Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

'Cops who need to be fired' - weren't you rambling on about how cops get away and aren't held accountable? Your articles state firings and found guilty. You should be posting all of those that got away with it like you have thrown out consistently. At least those have substance. These just show that bad cops are being held accountable.

Click to read the rest http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/03/1408406/-Episcopal-Priest-on-road-trip-with-interracial-family-shares-harrowing-story-of-police-harassment   Episcopal priest on road trip with interracial family shares harrowing story of police harassment

The Rev. Peter Schell is an Episcopal priest and the lead pastor of Calvary Episcopal Churchin Washington, D.C. On a road trip from Washington to Florida, the Rev. Schell, a young white man married to a black woman, was traveling with their interracial family and had his first experience of what truly appears to be racist police harassment. In the car was Schell, his African-American wife, their 2-year0old son, and his wife's brother. He shared his story on Facebook and gave us permission to repost it here.

You may immediately notice that he was also pulled over for something similar to what Sandra Bland was pulled over for—a failure to use a turn signal when getting out of the way of the police car.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

First or last, Brave, your posted article reads like a classic profile case where they were looking for drugs or specifically the transportation of.  Probably borderline racial profiling because the people that do haul drugs up and down I95 rent cars and look like these people.  You can call it a fine line, but they were not stopped because they simply were black as the author implies.  The cops were looking for drugs.

And Sisko, wow, as Major says, you have some issues to deal with.  Not going to touch your post for fear of causing more harm to your stability.

Sisko seems focused and coherent...seems that some of you would shoot him for making a debate.

Those people have issues more than he does... it seems.

Cops on this thread...it's not typically black folks that haul the big loads of drugs.

Oh I'll never deny having issues. But the desire to shoot sisko ain't one of them.

Sorry, I've always felt that way about anyone who posts exclusively in one kind of thread. The strictly political guys are the worst.

• Like 1

Oh I'll never deny having issues. But the desire to shoot sisko ain't one of them.

Sorry, I've always felt that way about anyone who posts exclusively in one kind of thread. The strictly political guys are the worst.

One poster usually only shows up in the religion threads.

If we're talking volume of cases:

http://www.businessinsider.com/baltimore-paid-5-million-in-4-years-for-police-brutality-lawsuits-2015-4

More than 100 rulings for Plaintiffs in alleged police brutality cases since 2011 in Baltimore.  The eventual DOJ report will be very interesting.

Then there's the DOJ report on Ferguson, that indicts the police department (and municipal court system) as a whole: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/opa/press-releases/attachments/2015/03/04/ferguson_police_department_report.pdf

This paragraph from the summary is a powerful one, it demonstrates the huge problems that arise from police abuse of constitutional rights, even when there's no physical abuse.

Even relatively routine misconduct by Ferguson police officers can have significant consequences for the people whose rights are violated. For example, in the summer of 2012, a 32-year-old African-American man sat in his car cooling off after playing basketball in a Ferguson public park. An officer pulled up behind the man’s car, blocking him in, and demanded the man’s Social Security number and identification. Without any cause, the officer accused the man of being a pedophile, referring to the presence of children in the park, and ordered the man out of his car for a pat-down, although the officer had no reason to believe the man was armed. The officer also asked to search the man’s car. The man objected, citing his constitutional rights. In response, the officer arrested the man, reportedly at gunpoint, charging him with eight violations of Ferguson’s municipal code. One charge, Making a False Declaration, was for initially providing the short form of his first name (e.g., “Mike” instead of “Michael”), and an address which, although legitimate, was different from the one on his driver’s license. Another charge was for not wearing a seat belt, even though he was seated in a parked car. The officer also charged the man both with having an expired operator’s license, and with having no operator’s license in his possession. The man told us that, because of these charges, he lost his job as a contractor with the federal government that he had held for years.

Cases like this are pretty close to what is seen fairly often in the PD office.  It's scary and sad, and creates a permanent underclass.  If you're wondering why in some African American communities there are major problems, it might have something to do with the ceiling imposed upon them by unfair (and often illegal) policing.  It's hard to build a better community when you've lost your job stemming from an arrest tied to an officer's misconduct.  The man in that case probably can never get a job like the one he had ever again.  His ability to be successful in life has now been capped.  It's a scary thought, that an officer who violates your rights can consign you literally decades of toiling for low wages with no chance of doing better.

The "Cop Block" page on FB alone is terrifying.  And of course there's also Homan Square in Chicago.

One thing that really bugs me is we never know how many times an officer violates someone's rights and then doesn't arrest them.  Like, if an officer searches your car illegally, but doesn't find anything, they might just go on their way and never report it to anyone.  And if you were the victim of an illegal search that didn't result in an arrest/charges, are you at all likely to pursue that officer civilly for a violation of your rights?  Probably not; I mean, jeez, just asking for an Officer's badge number these days is basically asking to be arrested.  How often do these kinds of searches happen?  We have no real data on that.  I know that police are supposed to file reports on stuff like that, but there are clearly major reporting issues in numerous jurisdictions nationwide.

