Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Current 'Skins Depth Charts (O/D) with FA's Removed

KDawg

Safety remains virtually absent. Actually like LB corps (Travardo Williams looked like he had another speed in Philly game in Dec, hopefully more to come), kinda bothers me we are so linked to OLB at 5. NT could use depth, thus would not be one bit upset with DL at 5, obvious Shelton for me is a solid building block. OL has been discussed endlessly. Prefer interior guy in 2nd round.

Trading back is always appealing, but this year just seems like we could get great value at S, DL and OL with 1st and 2 seconds.

If I'm the skins.. After OLB in the first round I'm drafting a Right Tackle and at least  two Guards in the rest of the draft!  We cant wait to see if Moses or Long are going to pan out. We need good talent that can step in and play ASAP like Jacksonville's Brandon Linder or Dallas' Zach Martin!  We have got to protect our QBs this season!

Based on our current depth chart, here are my top 5 priority needs based on position:

1. Safety

2. Guard

3. ILB

4. OLB.

5. Right tackle

1. Our safety position is pathetic. Either guys who haven't developed yet, don't have starter talent or have been hurt and haven't shown much yet.

2. Equally as pathetic. Lauvao and Chester are just holes in the pocket$$$  and also holes in the line.

3. Riley isn't bad, but he has no redeeming quality. He is average in all areas. Keenan at least is uber athletic. Getting a dominant run-stopper who isn't devoid of coverage ability would be a big improvement.

4. I love murphy. But I don't think he is the guy who will be starter for years to come. Perhaps an OLB with pass-rush specialty and Murphy can switch between OLD/DE depending on situation.

5. Compton just isn't it. He's not pathetic, but he also isn't a good starter. Moses jury is out.

Updated with Johnson signing. Added Campbell, Nixon and removed Biggers. Let me know if anything else needs to be switched.

Also, I should probably make a statement and say this is a projected depth chart from my eyes without any real knowledge of what the thought process is. So don't get all worked up if this isn't on point. :)

Updated with Johnson signing. Added Campbell, Nixon and removed Biggers. Let me know if anything else needs to be switched.

Also, I should probably make a statement and say this is a projected depth chart from my eyes without any real knowledge of what the thought process is. So don't get all worked up if this isn't on point. :)

Nah, we know. Not getting worked up. I keep up with the roster on my flash drive every year, so I thought about this. Just here to help coach. We always like your threads. I'll keep an eye out if I see changes.

Looking at the WRs, I don't understand why people don't think the Skins should choose a WR.  It's not as deep as people think.  Cooper would be hard to pass up if he is there when the Skins are on the clock.  He is a massive talent.

I very much agree, actually.

Well, to the point that taking him is a real possibility (as we will be drafting BPA, pretty much anyone is a real possibility). But I think, if Cooper is there, the 'Skins will look to move the pick and they should get some pretty decent offers to do so. But in the end, I could see them pulling the trigger on him.

Especially with there being no guarantee that Desean/Pierre remain here beyond this season.

Thanks for keeping this updated KDawg.

We still have holes, but it's not as bad as I originally thought.

I see only one position we truly need to upgrade. That's Free Safety. We just don't seem to have any starting talent in terms of a true FS on the roster. We could role with Duke or Philip Thomas there, but it seems we just have a lot of guys better suited for SS

Only having one real "need" of an upgrade is absolutely nice. Definitely a few places we could use an upgrade though...

Possible Offensive Upgrades (Wants)

- Upgrade RT from Compton

- Upgrade RG from Chester

- Upgrade blocking TE from Paulsen

- Upgrade scat/change of pace back from Thompson

Possible Defensive Upgrades (Wants)

- Upgrade the Jack Backer from Riley

- Upgrade ROLB from Murphy

Near Future needs (Luxuries)

- Long term NT

- "#1 mold" WR

- Center

- DE

-----------------------------------------------------------

Clou's suggested he goes BPA 1-3 and weighs need heavier in rounds 4-7. I think our current set up of Needs, Wants, and Luxuries, along with how the talent pool in this draft, puts us in a nice position.

Right now BPA at #5 is looking like a OLB (bunch of them), WR (White/Cooper), DE (Williams), NT (Shelton), RG/RT (Scherf). Every one of those is either a Need, Want, or Luxury for based on the holes on this team.

There's potential talent in the early 2nd or early 3rd that should actually allow BPA and Need to come together a bit and fill our one true "Need", FS.

Blocking TE, Change of Pace/3rd down back, and even a groomable C are all things that can be found reasonably in rounds 4 through 7.

I think there's a great chance, even using Clou's draft strategy, that we come out of this draft with a solid roster. Not great by any means, but definitely an improvement from the prior year.

I very much agree, actually.

Well, to the point that taking him is a real possibility (as we will be drafting BPA, pretty much anyone is a real possibility). But I think, if Cooper is there, the 'Skins will look to move the pick and they should get some pretty decent offers to do so. But in the end, I could see them pulling the trigger on him.

Especially with there being no guarantee that Desean/Pierre remain here beyond this season.

Whoever they get and wherever they draft him, he must become a star or a major contributor.   In fact, they need to find 2 or 3 starters in this draft.  Looking at the roster, I agree that help is still needed everywhere.  There doesn't appear to be a surplus of talent at any position, so BPA is the best way to go with their high first-round pick.

