Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

28 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Great players often don't make great coaches.

He would be a prime example. 

Coaching and playing are a Worlds apart. 

Hail. 

This 1000000x. My understanding of tactics is what allowed me to be a coach with good results and very prepared teams. Not my striker instincts. Though it did come in handy when I worked with attackers.  Just because you understand how to play the game doesn't mean you know how to find the best players for a system you build and can get them to buy into your vision. 

Jurgen couldn't control his ego let alone his players.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Like 2

Also US coaches always instilled a American grit and never quit mentality. He spat on it by saying our soccer was bad, our leagues are bad, etc. He spat on everything the program was built on. The program no longer had a identity. We chased players from the MLS for fear of never playing for the US team rather than attempt to raise the leagues quality.  When did you ever see US teams give up? We've gotten creamed sure but we never quit.  Hell Bradley got fired for losing a gold cup final after 2-0 lead that was erased by a injury at a critical position. Our previous coaches would be all over our player's asses for laying down. All we heard was we weren't prepared and fans don't understand the game.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Great players often don't make great coaches.

He would be a prime example. 

Coaching and playing are a Worlds apart. 

Hail. 

I do agree with you in general but Klinsman helped rejuvenate the German side and they nearly won the cup, he gets credit for getting that German side back on track.

40 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

I do agree with you in general but Klinsman helped rejuvenate the German side and they nearly won the cup, he gets credit for getting that German side back on track.

He was the figure head and coach in name only.

2006 was masterminded almsot solen by Low. You can credit him for motivating. Which he deserves to take his share of.  But most everything else coaching wise was his assistant's work.

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, daveakl said:

@Elessar78

A few of us in Raleigh looked into buying the railhawks two years ago. I can go into great detail why we didn't and why the MLS sucks.

Please do dave. 

To someone with only a passing interest at best in the MLS (go DCU! friends), it's always interesting to hear different perspectives and increase my knowledge of the game Stateside. 

Hail. 

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, daveakl said:

You didn't miss....he did. Lol

My wife looked up at his pk and asked if he meant to hit it like Mia. (I think she was referring to our 5yo daughter Mia)

Yeah, his shot lacked a lot to be desired, no power. Frei just did a simple collapse dive on it. 

The crossbar was the brutal one though.