He doesn't even really post here anymore except in these threads.

I stand by my statement.

Perhaps this is a really important issue for him.

I know a lot of people who feel the same way.

What Brave said. I used to have a lot more time on my hands. Several things in the past few years have changed that. I changed careers, I had to become the guardian for my 104 year old Aunt because Florida pretty much allows the elderly there to be exploited and abused in all but the most egregious cases and a couple of years ago, one of my wife's good friends died and as the godparents for her bipolar daughter we had to step up. So yes, my volume of posts are down and when I do, it's generally about something I care about. It's not the only thing I care about or will post about but police brutality certainly qualifies. 

One of those things that I haven't gotten around to is the story of the elder exploitation of my 104 year old Aunt and her sisters but I'm going to try to get that done before my vacation ends and I go back to work. I think it's another important issue and perhaps someone else in FL or elsewhere with elderly relatives may benefit from it.

Aside from that, I also recognized a long time ago that sitting on my ass posting on ES doesn't do all that much. It raises a little awareness, but doesn't have as much real value as some of the other issues I began to devote some time to a while back.

It's nice that you missed me though Major.  :) 

'Cops who need to be fired' - weren't you rambling on about how cops get away and aren't held accountable? Your articles state firings and found guilty. You should be posting all of those that got away with it like you have thrown out consistently. At least those have substance. These just show that bad cops are being held accountable.

Selection bias. These are only the cases we know about. The cops know the law, the enforcement/investigation protocols so I have no doubt many of them get away with things that we never hear of. However even when they are dumb enough to get caught, they often get sweetheart plea deals. As I asked above, do you honestly think you or I as civilians would have received the plea deals and other special treatment these criminal cops got? The answer is, no. Criminal cops are convicted and jailed at a much lower rate than the general public. Take home point? If you wanna be a criminal, the best way to get away with it is to go to the police academy.

However these are clear cases of criminal conduct. Where the police operate with near impunity is in brutalizing and killing people. The data have already been posted in this thread about how rarely anything happens to them for brutalizing or even murdering people in the course of duty. At the very least, nowadays if you have incontrovertible video evidence, there's at least a slight chance something gets done about it.

Finally, much of the whole point of this thread has to do with exploding the myth that it's only a bad apple here and there. How many of these stories do we have to see before that myth dies and the realization dawns that the police need more robust oversight into not only brutality cases, but criminal conduct and the routine violating of people's rights. Constitution? What Constitution? Why on earth would someone actually care about something silly like that? ...and I'm the guy with issues. Yeah, right.  :rolleyes:

So back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Kentucky Deputy Sued for Placing Crying, Disabled 8-Year-old Boy in Handcuffs to Teach Him a Lesson

Kentucky-Kid.jpg

Georgia Deputy Fired and Arrested for Kicking Handcuffed Man in the Chest

An Georgia sheriff’s deputy from Bibb County was fired and arrested after an assault on a handcuffed man which was caught on video.

Nathaniel Woodard, 28, is seen in the August 2014 recording kicking Devasco Holly, 38, in the chest while he is handcuffed on the ground.

“If you get up one more time, I’m going to kick you in the ****ing chest.” the Georgia deputy is heard threatening Holly in the video.

Holly is seen attempting to get up on his knees when the deputy kicks him square in the chest, knocking him to the ground.

Alabama case fills out the police brutality bingo card

This story out of Huntsville, Ala., reads like a checklist of police brutality cases.

Excessive force? Check.

Huntsville police officer Brett Russell is charged with use of excessive force and obstruction of justice, stemming from an arrest made by Russell in 2011. Russell is charged after a 2011 altercation with Gary Wayne Hopkins, who was being placed under arrest after a domestic violence call.

Coverup by fellow officers? Check.

Joshua Bates testified Tuesday afternoon. He was training a cadet the night Hopkins was arrested. He had been called to the scene to assist in putting Hopkins in leg shackles.

Bates told the court that if he had known Russell talked about the assault, he would not have gone to assist. He broke down on the stand and admitted to the court that he lied twice to Internal Affairs, lied to an FBI agent, and then lied to a federal grand jury.

He said he lied about seeing Russell strike Hopkins and that he also lied about Hopkins’ movement, which he now says were really from Russell’s blows...

Edited by The Sisko

I understand there are bad ones out there and ones who abuse power. The thing that got me was trying to turn a good deed thread for those who want to know and show that all aren't bad and coming in and basically bashing everything in there. You may have something against all, that's your right but to try and troll a thread that specifically states the purpose is a bit over the top. That's my whole point in this and I've stated that not all are good but to act like every single one is, is pretty offensive considering I know many that arent.

I'll leave it at that and you can disagree, fine but leave it for threads that are meant for such.

And as major said, appreciate your doings and having to step up in tough situations.