Unless someone blows them out of the water with a ridiculous trade, they should not trade below pick #12 to ensure they get a very talented player.

The McCoy signing puts us over the top. Super Bowl bound, baybay!

Yeah, just what I was thinking...... :rolleyes:

I hear people clamoring for a "star" addition with the #5 pick, but IMO that ignores a lot of what we've seen already. McClue looked over the roster, the upcoming draft class and FAs, and made assessments on what could best be fixed now with an eye to the future. As desperately as we need to upgrade the O line, there just doesn't seem to be a value additions available, and tbh I am pleasantly surprised in moves not made, the kind of stopgap signings we've seen in the past. I have to believe that he has gotten Callahan's opinion on what he has and needs going into the season, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I'm groaning at Chester getting steamrolled inside again.

Just based on the evidence of what is known, as opposed to all the FF Madden kiddies bleatings, the FO is functioning differently, gauging changes based on needs and players available now. I'll be a little surprised to see a glitzy WR taken@ 5, really expecting some hardcore horsetrading that yields picks used to bolster areas beyond skill players.

No matter what, this is already the most entertaining spring we've had in a long time.

Just based on the evidence of what is known, as opposed to all the FF Madden kiddies bleatings, the FO is functioning differently, gauging changes based on needs and players available now. I'll be a little surprised to see a glitzy WR taken@ 5, really expecting some hardcore horsetrading that yields picks used to bolster areas beyond skill players.

No matter what, this is already the most entertaining spring we've had in a long time.

I disagree with you here. I could see us taking a receiver at 5. Reason being is that by all accounts, McCloughan believes in BPA with the first three rounds. It's a similar stance to the way I think about the draft, but his is obviously better :)

So a receiver, if the BPA, would be the pick. Having said that, I think, barring Williams sitting in our laps (that's just my opinion) at 5, the first inkling will be to trade back (probably not too far back) and acquire more picks in the first three rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

With the roster the way it is now, the free agent's that are left, trades and the draft I was wondering what offensive line people would like to see starting the first game. Mine would be:

LT- Trent Williams- Goes without saying

LG- Spencer Long- I really hope he puts in the work and is not another OL bust. 

C- Stefen Wisniewski- Read today that he is recovering from shoulder surgery, so that answered the question I had as to why nobody signed him. He will probably have to sign a one year "prove it" deal like Knighton. I think he would be a big up-grade over Kory L. He's big like Callahan likes, his former OL coach Sporano calls him brilliant and he has a nasty disposition. 

RG- Laken Tomlinson- I'm not sure if I want him as the 6th pick in round 2 but I hope the Redskins can trade down a few spots in the first and pick up another #2 pick to take Tomlinson, he has started 52 straight games at Duke, played RG so it wouldn't be a position change, very high character guy, hard worker and a massive human being.

RT- Morgan Moses/Anthony Collins/Tom Compton/?- A hard one to guess for me. I thought for sure it would be Doug Free or Jeremy Parnell but I'm glad the Redskins didn't over pay to bring either one in. I like Brandon Scherff and Andrus Peat but I like them around pick 11/12 not 5. It is too early to give up on Moses, people are mostly down on him for one bad play he made his rookie year. I doubt Compton is anything more than a career reserve, I think people were more just glad Polumbus wasn't starting anymore than anything good that Compton showed. I would sign Anthony Collins to a cheap one year deal. He always played his best in Cincinnati when he was playing for a contract the next year.

Looking over that offensive line doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence going into the season, I hoped that it would be a big priority this off-season but I understand everything cannot be fixed in one year and young players need time to develop. I just hope that Bill Callahan is a miracle worker and the change in coaches helps a lot. 

Started this post and then realized it became a bit... convoluted? Posting it anyway -

IMO, sorting the roster needs by short, mid and long term (this year, next year, and 2+ years):

Short term needs:

Tier 1: FS, OG, RT

Tier 2: corner (for the slot in particular), WR (slot WR able to start in case of injury), TE (a solid blocker, but preferably an all-around guy)

Tier 3: RB, C, DE, ILB, OLB

Mid term:

Tier 1: FS, OG, RT (depending on Moses), QB, NT, ILB, RB and OLB/LT (depending on Murphy's development and Kerrigan and Williams, though both seem almost certain to re-sign)

Tier 2: corner, WR, TE, C, DE

Long Term:

FS, OG, OT, QB, NT, ILB, RB, WR, DE, TE, corner, and of course OLB/LT as above... yes, that's basically the whole team, but hopefully some/many of these can be removed/addressed/answered before we reach this point.

The only other positions I didn't include - kicker/punter/long snapper/SS (we may not have an answer at SS, but plenty of young guys with some potential)

Left off QB for short term, although I could see the argument for inclusion.

There are just so many avenues in the draft that would/could be hugely beneficial for the team - a matchup of BPA and need*. A trade down getting us another 2nd (or 3rd) could net us one of the top guards, tackles and FS... possibly the pinnacle? of a need/BPA mesh.

Bottom line though, we're almost certainly addressing significant needs while still maintaining a BPA approach. Given the abundance of needs within the next couple of years, if they draft pretty well, this could be our most productive draft in ages.

* I'm a BPA guy, but it's nice when you're able to overlap with need IMO.

Ps - thanks for putting in the work KDawg!

Archived