Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

Solid game for US development.  Arena is putting players out there to see what they can do, hoping to find 4-5 surprises. It's refreshing.  That said, man does the back line suck and man do the middies suck.  There is almost no depth in US Soccer.  Our 2nd team would get smoked by a mid level MLS team. Still I like what Arenas is doing and the kids will only get better with more minutes.

Well, on the plus side, at least we know that 99% of this squad has no business on the national team so we can stop calling them up.

****ing Martinique. Amazing. We are definitely not making it to the final with this squad.

Edited by MisterPinstripe
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Well, on the plus side, at least we know that 99% of this squad has no business on the national team so we can stop calling them up.

****ing Martinique. Amazing. We are definitely not making it to the final with this squad.

I'm going to show my ignorance here, and say I had no idea Martinique was even a place.  I had to look it up.  The USA is literally like, 10,000x the size of Martinique and yet here we are with our "futures" squad squeaking out a win.  

Just thinking back over the game, I continue to be amazed at how slow Zardes' step-overs are.  Not sure why its not stolen off him more when he is in the middle of a step-over. Though perhaps they know they can just wait a minute and he will give it away.

Just now, SkinssRvA said:

I'm going to show my ignorance here, and say I had no idea Martinique was even a place.  I had to look it up.  The USA is literally like, 10,000x the size of Martinique and yet here we are with our "futures" squad squeaking out a win.  

Well, to be fair, our futures squad are guys like Weston McKinnie, Haji Wright, Josh Sargent, EPB, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Emerson Hyndman, etc. So there is more hope for the future than these guys. Its just amazing how pathetic they played. I bet our U-20 WC squad would have played better against Martinique than these guys. 

No pride in this group, they were getting taken to task by a bunch of semi-pros from Martinique. Guzan was awful, Acosta was rather poor, Hedges shouldnt be near the NT. Omar and him were so slow and getting beat by these guys. Agudelo played okay but couldnt think quick enough to get a good shot off.

• Like 1

I dont take much from last night.

That was a hodgepodge of players set up for no apparent reason or plan.

The only guys on the pitch last night that will see serious time for the US in WCQ and real games are Arriola, Acosta and Morris.  The rest will forever be on this D side or less.

Interesting fact- The name Gyasi is a Ghanian word meaning "feet of stone".

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I dont take much from last night.

That was a hodgepodge of players set up for no apparent reason or plan.

The only guys on the pitch last night that will see serious time for the US in WCQ and real games are Arriola, Acosta and Morris.  The rest will forever be on this D side or less.

Interesting fact- The name Gyasi is a Ghanian word meaning "feet of stone".

I know this Gold Cup doesnt mean a whole lot, but I would like to feel like we could have a chance to win it. Its still a tournament so I want to win it and against this competition even with a D side we should be playing better. Ill be pretty upset if most of these guys sniff the NT after this tournament.

6 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I know this Gold Cup doesnt mean a whole lot, but I would like to feel like we could have a chance to win it. Its still a tournament so I want to win it and against this competition even with a D side we should be playing better. Ill be pretty upset if most of these guys sniff the NT after this tournament.

Arena can make 6 changes after the next game if he wants to bring in some better talent.  Also, alot of the guys on the bench last night are far better than those who played.  Miazga, Besler, Rowe, Zusi.  All are better than some of the dreck we saw last night.  But you have to give some of those guys chances to see what they can do.  Or in most cases last night, NOT do.

1 hour ago, Kilmer17 said:

Arena can make 6 changes after the next game if he wants to bring in some better talent.  Also, alot of the guys on the bench last night are far better than those who played.  Miazga, Besler, Rowe, Zusi.  All are better than some of the dreck we saw last night.  But you have to give some of those guys chances to see what they can do.  Or in most cases last night, NOT do.

Yep.  If you do not play the bottom of the roster against Martinique, when will you play them.  Perfect opportunity in a real competition to get a look at some guys.  

It's evident that Klinsmann knew talent if nothing else, and was right about certain guys, particularly Gonzales and probably Corona.  No business on the 1st squad.

If Arena wants to win this, Bradley and Pulisic will be in the 6.  

• Like 1

Just so everyone is aware, this tournament DOES have significance.  The winner of this one will meet the winner of the 2019 Gold cup for a playoff to represent Concacaf in the 2021 Confederations Cup.  If the same team wins both, they qualify automatically.

• Like 1

Jesse Gonzales called up as well.

Guzan, Johnson, Bedoya, Roldan, Rowe and Dwyer are out.

Surprised about Rowe and Dwyer.  I would have rather seen those two stay and McCarty and Aguedelo leave.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

If we get knocked out, I hope it's Gonzalez that's getting destroyed. Ffs, his first national team choice was Mexico.

He is 1/2 Mexican.  The fact that he is a Terp means I can't hate him too much, no matter how poor he plays on the back line.  Klinsmann was right about him. Klinsmann was a horrible coach from a tactician standpoint, but he knows players. 

13 minutes ago, daveakl said:

Well....1 goal went through his legs and the other almost through his hands. 

The brutiful game... 62 minutes that cross from El Sal was a simple 2 touch move that few USMNT players can do... ugly defense...

Which announcer sounds like Suzy Kolber?