Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

Slate, are you missing the point? You can buy a gun. You just can't conceal it without a CCP. That is not in any way shape or form infringing on your constitutional rights. Can't get approved to purchase a handgun? Ok, go out and buy 20 rifles/shotguns at a gun show or even a retailer.

You missed the point. Carrying a firearm has been identified as part of the second amendment. The issue is how far should the government be allowed to regulate it. You want to tell me it's $45 to file the paperwork, okay. But I,has serious problems with the government mandating a $500 process just so I can exercise my right. We wouldn't stand for it with,voting. If someone on the right tried to pass legislation on abortion with similar requirements, we'd have to listen to pundits screaming about the war on women for weeks. There would be protests in the street and topless demonstrations.

Why do only "we" have the right to firearms for sale defense? Are non-citizens not people too?

Sure they are people.  But this would be a potential disaster waiting to happen if anyone can just come into our country and start purchasing guns.

But I think you know this, so I'm not going to further argue about this with you or go into any scenarios/examples.  Feel free to use your imagination on what could possibly happen if anyone could purchase a gun in the US.

Sure they are people. But this would be a potential disaster waiting to happen if anyone can just come into our country and start purchasing guns.

But I think you know this, so I'm not going to further argue about this with you or go into any scenarios/examples. Feel free to use your imagination on what could possibly happen if anyone could purchase a gun in the US.

A potential disaster? You don't have to be a citizen in Virginia. Is it a "disaster?"

Yes, please do.

Shall we have mandatory training and classes that you must pay for in order to vote?

Should the government be allowed to force you to buy a special voting license?

Prior to voting, should the voting officials be required to run a background check on you?

Should you have to have a note from your mental health professional, that you must pay for, in order to cast a vote?

Are there people in danger of being killed all over the country on a daily basis by the right to vote? You seem to want to treat every single right exactly the same way, but they aren't the same. You're obviously entitled to your opinion but to say the right to vote should be treated exactly the same as the right to have a deadly weapon is ludicrous to me.

Are there people in danger of being killed all over the country on a daily basis by the right to vote? You seem to want to treat every single right exactly the same way, but they aren't the same. You're obviously entitled to your opinion but to say the right to vote should be treated exactly the same as the right to have a deadly weapon is ludicrous to me.

Oh yes ... Yes they are. Remember 2000? How many people did voting Bush in kill? Hundreds of thousands.

• Like 1

But he goes further than that... he doesn't want it to even reach the threshold that we have put on the right to vote. No age restriction, no state restrictions, no registration, no loss of rights for felonies, etc. With this interpretation the right to own a gun may be considered greater and more important than any other right...the right to vote, the right to free speech, etc.

But he goes further than that... he doesn't want it to even reach the threshold that we have put on the right to vote. No age restriction, no state restrictions, no registration, no loss of rights for felonies, etc. With this interpretation the right to own a gun may be considered greater and more important than any other right...the right to vote, the right to free speech, etc.

I'd settle for the same restrictions that are put on voting at this point.

And at no point have I put the right to keep and bear arms ahead of any other right.

A potential disaster? You don't have to be a citizen in Virginia. Is it a "disaster?"

I lied, I'll respond, then I'm done.  I thought you have to have proof of US residency (which does include non-citizens) then follow the state regulations in place?  

I may have mis-read what you were talking about, but I was initially responding to non-US citizens say just traveling here or coming over illegally being able to purchase a gun.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

No, you didn't. You opposed them when I pointed some of the basic ones out.

Several states allow felons to vote.

Citizenship is not enforced for voting.

You can vote out of state, it's called an absentee ballot. Furthermore, you can reside in multiple places in the US and you are allowed to vote in local elections in those places.

Because here are the requirements for voting in America:

1. Show up with ID

2. Cast vote

4. Profit

I lied, I'll respond, then I'm done.  I thought you have to have proof of US residency (which does include non-citizens) then follow the state regulations in place?  

