Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

8 minutes ago, visionary said:

I enjoy visiting Richmond....

😀

I do to. And some parts are real nice. Others are a **** hole. Same with Hampton roads. 

@mcsluggo out of curiosity do you know how many shows per year involve gun violence being prominent in each episode in the US vs Sweden?

I’m willing to bet Sweden has a lot of factors that make their murder and violence rate way different than ours. 

Their culture is just completely dofferent. It’s not gun-centric. They care about healthcare and education. Their criminal justice system laughs at ours. Their quality of life is higher. 

But you know all that too. 

So you know access to guns is only part of the equation. 

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I mean, they banned titties from TV and you don’t have women running around with their hoo hoos out.

Count the number of shows that involve guns in some manner.... 

Edited by visionary

16 minutes ago, Springfield said:

How about banning guns from TV?  Kinda like smoking.  If you don’t want people to buy cigarettes, just make it uncool.  Make guns uncool and perhaps gun violence goes down.

Just throwing **** at a fan.

Yeah I want whatever we ban from ownership banned from TV movies and music. I’d be for banning all guns from them. 

Our gun culture is out of control. Absolutely out of control.

Just now, tshile said:

Yeah I want whatever we ban from ownership banned from TV movies and music. I’d be for banning all guns from them. 

Our gun culture is out of control. Absolutely out of control.

Or just reclassify the ratings.  Don’t ban them, but make it so 12 year olds arent cheering the good guys shooting up the bad guys but it’s all good cause they show no blood or gore.

Like how many PG-13 movies are full of gun violence but it’s all good cause they don’t show the results.

Now I sound like one of those jagoff parents that made the WWF change their name to WWE cause of some personal vendetta.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I mean, they banned titties from TV and you don’t have women running around with their hoo hoos out.

Hoo hoos?  Where in the H-E-double hockey stick did you pick up that term?

8 minutes ago, visionary said:

Agreed, but how do we fix this...realistically. 

Shoot our way out? :shrug:

12 minutes ago, visionary said:

Agreed, but how do we fix this...realistically. 

Ban semi-automatic guns from ownership including confiscating existing guns. 

Ban from movies, tv, music and video games. 

If you think we have a gun culture problem then you only have so many options. And you have to recognize it’s a slow process to change culture. Removing those guns is the only short term thing I can think of. 

@visionary

i guess it depends on what part of the problem you’re talking about. 

Of youre talking king about general gun violence I think that’s a side effect of socioeconomic factors as well as gun culture. I’d be curious how much violent crime there would be in DC if they ran more like Sweden or Norway than like the US. Education, Job opportunities and the criminal justice system come to mind first. 

While im interested in bettering the gun violence issue, the truth is I don’t live in an area with that problem and I’m allowed to do certain things to help myself. I can own and carry firearms. So it’s not a big issue to me.  I’d like to see it fixed but it’s not the main issue to me. 

But I do have kids and they will go to public school. And my family and I do attend events - concerts, plays, movies, sports. So the mass shooter problem is much bigger to me. My family is more likely to be affected by that then being mugged at gunpoint. 

And I don’t know how we do anything about that other than remove the semi automatic weapons. Out of the house and out of the culture. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Hoo hoos?  Where in the H-E-double hockey stick did you pick up that term?

It was either that or milk bubbles.  Gotta keep it PG when your talking about banning guns from TV.

(plus I mean, how serious can I be about this topic any more?)

51 minutes ago, tshile said:

I think you just sound like someone that realizes our culture is part of the problem. 

Yeah but I don’t know if I really, seriously, want that kind of censorship.  Like, I’m all for freedom of speech and I’m all for art and letting people watch whatever kinds of stuff they want to watch.

At heart, I’m kind of a libertarian when it comes to the arts.  I think people should be left to watch whatever they want.  If it sucks then people won’t watch.

Sure, our society does have a problem, but do we want the government censoring what we can view because of it.  Maybe it is the answer. I dunno.

Also, you sound like a 100% different poster between this page and last.

As far as this television argument goes, I don't know what portion of violent entertainment poisons our culture, but I still think blaming TV or video games to be looking at an anthill instead of looking at Mt. Everest. After all, gaming is world wide. American entertainment is world wide. And Americans are not genetically more susceptible, more evil, and more violent than every other nation on earth.

It seems to me that blaming everything but the guns is wrongheaded. The reason we have so much gun violence in this country is because we have so many guns. It is because we have such ease of access to these guns. Following that, there are minor effects. I'm sure video games and TV play a minor role. I'm sure mental health and drug culture play a minor role. I'm equally sure that other nations suffer from the ills of TV, video games, drugs and alcohol too.

