Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think Rush Limbaugh's head would explode if both James Bond and Spiderman were black (to go with Captain America).

#imallforit 

I am half with you.

James Bond to me is more of a code name, so it doesn't really matter who plays the character as long as its a Brit. I think Elba would be an excellent Bond; however with that said. I love Daniel Craig and the kind of rough and tumble Bond character he brings. To me he is one of the best ever. I would not want to change him out just for change.

Captain America to me is a specific person. I am not at all on board with this changing characters gender (Thor), Sexuality, or Race. Make a new character with the qualities that you want. Just don't piggy back the new social inclusive version on the previous characters accomplishments. To me it cheapens the character. Give me a strong black character that I can enjoy reading about with his own history and accomplishments, not a cheap social inclusive version of the original.

• Like 4

Captain America to me is a specific person. I am not at all on board with this changing characters gender (Thor), Sexuality, or Race. Make a new character with the qualities that you want. Just don't piggy back the new social inclusive version on the previous characters accomplishments. To me it cheapens the character. Give me a strong black character that I can enjoy reading about with his own history and accomplishments, not a cheap social inclusive version of the original.

I agree completely with this. Marvel is always going over the top with social issues. Falcon did not need to be the new Cap, and it's a completely worthless gesture because everyone knows two years from now they'll be handing it right by to Steve Rogers somehow. I would much rather they invested in a character like Luke Cage, then temporary moves for a minor character. Cage is powerful enough, and deep enough to carry his own book, and I'm looking forward to the Netflix miniseries for him. 

If they kill off Steve Rodgers in the MCU then I want to see Bucky "Winter Solider" take the reins of Captain America. I am enjoying the current Captain American comic with an old ass Steve Rodgers and Falcon as Captain America. I just don't know if I could see it in the movies, plus I don't think the actor playing Falcon could pull it off.

IF they kill off Steve Rogers, i don't mind what they do with the character in terms of color or sex. Cap is supposed to be the living embodiment of all that is good about America, and that doesn't really have any restrictions.

But Rogers would have to be either dead or totally OUT of his role as Cap..  head of SHIELD or something.

And the only problem with that is NO one is as good a soldier as Rogers, and if he was totally out as Cap, no matter what he bumped up to; the effectiveness of Captain America will be diminished.

Changing Heimdall's race was silly to me,, they're a pantheon of norse gods.. blonde hair and blue eyes and all. i love Idris Elba, but the character is what it is. Elba would be so much better off in other Marvel roles, especilly in which he could take more of a star-turn.

(Although i don't see him as T'Challa. I could see Elba in roles in which he isn't wearing tights or a costume. Brother Voodoo might be cool, if ever. Cloak, if he must play a hero.  He can pull off the mystery Cloak would need..  and i think he'd make a great villain, too. No shortage of who he could play.)

Nick Fury i likeva LOT better. For one, Jackson is terrific and the fact is the old Nick Fury what wid his lousy grammatical-like way a' speakin' wit his cornball New Yawk accent sounded like too much of an idiot to be the head of the biggest spy agency on the planet. He was a WW2 Sgt..  a cliché,,a grunt, cigar chomping, two-fisted and foul mouthed.

NOT the top spy, head of all intelligence. I like the character much better in his new incarnations, the character is closer to what you'd expect such a character to be. His racial change doesn't matter at all to me. The change in the character as a whole makes him better.

I do love that they wrote the new Fury character in Ultimates directly with Jackson in mind,, happy little accident that it all worked out. In fact when i first read Ultimates, i think my surprise at his race change lasted maybe 2 panels.. and then it became quite apparent that this was a better character by far. I immediately took to it.

Course, with that in mind,,, the Hulk in Ultimates is the best.. my favorite comic character of all time.. and i do want to see some of his murderous cannibalistic binge drinking sides come out.

As he said in Ultimate Human...

Hulk is here. VERY bad.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

IF they kill off Steve Rogers, i don't mind what they do with the character in terms of color or sex. Cap is supposed to be the living embodiment of all that is good about America, and that doesn't really have any restrictions.

But Rogers would have to be either dead or totally OUT of his role as Cap..  head of SHIELD or something.

And the only problem with that is NO one is as good a soldier as Rogers, and if he was totally out as Cap, no matter what he bumped up to; the effectiveness of Captain America will be diminished.

The Winter Soldier says "Hi".

The Winter Soldier says "Hi".

Pfah.

Even with his Russian cybernetics, he is still not a match for Rogers.

