Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan prediction thread

Tsailand

Which team will have a better 2016 regular season record?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will have a better 2016 regular season record?

• The Redskins
    • Whatever team Mike Shanahan is the head coach for
    • They'll have the same record
    • Mike Shanahan won't be a head coach in 2016

Glad to see his and Kyles's careers weren't effected by the Washington's Fan's dysfunction

Man, I guess I should have cut back on the crank calls. I probably drove them out of town. And in hindsight, I guess spamming their emails with angry posts from ES didn't help either.

I'm sorry I ruined their careers with my dysfunction. My bad!

I voted for Mike having the better year. With that being said. He isn't the answer for any team if you ask me.

Of course after the contract Cutler was just given. The Bears might not have a choice, but other then hire Mike.

Yea, Shanahan is from Illinois & has the Cutler connection. I figure Kyle will be his OC again. He has now reached Norv, Marty & Parcells retread level lol

I'm pretty sure Gruden won more games this year than Shanny did last year :)

I hope you're joking.

Shanahan has 169 wins as a HC. Gruden has 4. And Shanahan won 10 games in 2012, so what does that mean? Try to be less result-oriented.

Haven't voted yet because....

1. We don't even know where Shanahan is going yet.  If he goes to a team with an already established and decent defense, then I can see him doing well.  His offense will do fine, but he's been fired twice now for his terrible defenses.

2.  We don't know who our DC will be, or what our FO will look like.  A merely competent DC can make our D at least middle of the pack (see Cowboys' Marinelli).  And a better FO structure (depending on what happens with AJ and McCloughan) might be able to get us some better depth and potential contributors this offseason.

Shanahan is a significantly better coach than Gruden. He made some mistakes in DC and was far from perfect, but I'd still take him over at least half the other current head coaches. 

Kyle, is that you? 

I'm pretty sure Mike Shanahan has coached many more seasons than Gruden as well. Did you forget Shanahan's tenure with the Raiders?

Your argument for Gruden being a better coach is that he won four games instead of three with the same team, which is laughable by itself, but more importantly you ignore that Shanahan won 10 games with that same team in 2012.

I was never arguing that Shanahan is better than Gruden because of WINS -- you were arguing the inverse. Shanahan is a much better coach because he isn't a moronic play-caller, he doesn't evaluate QBs based on WINS and LOSSES like gruden (and Skip Bayless), and he never started his entire roster of QBs before deciding he didn't like 2/3 of them. 

Like I said, Shanahan is not a perfect coach or even an elite coach, but he's a good/solid one and is way better than a bumbling newb like Gruden.

Your argument for Gruden being a better coach is that he won four games instead of three with the same team, which is laughable by itself, but more importantly you ignore that Shanahan won 10 games with that same team in 2012.

I was never arguing that Shanahan is better than Gruden because of WINS -- you were arguing the inverse. Shanahan is a much better coach because he isn't a moronic play-caller, he doesn't evaluate QBs based on WINS and LOSSES like gruden (and Skip Bayless), and he never started his entire roster of QBs before deciding he didn't like 2/3 of them.

Like I said, Shanahan is not a perfect coach or even an elite coach, but he's a good/solid one and is way better than a bumbling newb like Gruden.

I never said Gruden is a better coach. I'm putting into perspective how they both shared with the same team since it's all we really have to go on at this point since Gruden is only a first year head coach.

Shanahan was certainly part of the problem. This idea that he was squeaky clean here is hilarious considering Pat Bowlen fired him for the same exact reasons he got fired here.

Agree. MS is a decent coach but he is not a team builder. He is good if he has a stacked team in place with a good QB when he comes in but so are a lot of coaches. The personnel  mistakes he made here are still being felt. DS brought him here because he always thinks he has a good team but in reality his teams are not good. The Skins need a rebuilding coach and those guys are HTF.

If Shanahan gets hired again, he'll be the most overrated active coach in the league. He's won exactly one playoff game without a HOF QB. I hope he does get another coaching gig, just so he gets exposed again.

115-109, 1-6 playoff record in 14 seasons since elway.

Make of that what you will.

What will be interesting to see is if Lobsterman takes a HC gig without getting full control that he had here in Washington and in Denver, and if there is a GM who can pressure him into hiring a competent DC.

Schotferbrains could've stayed here beyond the first year if he had been willing to fire Jimmy Raye (who was dreadful) and give up control over personnel (which he sucked at). He refused, preferring instead to collect Dannyboy's money. Then he took a job in SD on condition that Butler ran personnel and that Jimmy Raye would not be hired.

Part of the Shamster's downfall, besides sticking insufferably to an outdated OL scheme, has been his neglect and abuse of the defensive side of his teams, stemming from hiring incompetent sycophantic staff and draft busts. Limiting his authority might actually benefit him tremendously, much as it did for Holmgren in Seattle.

I think he winds up in Chicago.  They're on the hook for a big Cutler contract, and I would bet Cutler would want him back.  With Jeffery and Marshall, I can see Shanny doing good things with that offense.  I'm thinking San Fran is less likely.  My guess is Chicago, 7-9 in that division. 

And no matter what happened during his last year here, or the first three, to debate whether or not Gruden or Shanny is the better coach is laughable.  

Archived