The biggest frustration I have and it's the only reason why I'm not an advocate for gun bans is that Pandora's Box has been opened and we can't pretend a ban will make them disappear. Non the less, we can make it tougher for guns to get into the hands of bad guys and those too irresponsible or too unstable to handle them correctly. And yes, I realize that laws will not be a panacea, but enforced and fully funded control measures will prevent  some of it... just like it has prevented some of it already in the US and how it has proven to reduce some of it in every other nation on Earth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So for people wanting to ban guns in tv or films...how would that work for police/detective shows (some of the most common shows on tv), westerns, or involving counter terrorism, or superheros for example?

Edited by visionary

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Yeah but I don’t know if I really, seriously, want that kind of censorship.  Like, I’m all for freedom of speech and I’m all for art and letting people watch whatever kinds of stuff they want to watch.

At heart, I’m kind of a libertarian when it comes to the arts.  I think people should be left to watch whatever they want.  If it sucks then people won’t watch.

Sure, our society does have a problem, but do we want the government censoring what we can view because of it.  Maybe it is the answer. I dunno.

Also, you sound like a 100% different poster between this page and last.

Im like you. But sometimes people need to be treated like children and after a decade of terrible tragedies it appears most of our country are children when it comes to the gun problem. 

As for sounding different. It’s a matter of exactly what we’re discussing. Around 3 years ago I came to the conclusion that semi automatic weapons need to be banned if we care about this because they’re just too powerful. Expecting it to be done is different, I’m guessing it’s impossible. But it’s the most effective single move. I also decided you have to confiscate them.  Many of these shooters took the guns from their parents. If they’re too dangerous to own then they’re too dangerous to own. 

But when people say ban ar-15s I baulk. They’ll be replaced with something functionally similar. There are other guns that do the same thing and don’t get used because they’re not as popular. They will become as popular when you ban the ar-15. It’s not an effective move. It’s a feel good move. I’ve got no desire for dumb feel good moves. It’s pushed by people that are clueless about guns. 

Every now and then I’ll go on “yeah but you can’t pass that law in this country” kick which kind of mixes it all up. 

For example - I’m for banning semi-autos but realistically that’s probably not possible. 

I’m for laws that will actually impact the issue. Even if it’s only by a little. I’m against feel good crap that doesn’t do anything. 

Im also big on putting some resources towards the whole “why are we raising people that want to murder large swaths of neighbors?” But when you mention that stuff you get mocked. Even by mental health professionals (which they won’t ever explain to me why)

13 minutes ago, visionary said:

So for people wanting to ban guns in tv or films...how would that work for police/detective shows (some of the most common shows on tv), westerns, or involving counter terrorism, or superheros for example?

Gone. 

and no I don’t care. 

24 minutes ago, visionary said:

Replace them with walkie talkies.

giphy.gif

Or Hoo Hoos.....

Edited by clietas
  • Haha 2

One more point for those advocating gun rights to consider. 

Nearly forty-nine percent of the electorate voted for Trump. Nearly 90% of Republicans support him. 

Do you really think Americans are smart enough to be entrusted with deadly weapons?

In an upcoming vote by Missouri’s state senate, the state is expected to pass a bill that would nullify ALL Federal gun laws and regulations, and make enforcement of those laws by federal officers within the State of Missouri a criminal offense. Republicans control both U.S. Senate seats and more than two-thirds of the seats in both the Missouri House and Senate.

http://thesentinel.net/politics/missouri-bans-all-federal-gun-control-laws-in-23-10-vote/?fbclid=IwAR2NafAN-zNCoWalxditAX8I43Lb1_JmZUme_3Q98Ty6rsT0zXGPTuWCt_g

I can't find any articles about this on a site that isn't crazy, nut-job, right wing mouth piece.  Anyone heard about this?  What would it mean legally?

24 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

http://thesentinel.net/politics/missouri-bans-all-federal-gun-control-laws-in-23-10-vote/?fbclid=IwAR2NafAN-zNCoWalxditAX8I43Lb1_JmZUme_3Q98Ty6rsT0zXGPTuWCt_g

I can't find any articles about this on a site that isn't crazy, nut-job, right wing mouth piece.  Anyone heard about this?  What would it mean legally?

That seems unconstitutional....   It's one thing to not enforce laws locally, but to stop the federal government from enforcing them seems like a Supremacy Clause issue.  Not entirely sure though.

Edited by visionary

They are basically trying to do with federal gun laws what Sanctuary states/cities try to do.

the gun laws remain, but the people at state level will not be allowed to enforce them.

add

HB786, would prevent all state agencies and their employees from enforcing any federal law that infringes the Second Amendment in any way,

Edited by twa