• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

Dont Taze Me Bro

The Gun Control Debate Thread - Say hello to my little thread

Slate, are you missing the point? You can buy a gun. You just can't conceal it without a CCP. That is not in any way shape or form infringing on your constitutional rights. Can't get approved to purchase a handgun? Ok, go out and buy 20 rifles/shotguns at a gun show or even a retailer.

You missed the point. Carrying a firearm has been identified as part of the second amendment. The issue is how far should the government be allowed to regulate it. You want to tell me it's $45 to file the paperwork, okay. But I,has serious problems with the government mandating a $500 process just so I can exercise my right. We wouldn't stand for it with,voting. If someone on the right tried to pass legislation on abortion with similar requirements, we'd have to listen to pundits screaming about the war on women for weeks. There would be protests in the street and topless demonstrations.

Why do only "we" have the right to firearms for sale defense? Are non-citizens not people too?

Sure they are people.  But this would be a potential disaster waiting to happen if anyone can just come into our country and start purchasing guns.

But I think you know this, so I'm not going to further argue about this with you or go into any scenarios/examples.  Feel free to use your imagination on what could possibly happen if anyone could purchase a gun in the US.

Sure they are people. But this would be a potential disaster waiting to happen if anyone can just come into our country and start purchasing guns.

But I think you know this, so I'm not going to further argue about this with you or go into any scenarios/examples. Feel free to use your imagination on what could possibly happen if anyone could purchase a gun in the US.

A potential disaster? You don't have to be a citizen in Virginia. Is it a "disaster?"

Yes, please do.

Shall we have mandatory training and classes that you must pay for in order to vote?

Should the government be allowed to force you to buy a special voting license?

Prior to voting, should the voting officials be required to run a background check on you?

Should you have to have a note from your mental health professional, that you must pay for, in order to cast a vote?

Are there people in danger of being killed all over the country on a daily basis by the right to vote? You seem to want to treat every single right exactly the same way, but they aren't the same. You're obviously entitled to your opinion but to say the right to vote should be treated exactly the same as the right to have a deadly weapon is ludicrous to me.

Are there people in danger of being killed all over the country on a daily basis by the right to vote? You seem to want to treat every single right exactly the same way, but they aren't the same. You're obviously entitled to your opinion but to say the right to vote should be treated exactly the same as the right to have a deadly weapon is ludicrous to me.

Oh yes ... Yes they are. Remember 2000? How many people did voting Bush in kill? Hundreds of thousands.

• Like 1

But he goes further than that... he doesn't want it to even reach the threshold that we have put on the right to vote. No age restriction, no state restrictions, no registration, no loss of rights for felonies, etc. With this interpretation the right to own a gun may be considered greater and more important than any other right...the right to vote, the right to free speech, etc.

But he goes further than that... he doesn't want it to even reach the threshold that we have put on the right to vote. No age restriction, no state restrictions, no registration, no loss of rights for felonies, etc. With this interpretation the right to own a gun may be considered greater and more important than any other right...the right to vote, the right to free speech, etc.

I'd settle for the same restrictions that are put on voting at this point.

And at no point have I put the right to keep and bear arms ahead of any other right.

I'd settle for the same restrictions that are put on voting at this point.

And at no point have I put the right to keep and bear arms ahead of any other right.

No, you didn't. You opposed them when I pointed some of the basic ones out.

A potential disaster? You don't have to be a citizen in Virginia. Is it a "disaster?"

I lied, I'll respond, then I'm done.  I thought you have to have proof of US residency (which does include non-citizens) then follow the state regulations in place?  

I may have mis-read what you were talking about, but I was initially responding to non-US citizens say just traveling here or coming over illegally being able to purchase a gun.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

No, you didn't. You opposed them when I pointed some of the basic ones out.

Several states allow felons to vote.

Citizenship is not enforced for voting.

You can vote out of state, it's called an absentee ballot. Furthermore, you can reside in multiple places in the US and you are allowed to vote in local elections in those places.

Because here are the requirements for voting in America:

1. Show up with ID

2. Cast vote

4. Profit

I lied, I'll respond, then I'm done.  I thought you have to have proof of US residency (which does include non-citizens) then follow the state regulations in place?  

I may have mis-read what you were talking about, but was responding in regards to non-US citizens say just traveling here or coming over illegally being able to purchase a gun.

Proof of US residency =/= citizenship.

