to get in a little closer. But the second one was just pure BS. And of course the wr screen just screamed, "we're too chicken sheet to put it in the end zone!" 

Should have never went to overtime in the first place.

. It's not like we have a Brady or Manning back there. There are going to be growing pains.

People don't want growing pains. This is an all or none society. Like someone told me "this isn't the 1990's QB's are expected to be game ready now. The lack of game experience is no excuse." I don't know who made that rule but it seems to be the general concensus on this board.

This is where we miss Djax.  He puts fear in CB's.   It will be amazing what he will do.  He will help open up the offense.   I'm also convinced we need to activate Trey Williams.  

He adds a dimension to our running game we just don't have.   We have two bulls that need decent blocking and momentum.  Down hill runners.  Can't make players miss.  Don't have quick burst from a stand still.  We keep trying.   I commend the committment.

Freeman killed us.  But got a lot of his yardage based on his skill set.  He is both quick, explosive, deceptively powerful and can make people miss.   I think Atlanta can ill afford to lose him.

Thompson is fast, but not  quick out of breaks.  Doesn't make people miss.  Limited burst and power.  I think the most talented back from a breaking ankles standpoint on the team is Trey Williams.

Imagine defenses dealing with Djax, Crowder, Reed, Trey Williams, and Pierre. 

Crowder, Djax and Williams in space.

Come on management. I liked Silas as well as a tweener but he's out.  We have two bulls and nat.   Need a tweener.  Still think Trey most gifted runner.  Po man's Sanders  LOL   Dude averaged 7 yards a carry in college.  Another Scotty Mac find.  

Remember in pre-season on one of his cuts he almost broke his own ankles.     Watching Freeman just got me to thinking.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Speaking of Djax, when is he expected back or is it a week to week thing? Another thing that bothers me is how come we seem to have the most injuries in the entire NFL every year?

Archived