Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should a college degree be a requirement for President?

The 12th Commandment

There is a way to test a dog's intelligence by placing a towel over their head and time how long it takes to get the towel off. Dogs that take the towel off immediately are consider highly intelligent. Those whom just keep the towel on, well......

I would consider this.

2387529259_ed76bbb718_z.jpg?zz=1

Whatevs.

I wouldn't vote for Scott Walker if Oxford gave him all the degrees they had and then couldn't give any more because Scott Walker had them all.

And of course he still wouldn't be a Cambridge man.

So is a online or foreign degree acceptable?

Why not just certain schools?

I'd be fine with a competency test   B)

But that would suppress the vote. The goal I guess would be to suppress who can run?

1 is racist. The other is being proposed by people that don't like Scott walker...so not racist.

Global dominance and the highest standard of living in human history?

And of course, the continued freedom to whine like a little girl.

We've had that for a lot longer period than I am talking.  My post was more directed at what I consider to be the disgusting state of the American political system in general.

We've had that for a lot longer period than I am talking.  My post was more directed at what I consider to be the disgusting state of the American political system in general.

To be fair, that's gone on even longer than has our global status.  Can you imagine what it must have been like in the 1850's?  Politics is an ugly business and always has been.  The only thing new is how we're confronted with it ad nauseum and that's more on the media (and by association society) than it is the politicians.  

Whatevs.

I wouldn't vote for Scott Walker if Oxford gave him all the degrees they had and then couldn't give any more because Scott Walker had them all.

Why wouldn't you. He is a highly successful Governor that knows how to successfully push legislation through a political process.  He's not my first (or 2d and if Kasich enters, no longer my 3rd choice) but he is an effective politician and leader.

I'll reiterate, it's not perfect but it's a tool we use everyday and all across the country for the purpose I'm proposing.  

It depends. Most firms will look at the academic rigor of the institution providing the degree, (and of course GPA and relevance of the major). 

No.   We are entitled to choose whatever leaders we think best to lead.  If Scott Walker has done good work as a governor and shows his mettle on the campaign trail, then he would be just as electable as anyone else.

*Predicto enters snark mode for a minute*

Of course, this thread also gives everyone the opportunity to say cliches like "education isn't the same as intelligence....   my grandpappy never finished 8th grade and he was the smartest man I ever knew yadda yadda yadda."  It is part of the American DNA to say things like that.  We worship at the shrine of the common man, the salt of the earth (cue the Aaron Copeland soundtrack)

The fact is, education isn't the same as intelligence, but there is a pretty strong statistical correlation between them as a general rule, and it is at least UNLIKELY that the guy bagging groceries at Safeway is going to be as equipped to make national policy decisions as a college graduate who has served in Congress.  It doesn't mean that the second guy is a better PERSON, but he almost assuredly is likely to be a better President.

No.

I am confident that I could be president and I never finished my college education. So there.

I laughed.   You would be a terrible President.

As bad as I would.  

Of course, this thread also gives everyone the opportunity to say cliches like "education isn't the same as intelligence....   my grandpappy never finished 8th grade and he was the smartest man I ever knew yadda yadda yadda."  It is part of the American DNA to say things like that.  We worship at the shrine of the common man, the salt of the earth (cue the Aaron Copeland soundtrack)

I'd say smart differs from intelligence,though can coexist and certainly agree most intelligent people get degrees.

That whole salt of the earth/common man thing started when they outlawed beating the help I bet.

Requirement? No. But it's probably a good idea to have one whether your the POTUS or not.

I don't think a good plumber needs a college degree, and it probably is a lousy idea for him or her to pay 4 years of tuition getting one.  

President of the United States?   Probably a good idea.  

I don't think a good plumber needs a college degree, and it probably is a lousy idea for him or her to pay 4 years of tuition getting one.  

President of the United States?   Probably a good idea.  

Good friend of mine from high school is a plumber. Dude makes really good money but can't manage it one bit. Not sure if college would help that. But maybe a few junior college classes could help him out...

Other than the unknown numbers and qualifications of the demographics being of interest to me, and barring any other pertinent info, the big difference between all the dumbasses with accredited college degrees and all the dumbasses without such degrees would be that one group of dumbasses has accredited college degrees. :D

If we have to distribute positive recognition among the dumbass population, I'll give the dumbasses with such degrees their just due (depending on what degree from where to an extent), but if the non-degree dumbasses have other redeeming skills/qualifications, that should equally count in their favor.   :P

I do note it usually seems it's the ones without degrees (or without advanced degrees) that are the first to raise this "schooling" bromide (not at all thinking of the OP here, just in general). People with degrees will generally agree with it, too, as well they should. But I'd submit that you rarely see the people with degrees bring up "dumbasses who don't have degrees" as a thing.

"Book lernin'." Yeah. Watch out!  :lol:

I do note it usually seems it's the ones without degrees (or without advanced degrees) that are the first to raise this "schooling" bromide (not at all thinking of the OP here, just in general). People with degrees will generally agree with it, too, as well they should. But I'd submit that you rarely see the people with degrees bring up "dumbasses who don't have degrees" as a thing.

"Book lernin'." Yeah. Watch out!  :lol:

I think you mean the bromo-seltzer tower here. Though I'm unsure of how you thought it was relevant, kudos for working it into the conversation.   ;)

It's used there acceptably in secondary and tertiary application---which were the more common usages in previous generations. A bromide was (is) generally regarded in ordinary conversation as an old cliche that doesn't usually "hold water" (if you know what that means :P)

bromide is a common saying or proverb that is obvious and not that helpful; a trite and unoriginal idea or remark

Speaking as a guy who teaches Plato to plumbers, I think a few liberal arts classes are good for everybody, and good for democracy.

Of course I'm biased, but we need more people in this country who can think, both for their own benefit and for the common good.

Ok, say a college degree was a requirement...

Is a degree in Spanish, or post modern art, or English literature sufficient? Compared to a poli sci or constitutional law degree.

Because I'd bet there is a very good chance I know a lot more about government and the political system with my high school diploma than some art major out of UC Berkeley.

Speaking as a guy who teaches Plato to plumbers, I think a few liberal arts classes are good for everybody, and good for democracy.

Of course I'm biased, but we need more people in this country who can think, both for their own benefit and for the common good.

I actually agree.   I just think avoiding unnecessary debt is extremely important too.  4 years of college is a very expensive endeavor, both in tuition and in lost income.   So I'm nut sure that a 4 year college degree is a good idea for everyone.  

Archived