Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

On 8/22/2019 at 10:22 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

OK, we're about to go down a super nerdy rabbit hole and I'm hesitant to display how much I know and care about this, but you all already know what a freaking nerd I am

Ok awesome post thanks for sending that info. That was pretty cool to read but this is where I can’t follow you further lol.

Again, I’m speaking strictly from a stand-alone understanding of SM, not crossovers and Avengers. I never thought he’d be on par with people like Thor or Hulk strength and power but he should be able to handle his own in the civil war fight among other avengers (no Thor and hulk either btw) and not be told to “sit out, he’s done” and he’s ok with it because he’s been so beat up. 

He just seems kinda like a joke in the McU and unnecessarily weak compared to others. He’s an afterthought which isn’t how you treat an A tier character. And his iron man suit is way overpowered too which further weakens him, if that makes sense. Like could he have fought in civil war at all had he not had the stark suit? Doesn’t seem like it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

He just seems kinda like a joke in the McU and unnecessarily weak compared to others. He’s an afterthought which isn’t how you treat an A tier character. And his iron man suit is way overpowered too which further weakens him, if that makes sense. Like could he have fought in civil war at all had he not had the stark suit? Doesn’t seem like it. 

He's kind of the comic relief in the comic books as well.  That's probably the biggest reason he's such a beloved character.  He's a classic Stan Lee creation in that he was such a vehicle for Stan's wit.  That's his defining character trait really.  Much more so than power or resilience.  The sense I always got from the big team ups and cross over arcs Marvel ran was that they used Spider-Man as the "fly on the wall" everyman perspective.  He was a discoverer of knowledge who is really supposed to be our own perspective as the readers.  I think the MCU Spider-Man remains true to this.

Fully grown Peter Parker can hold his own in a hairy fight, but TBH, what he does best is mostly kind of evasive and winning with strategies rather than power.  Keep in mind this is the 16 year old version of him too.  Wanda is similarly depowered because of her youth and inexperience, when truth be told she eventually becomes perhaps the most central and powerful Avenger in the comics.  This youthful version of Spider-Man is great IMO.  He's relatable and sweet and can conjure up a sense of adventure and wonder that a lot of other heroes can't.

Every "star" character in the MCU needs a distinct vision and role, and I think Spider-Man has a really good and creative one.  And I don't think his Stark technology diminishes that because it is so heavily tailored to fit him and fits coherently into his lore and narrative.  And the biggest thing is that he fits so well within the MCU.  He's a scene stealer who is a joy to watch and was ready for a bigger role in the MCU until this dumbass contract dispute happened.  You can't say enough in praise for Feige for being able to pull that off with him and so many other characters and stories.  It's never been done well before.

• Thanks 1

Another thing is Spider-Man is supposed to be kind of innocent and pure.  He is one of the only characters who never really has dark agendas or tons of power that can corrupt him.  Never is really a political animal, and he consistently does a lot of small time hero-ing so he stays down to Earth.  He's not one of the elites of the superhero world, or one of the more corporate/political heroes.  I think MCU Peter captures the spirit of this character trait and that his mentorship with Stark is a good and logical compromise for bringing him into the world of the Avengers for the ensemble films.  He needs a connection somehow, but not be too connected because he is fundamentally an outsider.  Can you think of a better way to do it than they did Momma?  I honestly can't.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Kevin Feige is going to turn beige when he watches the Marvel box office plummet after Avengers/Captain America. Those

were the only two Marvel franchises people cared about. 

LOL. The two new properties of Black Panther and Captain Marvel seemed to do pretty well, crushing $1 Billion each.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Kevin Feige is going to turn beige when he watches the Marvel box office plummet after Avengers/Captain America. Those

were the only two Marvel franchises people cared about. 

