Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Film Breakdown: RG3 vs Cousins vs McCoy (400+ GIFs)

thehbrwhammer

How many hours a week does/did Griffin spend in the film room?

I hope it is a lot, lot, lot less than Aaron Rodgers. I pray it is.  Because if it's not ... he and we are screwed. 

My point is, if he's on top of the mental/homework side of things and he's still playing as awful as he's playing, there is zero hope. 

Rodgers learned behind Brett Favre, and for 3 years could just learn, he didnt have to go on the field under pressure as a young player.  So many teams seem ready to throw rookies into the fray rather than letting them learn for a year or two.

Rodgers was going to be a great QB, regardless of whether he sat behind Farve, or had to play right away. It wouldn't have mattered one way or the other.

You really believe if he ended up on the Raiders, Redskins or Browns he would've been great? He most likely would've been pressed into duty early.

I guess that's why he said "Those first three years were critical to my success"

Rodgers added, “When you’ve gone through it the way I’ve been through it, you realize you’re not ready.”

I'm sure they were. But if he had to play right away, he'd still be the QB he is today. It's not like he would've turned out to be David Carr or Heath Shuler.

You really believe if he ended up on the Raiders, Redskins or Browns he would've been great? He most likely would've been pressed into duty early.

I do. He'd still be a great player. Obviously he wouldn't be having the success that he's having in GB. They're stable and he's been fortunate to just have one offense and that offense has been molded around him.

I'm not disagreeing with what he or you said. What I'm saying is if he had to play right away he'd still be a great QB. Why is it that you always have to be right on everything and fail to see the other side of the argument? Do you think he'd be a bust if he had to play when he was drafted?  I just don't see it that way. As usual, we'll agree to disagree.

Rodgers was going to be a great QB, regardless of whether he sat behind Farve, or had to play right away. It wouldn't have mattered one way or the other.

Disagree. I remember watching him during preseason his rookie year. He looked lost. If he had been drafted by a team that needed him to start right away or even maybe his second year it might all have been very different for Rodgers. Of course he might have still ended up a great QB but there have been plenty other QBs who had to start early who never recover from the early set backs.

I'm not really concerned with nature vs. nurture with QBs, because QBs should have that undying desire to learn on their own, so I don't think aaron rodgers necessarily would be in the exact same situation as if he didn't sit behind favre for a few years, but in the same way you can say that having a great QB coach there is a significant reason why Rodgers development went so well, I'm sure that same QB coach would have made an equally situationally relevant "qb school" equivalent if Rodgers was the starter day 1. 

Therefore, arguing either side is probably in no one's best interest because the real answer is obviously just somewhere in the middle, but erring on the side of Aaron Rodgers being good/great. 

This is also assuming he is on the packers, which no one has said otherwise.  Sure, if he was drafted by the Raiders or Jags (or us) I'll give you the increased probability of him busting, but if his QB coach was so integral, and Mike McCarthy is there, I still think he learns mostly all the same things and maybe his career stats look a bit different but he's still a top 10 QB today most likely.  Unless you take the scenario into "oh well, Favre isn't there, therefore the team is worse, therefore Clements was fired as a random scapegoat one year, therefore McCarthy was fired in 2011, so Aaron is on a new system" type hypotheticals. 

Agreed, and some early did mention him being on the Raiders etc....all besides the point.

My point earlier was that our QB education system was drastically inferior to the Packers.

This may be the understatement of the week.lol.

Its one thing to have a promising prospect coming out of college, but it takes so many different things to come together to have a QB who can be a winner year after year. QB, coaching, system, supporting cast, and mentality all play a part in having a Rodgers-esque type of QB. 

There aren't many QBs in the league right now that one could look at and say 'I can win now with him'.

If I had to pinpoint the single biggest it would be mentality, only because a QB who is more arrogant than skilled will never make it. Jeff George was an example of a very good, strong-armed talent, but his ego ruined his career; had he been more humble, he might have been in the neighborhood of the Marinos and Elways.

Here you go...

Gracias. Where do you get the splits from, I want to give them a gander.

Here's what I got from yahoo sports:

3rd + 6

Kirk 13/26--50% comp--4.4 YPA---1 INT--0 rushing--4 sacks--2 fumbles lost--------------46.2 QB rating

Rob 18/34--53% comp--7.5 YPA---3 INT--6 rushes--6.2 YPA---9 sacks--2 fumbles lost--40.6 QB rating

They didn't have conversions made.

3rd - 6

Kirk 16/26--62% comp--6.1 YPA--2 INT-3 rushes-2.0 YPA--0 sacks---46.6 QB rating

Rob 13/19--68% comp--6.6 YPA--1 TD-5 rushes-3.0 YPA--0 sacks---104.3 QB rating

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/25812/situational/

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/25712/situational/

Funny thing is Griffin's mentality has only been questioned here.

What do you mean by 'here'? ES? This area of the country? Earth? Plenty of people nationwide have questioned his mentality. The only thing that is only done here on ES is the unwavering defense of Robert and all of his shortcomings.

ESPN stats - they have a tab for splits.

I have this membership to PFF and I always forget to explore all the metrics they keep.

I'm gonna post some every now and again...

Time in the Pocket: AVG     to Attempt               to Sack                to Scramble

Rob...................................................2.64.....................3.43..............................5.58

Colt...................................................2.49.....................3.54..............................4.40

Kirk...................................................2.37.....................2.94..............................5.20

2.5 seconds or less: 

% of throws under 2.5 seconds/Attempts         Comp%             Sacks             QB rating

Rob.........................................49%/122 atts.................80......................7.........................100

Colt.........................................51%/74 atts...................74......................2...........................89

Kirk.........................................60%/126 atts.................70......................2..........................102

Archived