Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Good argument for VAR... you honestly can't tell me that you saw the twist bite in real time.. the studs on shin was also bad.

The punch on Morrison.  The goalie pulling down Altidore's shorts.  Just grade-A bozo stuff from el salvador 

8 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

The punch on Morrison.  The goalie pulling down Altidore's shorts.  Just grade-A bozo stuff from el salvador 

Not just ES, most of those tiny nations make an abomination of the game.  They whine, cry, roll on the ground for minutes over the tiniest contact.  Mexico ain't much better, but at least they can play the game.  Makes me laugh how these nations who live and die and breathe by the game, suck so bad at it.

VAR coming to CONCACAF would be amazing, would change the game SO much. If any federation needs VAR its CONCACAF due to the refs being **** and all of the dirty play. Heck, that game against Mexico that we drew if we had VAR we would have been up a man and probably won it.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

I agree with all the above stuff. Ref was a ****ing moron, and should sit a good, long suspension after that joke last night. Worst call may have been the card on Nagbe, and the assistant botched the offside on Zardes that cost the first score.

As far as the game: another butt ugly job by this US squad, and I don't EVER want to see that back 4 together again. Had it not been a crap El Salvador team, the US probably gives up 4 or more that game. This squad is really sub par, and I'll be interested to see who Arenas chooses for the WC squad. The only players that looked the part last night were Howard, Nagbe, Morris, and Arriola. Dempsey looked disinterested, and Altidore continues to suck any time he dons the USA kit. Can't get the youngsters up soon enough for seasoning, and to get a rapport going with Pulisic, IMO.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Hedges sucked so badly and has all tournament. Not sure why Arena thought he should have another chance instead of Miazga.

I think Bruce knows that too.  I doubt Hedges gets a sniff at any WC qualifiers.  I think Miazga is a lock for those rosters.

This was the best I have seen Bradley look in awhile, and our d was generally solid. Howard saved us twice with great saves.  I know Dempsey will get justifiable press, and his footwork creates so much. I just think the other two would get my first and second stars for the game.

• Like 1

I will be honest -- until ~ 1 year ago I was just a "casual" soccer fan.... not a "casual" USMNT fan... "fleeting" might be the word.  In the past year or so I've watched more soccer than I ever in my 30+ years of existence, played the heck out of FIFA 17 (a game which I hadn't touched since like FIFA 2002).... so picked up a bit.  

I stand by my comment that the US plays a "brutiful" type of game -- the touches, skills by the team as a whole are horrible when you compare them to what you would see from La Liga, Premier, Bundis and Calcio on a regular basis.  However, the US attempt to make it up with scrappy endurance and physical play.

I've always hated on Bradley -- heck not sure how long this thread is but go back to 2014 and you'll probably see me ask "why is Bradley on the team" -- then it hit me today... "Bradley is a Defensive Mid -- not an attacking mid" -- yet not sure the commentaries, etc. make the same type of distinction we should.  Bradley played awesome great defense ... but he's never been one to dribble through anyone (again, brutiful)... to his credit he actually has some offensive skill, but he's truly defensive minded.  

Altidore had a great finish today -- but that goal was created by Dempsey.... US needs more players like that.... Nagbe, Pulisic, and Dempsey are 3 that can be creators for USMNT -- although their crossing seems pretty horrendous whenever they get into a good crossing position. 

That free kick from Dempsey was filthy... again -- we need 2-3 before we can talk about advancing past the round of 16, but I'll take this brutiful game today.... now wait for the let-down against Mexico's B side....  although I don't know who else US has in Europe that could come over except Pulisic.... 

Far and away the best this team had looked this competition. Lots of players had their best games last night. Nagbe wreaking havoc with the CR right side, Morris giving hard work all night and scaring early, Acosta and Bradley controlling the mid, Zusi and Arriola working well together (but Arriola lad, gotta work on those crosses.) Altidore had another, all too typical, blah game, then gets the finish on a gorgeous through ball from Dempsey.

As for the future, Fergasun, the U-20 team put on a solid display at their WC last month with European playing guys like De la Torre, Carter-Vickers, Palmer-Brown, and Lennon leading the charge, and a crazy talented, if enigmatic, Zalelem having to sit out. Then there was the breakout of 17 year old ginger striker Josh Sargent...just hope he goes to Europe to hone his game. There's also the McKinnie brothers and Haji Wright at Shalke among others. And, let's not forget Bobby Wood and Julian Green. 2018 WC will be a bunch of older players, I think, and will be disappointing for many fans, but there is talent in the US pipeline. Just hope Bruce gets them up to play with Pulisic soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fergasun said:

That free kick from Dempsey was filthy... again -- we need 2-3 before we can talk about advancing past the round of 16, but I'll take this brutiful game today.... now wait for the let-down against Mexico's B side....  although I don't know who else US has in Europe that could come over except Pulisic.... 

You'll see.  U.S. has 5+ starters not in the Gold Cup due to commitments.  Pulisic, Yedlin, Brooks, Wood, Johnson, Chandler, Cameron all start or will see major time. Gooch, Green, Johansson, Boyd, Morales, Zelalem and others all have a year to get themselves on the team.  So as you can see, the WC team will look very little like this Gold Cup team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Great news. Didn't want to see Mexico again. 

USA can possibly beat Jamaica. 

Jamaica looked very loose in the back, especially first half, Mexico just couldn't take advantage. The Reggae Boys play a free flowing game and have tons of speed. They will put lots of pressure on the US back line. I think the US needs to score first.

I'd like to see Dempsey and Morris start up top, bring Jozy on late if they need a goal. I think the rest of the lineup stays the same. I just don't want to see Hedges, Morrow, or Lichaj anywhere near the pitch, unless they're seeing out a two goal lead with 5 minutes left...and, even then...

I think Dempsey's performance solidifies his future role for the USMNT.  I doubt we see him start much going forward.

I'd like to see the exact same lineup as we saw against CR.  That was the best Michael Bradley has looked in YEARS.  I dont know if it's because of Acosta or Nagbe, but that was the best midfield performance in years.  

I cant wait to see our full NT this fall.

55 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Jamaica looked very loose in the back, especially first half, Mexico just couldn't take advantage. The Reggae Boys play a free flowing game and have tons of speed. They will put lots of pressure on the US back line. I think the US needs to score first.

No team is looser in the back than the Americans.  The Jamaicans don't work the ball like the Mexicans, but they are indeed fast and speed has beaten the US several times.

I expect a 3-2 type game.