Whether you liked the movies or not, Black Panther and Captain Marvel each did over $1B.  GotG has done really well and Thor Ragnarok turned in big box office numbers and has turned that character's future around.  I think they'll be okay 

Seriously, lets look at Marvels stupid "Phase 4" and see if ANY of these movies seem remotely interesting:

Black Widow: no interest in seeing an aging Scarlett Johansssen in anything. Didn't she used to be pretty?

The Eternals: where the Game of Thrones failures go after the debacle of Season 8.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: yeah I'd like that and a box of Kung Pao Chicken to go, please.

Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: didn't care for the first Dr Strange movie, this one looks like it could even be duller.

Thor: Love and Thunder. Yeah Thor as a NASCAR racer. With Loki doing the play by play.

Black Panther 2: It will be wildly successful at the Box Office, though we all know the reason why.

Guardian of the Galaxy 3: I'm getting bored just typing this.

Dud city, folks. I won't even watch the PREVIEWS for these things. Though I'm sure stevemcqueen and momma will be there (in their spiderman pjs) for every one, front row center!

Edited by Mournblade
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Seriously, lets look at Marvels stupid "Phase 4" and see if ANY of these movies seem remotely interesting:

Black Widow: no interest in seeing an aging Scarlett Johansssen in anything. Didn't she used to be pretty?

You lost me right here.  Sin is right, you are too wrapped up in your own opinion on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Dud city, folks. I won't even watch the PREVIEWS for these things. Though I'm sure stevemcqueen and momma will be there (in their spiderman pjs) for every one, front row center!

_2yqMV.gif

55 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

giphy.gif

Lifes too short to worry about entertainment you clearly do not like or want to like

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Mournblade said:

The Eternals: where the Game of Thrones failures go after the debacle of Season 8.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: yeah I'd like that and a box of Kung Pao Chicken to go, please.

Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: didn't care for the first Dr Strange movie, this one looks like it could even be duller.

Thor: Love and Thunder. Yeah Thor as a NASCAR racer. With Loki doing the play by play.

Black Panther 2: It will be wildly successful at the Box Office, though we all know the reason why.

Guardian of the Galaxy 3: I'm getting bored just typing this.

MAGA?

• Like 1

Heh... "Nerves"

Dude goes into every thread  crying about how no one loves his Capitals... after they just won the Stanley Cup....

If there was a Cooperstown for sensitivity, you would be the statue out front, with a bronze plaque. :ols:

Please, plan your next "Offensive!" (before I feel too bad for you to reply)

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Ok, not even reading the rest of your post after this lunacy 

edit: oh ****. Got in here late and answered right away. Man there is blood all over the walls 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Haha 3

I know I'm late to the game, but I finally watched Endgame.

Short story; don't like large crowd reactions, totally ruins the experience for me. I can imagine all the "wooooing" and clapping at every character entrance to the point where you can't hear the dialogue. (I assume when Rogers wielded Mjolnir, everyone clapped so hard they missed Thor saying "I knew it" right after. Just pisses me of, quite frankly

But wow, what a movie. That was peak MCU right there. I'm worried they will never get to that point of anticipation/hype/interest ever again. 

1 hour ago, Rogue Jedi said:

I know I'm late to the game, but I finally watched Endgame.

Short story; don't like large crowd reactions, totally ruins the experience for me. I can imagine all the "wooooing" and clapping at every character entrance to the point where you can't hear the dialogue. (I assume when Rogers wielded Mjolnir, everyone clapped so hard they missed Thor saying "I knew it" right after. Just pisses me of, quite frankly

But wow, what a movie. That was peak MCU right there. I'm worried they will never get to that point of anticipation/hype/interest ever again. 

Complete opposite. Sharing those moments with a packed house that stands and collectively loses their **** when Cap wields mjolnir or when Thor shows up in wakanda in infinity war make it so much more memorable. I can see the movie as many times as I want. I can probably only have that experience once (definitely only once with clean Spider-Man PJs. They’re soiled afterwards for sure) with a movie. I’m going to take it. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1