I for one enjoy this thread much more now that it has updates with all of the bull**** cops do on a literally daily basis that should not be tolerated and would not be, but for the fact that the person doing it has a badge and a gun (and probably an inferiority complex).  Kudos to all involved.  :clap

Just to lighten the mood, this is an old, but a goody: 

http://www.theonion.com/article/insecure-frustrated-bully-with-something-to-prove--33427

Insecure, Frustrated Bully With Something To Prove Considering Career In Law Enforcement

RALEIGH, NC—Calling it his lifelong dream, local man Brendan Lockhart, an insecure and perpetually frustrated bully who believes he has something to prove to the world, told reporters Thursday that he is seriously considering a career in law enforcement.

Lockhart, a recent high-school graduate who sources confirmed is plagued by resentment, self-doubt, unexpected fits of rage, and has always had a penchant for tormenting those who are smaller and weaker than him, explained that he feels he is well suited to serve as a police officer.

“I’ve always wanted to be a cop,” said Lockhart, whose paranoia and inferiority complex constantly haunt him, leading him to lash out at others in order to convince them he is in control. “I know it’s a tough line of work, but I think I’ve got what it takes to earn my shield and get out there and keep the peace.”

“This is the job I was born to do,” continued the man whose main goal in life is to prove to others that he is strong, confident, and not afraid.

Friends and family confirmed that Lockhart, an unpredictable, petty individual who frequently loses his temper when he feels he is being threatened or disrespected, has in recent months been inquiring into joining the ranks of the Raleigh Police Department. In this role, the man with a massive chip on his shoulder and no visible sense of empathy would be tasked with peacefully resolving disputes and evenhandedly administering justice to members of the community over whom he would have official power.

Just be happy it's not teachers getting caught on camera EVERY DAY beating the **** out of the kids they are supposed to be watching, and that i therefore don't have to hate you. :)

Well, lawyers take advantage of people every day. I hate you you ****ing scumbag. Is it hard to post on ES while chasing ambulances? :silly:

Edited by Major Harris

I'm trying to find this video of one cop telling another cop off for trying to illegally detain and accost some people.  If I can find it, I'll post it in both threads; this one for the bad officer trying to violate rights, and the other one for the good officer trying to ensure that people's rights are protected.

Edit: Found it, but I dunno how to embed, so linky

https://video-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpt1/v/t43.1792-2/11276111_635982886538539_1888675187_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjE1MDAsInJsYSI6MTAyNH0%3D&rl=1500&vabr=205&oh=ff6b7b82abc23702a487a65db66d50bb&oe=55C19731

Edited by DogofWar1

I wonder if anyone noticed that tonight is national night out.  I am guessing, many do not or even know what the heck I am talking about.

Now, to some points of the Sisko:

"These are only the cases we know about. The cops know the law, the enforcement/investigation protocols so I have no doubt many of them get away with things that we never hear of.."

To correct you, if more cops actually understood things like search and seizure, stop and frisk, consent and stuff like that they would actually be better cops.  Part of the problem is that they do not understand exactly what the law does and does not allow or they do not care to know.  As with any field, knowledge is power.

As to your examples, I see cops who did not perform their jobs correctly and were fired and or charged with a crime.  They will never work in law enforcement again.  To your implication that we only see a small amount of the brutality, constitutional violations and overall disregard for human rights by cops seems a little grandstanding at least, exaggeration at best.

Have you ever been the victim of a violent crime?  During said crime did you feel helpless?  Your thoughts are clear on what you think of cops, but do you ever venture into truly bad places, say at night, and very comfortable?

I don't disagree that there needs to be reform, education and better training of cops around the country.  My understanding they are starting to use the words "sanctity of life" and beginning to incorporate that into their thought process.  Unfortunately, it will take a long time to incorporate that into the street level cop.  Some will never grasp what it means, which is sad in of itself.

Lastly, I will not end on my usual "you don't have to call 911 for help", but to say you don't always have to call the police to solve a problem that the police should not be involved in.  Sometimes better parenting, better schooling, better caring and being a better person solves the problem.  Add in better mental health facilities, better church run programs, help for the homeless, etc.  But, people keep calling the cops to solve their problems, expecting them to always have the answer.  And, don't get me started on the stupid people.

• Like 1

As to your examples, I see cops who did not perform their jobs correctly and were fired and or charged with a crime.  They will never work in law enforcement again.  

I liked your post, and agree with everything but the part I quoted above. I keep seeing videos of officers committing crimes against citizens only the find out that officer had been fired from a different police department for racism or something similar. The officer who unjustly arrested Sandra Bland is one of them. 

• Like 1

I liked your post, and agree with everything but the part I quoted above. I keep seeing videos of officers committing crimes against citizens only the find out that officer had been fired from a different police department for racism or something similar. The officer who unjustly arrested Sandra Bland is one of them. 

Most of the time if a police officer commits a crime that would land someone else in prison, they at worst get fired and have to look for another job. And like you said, them getting fired doesnt mean they cant get another job in law enforcement. Look up some of these guys who were fired after abusing someone, breaking the law, etc, and you will find that a lot of them got another job. Seems to usually be in a smaller town, but they are still officers.

Why is it that if a police officer breaks the law they are not getting treated the same way as a regular citizen breaking that same law? Why are they above the law? If they cant obey the law how can we trust them to enforce it correctly?

• Like 3