He may be a great fighter, and he may have some nice RUSSIAN enhancements, but the fact is he's nowhere near as inspiring a character as Rogers is. Nowhere near the leader Rogers is.

As Frank Miller put it in an issue of Daredevil in which the Avengers showed up..  he's the man that can command a God.

~Bang

Pfah.

Even with his Russian cybernetics, he is still not a match for Rogers.

He may be a great fighter, and he may have some nice RUSSIAN enhancements, but the fact is he's nowhere near as inspiring a character as Rogers is. Nowhere near the leader Rogers is.

As Frank Miller put it in an issue of Daredevil in which the Avengers showed up..  he's the man that can command a God.

~Bang

Well if the rumors are true, you better get accustomed to seeing him (The Winter Soldier).  :)

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Oh no doubt,, in reading the comics he does become Cap for a while, but gives it up.

Part of the fun with comics is they can literally o almost anything to the characters and it's going to be interesting.

~Bang

Gives it up as in gets his ass kicked and nearly killed by Red Skull's daughter.  I agree he wasn't nearly the leader that Rogers was. When the Dark Avengers were running things under Norman Osborn, Bucky's Avengers team were pretty much fighting back despite his lack of leadership and not because of it. 

damn I must be missing out on a lot of stuff.

Ok to get back in the swing of thing, which comic series do I need to read to get current on the who what?

Honestly, i just pick up trade paperbacks anymore. On Ebay you can get a lot for cheap.

Trying to keep up with all the titles is an expensive pain in the butt.

the Ed Brubaker Captain America run is terrific, and will catch you up on most of this stuff we're blathering about.

I recently bought and am reading the latest gigantic Thanos Kills Everybody star spanning epic... 

~J

Edited by Bang

Late 2013 I actually stopped buying even TPBs when I subscribed to the Marvel Universe Unlimited app. You don't get to "own" anything but for about $75-100 (depending on which option you choose) you can read a metric ton of comics. New issues lag about 6 months behind the newsstand, but that's about the same as buying in trades.

It's awesome, but the net result is that I'm even more behind than ever since I have been reading tons of old stuff that I missed out on. Fun!

• Like 1

I still buy a stack of comics once a month and like Bang said it is expensive habit. I have also gone back and read old stuff in TPB, then sell on Ebay. Bang maybe you picked up a few.

Recently another medium I have been using is the Comixology app. This is a great all digital comic app. You can use it on any device and it has a cloud based library. Now most new releases are still regular cover price, but they do sales all the time of $.99. Great for traveling and if you take public transporation to and from work.

I thought about the digital subscription services.. Marvel gives you access to their entire library i think.

But i still have that hang up about holding a book... seeing the art on the page.

I collect marvel masterworks hardbacks. Got a nice bookcase full of them.

If anyone has any of those to sell, specifically Amazing Spiderman, i'd be interested.

On Ebay i have a group of favorite sellers i like. I  recommend a shop called Doubleheader..  or dheader as his ebay handle. Good stuff, great prices, excellent service. i buy from them a lot. I think they're in Arkansas.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2

I have been going through a list of like the 100 best graphic novels. I just finished Y: The Last Man series. Currently reading Preacher.

I will say this about the digital comics. On an iPad the art looks amazing.

Y is probably my favorite graphic novel/comic that I've read so far. I want to reread Preacher since AMC is making it into a show.

I just finished Scalped, thats another amazing graphic novel.

Can't wait for the Preacher TV series, now in development for AMC I think?

Oh, and Bang, fully agreed on holding the actual books. Reprints of anything pre-1985 and I generally want to have it, too. Love the Masterworks line.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gina-carano-joins-ryan-reynolds-773247

Gina Carano has closed a deal to join Ryan Reynolds in Deadpool, Fox’s action movie based on the wisecracking mercenary Marvel character.

T.J. Miller is set to bring comedic relief to the movie in an undisclosed role. And, fanboy alert: the Russian X-Men character known as Colossus is slated to appear in the movie.

Carano will play a character known as Angel Dust. It is unclear how she fits into the proceedings but in the Marvel comics, the character was part of an underground mutant group known as the Morlocks.

• Like 1

Preacher is and always will be..awesome. By far one of my favorite graphic novels. I always wanted to get into Y - Last Man..but I think I will go with another Brian Vaughan series and start with Saga. Heard nothing but good things about it.

BTW - you know who would make a good Jesse for that Preacher adaptation?

Sam Witwer (Crashdown for all you BSG fans). 

Edited by The Evil Genius