I may have mis-read what you were talking about, but was responding in regards to non-US citizens say just traveling here or coming over illegally being able to purchase a gun.

Proof of US residency =/= citizenship.

You see, there are these people who come here. They are from foreign countries. They are not citizens, but the government gives them permission to live here. But the important part is that they are people too, and have rights, just like "us."

Edited by Slateman

lol, really, where?

You have to register to vote. You can not vote in a state where you are not a citizen. You must be at least 18 to vote. Felons lose the right to vote.

You said, you are opposed to being restricted in your ability to operate a gun outside your home state. Well, if you live in Virginia you can not vote in Michigan for office there. You haven't said exactly where you lie on age restrictions or mandatory registration of every voter, but do you support that every gun owner must register to own a gun or be of a certain age? You said you do not believe that felons or non citizens should be restricted from gun use, but non citizens can not vote in our local or federal elections.

You have to register to vote. You can not vote in a state where you are not a citizen. You must be at least 18 to vote. Felons lose the right to vote.

You said, you are opposed to being restricted in your ability to operate a gun outside your home state. Well, if you live in Virginia you can not vote in Michigan for office there. You haven't said exactly where you lie on age restrictions or mandatory registration of every voter, but do you support that every gun owner must register to own a gun or be of a certain age? You said you do not believe that felons or non citizens should be restricted from gun use, but non citizens can not vote in our local or federal elections.

Many states automatically register you to vote if you have a valid driver's license, regardless of citizenship status.

You can vote in a state where you are not a citizen, because the supposed ban on non-citizens voting only applies for federal elections.

You can actually vote in another state's elections, you just have to be a resident there. The only time you can't is for federal elections.

Not all felons lose the right to vote.

I think you should be allowed to vote if you can be tried as an adult or you're an emancipated minor.

No to mandatory gun and voter registration.

Where did you hear this?   

Please read up on California. They can't even ask you at the polls and they don't require any verification. They simply take whoever has a driver's license and put them on the list.

Frankly, if you're a legal residence in this country, you should be allowed to vote. If you're not, you should be deported.

Several states allow felons to vote.

Citizenship is not enforced for voting.

You can vote out of state, it's called an absentee ballot. Furthermore, you can reside in multiple places in the US and you are allowed to vote in local elections in those places.

Because here are the requirements for voting in America:

1. Show up with ID

2. Cast vote

4. Profit

Proof of US residency =/= citizenship.

You see, there are these people who come here. They are from foreign countries. They are not citizens, but the government gives them permission to live here. But the important part is that they are people too, and have rights, just like "us."

Again, I was speaking to non-residents in other situations. 

Details are scarce right now for the most part.  It sounds like the main gist of it is an expanded definition of "dealer" which might in turn expand who has to perform background checks.  CNN also mentioned something about increased funding to agencies to enforce current laws.

Haha. Oh man, now we're into the North Korea Obama meme on here. That was sooo 6 months ago on Breitbart.

Do you know what is expected in the executive order? Or is your point about style and not substance?

Details are scarce right now for the most part. It sounds like the main gist of it is an expanded definition of "dealer" which might in turn expand who has to perform background checks. CNN also mentioned something about increased funding to agencies to enforce current laws.

That's what I saw as well. I'm thinking of going to nation's gunshow this weekend to see what is up. Wonder how many "loophole" venders will be there.

Details are scarce right now for the most part.  It sounds like the main gist of it is an expanded definition of "dealer" which might in turn expand who has to perform background checks.  CNN also mentioned something about increased funding to agencies to enforce current laws.

Doesn't seem unreasonable.

Not sure how anyone draw any conclusion based on the facts available. Since there are none. Unless they're a cheerleader of course

You should keep on the lookout for people drawing conclusions...and cheerleaders, too. I was just responding to Dog of War. His comment didn't seem unreasonable to me.

Edited by TryTheBeal!