You see, there are these people who come here. They are from foreign countries. They are not citizens, but the government gives them permission to live here. But the important part is that they are people too, and have rights, just like "us."

Edited by Slateman

lol, really, where?

You have to register to vote. You can not vote in a state where you are not a citizen. You must be at least 18 to vote. Felons lose the right to vote.

You said, you are opposed to being restricted in your ability to operate a gun outside your home state. Well, if you live in Virginia you can not vote in Michigan for office there. You haven't said exactly where you lie on age restrictions or mandatory registration of every voter, but do you support that every gun owner must register to own a gun or be of a certain age? You said you do not believe that felons or non citizens should be restricted from gun use, but non citizens can not vote in our local or federal elections.

You have to register to vote. You can not vote in a state where you are not a citizen. You must be at least 18 to vote. Felons lose the right to vote.

You said, you are opposed to being restricted in your ability to operate a gun outside your home state. Well, if you live in Virginia you can not vote in Michigan for office there. You haven't said exactly where you lie on age restrictions or mandatory registration of every voter, but do you support that every gun owner must register to own a gun or be of a certain age? You said you do not believe that felons or non citizens should be restricted from gun use, but non citizens can not vote in our local or federal elections.

Many states automatically register you to vote if you have a valid driver's license, regardless of citizenship status.

You can vote in a state where you are not a citizen, because the supposed ban on non-citizens voting only applies for federal elections.

You can actually vote in another state's elections, you just have to be a resident there. The only time you can't is for federal elections.

Not all felons lose the right to vote.

I think you should be allowed to vote if you can be tried as an adult or you're an emancipated minor.

No to mandatory gun and voter registration.

Where did you hear this?   

Please read up on California. They can't even ask you at the polls and they don't require any verification. They simply take whoever has a driver's license and put them on the list.

Frankly, if you're a legal residence in this country, you should be allowed to vote. If you're not, you should be deported.

Oh man, where is that old popcorn smiley when you need it?

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

Several states allow felons to vote.

Citizenship is not enforced for voting.

You can vote out of state, it's called an absentee ballot. Furthermore, you can reside in multiple places in the US and you are allowed to vote in local elections in those places.

Because here are the requirements for voting in America:

1. Show up with ID

2. Cast vote

4. Profit

Proof of US residency =/= citizenship.

You see, there are these people who come here. They are from foreign countries. They are not citizens, but the government gives them permission to live here. But the important part is that they are people too, and have rights, just like "us."

Again, I was speaking to non-residents in other situations. 

I figured this thread would be going again with word about the upcoming executive order expected in the next few days. What are people's thoughts?

I figured this thread would be going again with word about the upcoming executive order expected in the next few days. What are people's thoughts?

Facebook is an "end times" ****show right now. That's all I got. I'll be interested to see what the Order is and how it may or may not be applied.

Well know one really knows what the Dear Leader will do. Or how long it will be declared legally binding.

• Like 1

Well know one really knows what the Dear Leader will do. Or how long it will be declared legally binding.

Haha. Oh man, now we're into the North Korea Obama meme on here. That was sooo 6 months ago on Breitbart.

Details are scarce right now for the most part.  It sounds like the main gist of it is an expanded definition of "dealer" which might in turn expand who has to perform background checks.  CNN also mentioned something about increased funding to agencies to enforce current laws.

Haha. Oh man, now we're into the North Korea Obama meme on here. That was sooo 6 months ago on Breitbart.

Do you know what is expected in the executive order? Or is your point about style and not substance?

Details are scarce right now for the most part. It sounds like the main gist of it is an expanded definition of "dealer" which might in turn expand who has to perform background checks. CNN also mentioned something about increased funding to agencies to enforce current laws.

That's what I saw as well. I'm thinking of going to nation's gunshow this weekend to see what is up. Wonder how many "loophole" venders will be there.

Details are scarce right now for the most part.  It sounds like the main gist of it is an expanded definition of "dealer" which might in turn expand who has to perform background checks.  CNN also mentioned something about increased funding to agencies to enforce current laws.

Doesn't seem unreasonable.

Not sure how anyone draw any conclusion based on the facts available. Since there are none. Unless they're a cheerleader of course

You should keep on the lookout for people drawing conclusions...and cheerleaders, too. I was just responding to Dog of War. His comment didn't seem unreasonable to me.

Edited by TryTheBeal!