Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

To be fair, the US dominated possession, created more chances, and two clear hand balls in the box against Venezuela with neither given.

Sweet goal from Pulisic too. Need to find quality young talent to build around him Bruce.

Tough loss for the U20s.  Venezuela outplayed us the whole game.  But in the waning moments tied 0-0 we had an open look and missed (sound familiar?).  And instead lost 2-1 in extra time (again, sound familiar?). 

Good news for future though, Jesse Gonzales has accepted a call up for the Gold Cup.  He's 23 and the now future GK for the US after playing youth levels all the way up to U23 for Mexico.  

50 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

I will say as soon as I had mouthed jozy he turned out with a good final 70 minutes. Hopefully he can match it on Sunday 

I think we will see Wood and Dempsey Sunday.  

Overlooked tobight was the play of Nagbe and Villafana.  Both were awesome. 

We we are one game closer to not seeing Bradley on the pitch for the US.  

And wtf happened to Fabian Johnson.  When did he start to suck?

13 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Villafana was okay, IMO, caught too far upfield a few times that led to chances. Nagbe was MOTM had Pulisic not nailed a brace. Dude was everywhere.

I've been thinking for a while now that maybe Johnson could fill that #6 role, ANYBODY just to get Bradley the **** outta there. Fabian is giving almost zero to the attack.

Still a bit miffed to see so few youngsters on the squad. So many 30 year olds...can't take this squad to Russia in a year plus. Gotta get some young, energetic legs in there.

13 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Recently from Johnson there seems to be a huge lack of effort, lack of caring. We should probably drop him until he can find it in him to care and put in the effort required.

Perfectly fine with Dempsey being pulled as well, he sucked for the most part. The only concern I have for Villafana is he looked to get really gassed later in the game, hopefull that wont be an issue on Sunday.

6 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Villafana was okay, IMO, caught too far upfield a few times that led to chances. Nagbe was MOTM had Pulisic not nailed a brace. Dude was everywhere.

I've been thinking for a while now that maybe Johnson could fill that #6 role, ANYBODY just to get Bradley the **** outta there. Fabian is giving almost zero to the attack.

Still a bit miffed to see so few youngsters on the squad. So many 30 year olds...can't take this squad to Russia in a year plus. Gotta get some young, energetic legs in there.

Im really looking forward to the Gold Cup and seeing a good chunk of youngsters/new blood take their chance.

• Like 2

^^The kid is world class, no question. And, it's why I'm so adamant about Arenas and US Soccer getting some of their young talent up playing alongside him.

Don't let Pulisic toil for a while with this group of older players. The guys near him in age need to play with him to get that rapport and cohesiveness going. 

I truly think that with the proper management, the US could be a danger in WC 2022, and a real player in 2026.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Long n Left said:

^^The kid is world class, no question......

Let's not go going overboard now. He's 18 and still just developing potential that has a LONG way to go to get to that level. 

Just be thankful he not only has all the tools to fulfil that potential but that he's American. 

Good luck tonight. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Bobby wood shocking whiff in front of goal leads to a great counter and goal.  From potentially 2-0 to 1-1 in the blink of an eye 

1 minute ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Heck of a break for the equaliser but a MASSIVE question mark over Guzen. To get beat his near post ..... Terrible 'keeping. 

Serious question. You can't STILL do better than him in nets?

Hail. 

Guzan is and always has been bad.  Howard is miles ahead still and a true leader on the field if nothing else.  I cringe every time I see guzan on the sheet.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Heck of a break for the equaliser but a MASSIVE question mark over Guzan. To get beat his near post ..... Terrible 'keeping. 

Serious question. You can't STILL do better than him in nets?

Hail. 

Not gonna give Guzan a pass, he is a very mediocre keeper, but Beasley does his job and nobody steps up to try and tackle or block the shot. What you get when your top CB is a midfielder.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Not gonna give Guzan a pass, he is a very mediocre keeper, but Beasley does his job and nobody steps up to try and tackle or block the shot. What you get when your top CB is a midfielder.

Cameron is I think our best defender still.  Unfortunately brooks just can't get it together for usmnt.  He's got the most talent by far but with Geoff you know what you're going to get and it's usually solid.  

Pulisic and yedlin have been underwhelming so far this game.  Not terribly bad, but not up to expectations.  I think we've played about as well as anyone could have expected.  Mexico is the better squad, and to get a worldie there was great.  Outside of that though, haven't looked to be much a threat. Probably see Dempsey on around 80th minute to try and go for it if it's still knotted up.  

• Like 1