Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Let's Do Something About This" Thread **Now with Fan Card 2.0 and New Letter**

TSO

When I said earlier that "none of us are experts", I didn't even know SIP had a background handling mail for a Senator. We've got SIP telling us based on experience, the incredible success online petitioning has had recently with numerous websites causing huge banks and/or goverments to change, as well as the examples directly related to the Redskins (the fan card in 09, Jim Fassel)... I just don't see the argument as to why not.     

Exactly.  Don't see what anyone has to lose by sending one of their rants to allenb@redskins.com versus making another post on a thread.  There are outfits that pay just to get people to send letters to representatives to sway opinion.  Yeah nothing is guaranteed but its a shot.  And again the fan outcry about Fassel was given credit for him not getting the job.  Grant Paulsen said on the air about a week ago they he knew there was someone at Redskins park assigned to collect feedback for what's heard on talk radio. 

Do I think if 1000 people complained to the Redskins FO that Dan has to stop looking at the GM spot for his social club and get serious about it for once, I do suspect at the very least it will become a sensitive subject over there.   Right now, I think what saves things over there is the anger is so spread out and isn't really directed on that front.  It's the RG3 versus Cousins or Colt, or Jay or no Jay, who the next D coordinator is, what do we with the 5th pick in the draft -- and the Dan messing up the GM spot goes below the radar.  

He needs someone to help him align and structure the organization properly by using models from other successful organizations. Data, surveys, interviews, resumes, consultations and the like would all be things that I would focus on outside of "normal day to day NFL calendar" activities.

That's what Bruce's job should be. Dan doesn't need to focus on anything (because he will never be able to hang) other than hiring a competent director of football operations and then getting the hell out of the way.

Where do we get the fan cards to send in?

We're working on a better, shorter and more succinct letter right now that we hope everyone will like. It's very similar to the fan card in terms of the ability to personalize it, but more nuanced and less flashy. 

Uh? Good luck??? Without volume? Nothing will happen. Its a privately held company and I am sorry to say this but we are not shareholders and have zero vote. Influence maybe a tad? A TAD. But nothing more than that.

FO sucks

Team sucks

Game day experience sucks

Field sucks

etc.

But we generate revenue globally. And there is nothing we can really do to impact the bottom line... $$$

Uh? Good luck??? Without volume? Nothing will happen. Its a privately held company and I am sorry to say this but we are not shareholders and have zero vote. Influence maybe a tad? A TAD. But nothing more than that.

We find in this observation, however, the seeds of reform contained therein.

Right now, we have teams holding cities hostage for stadium deals.  Even if the team fully finances the stadium (which happens when?) there are usually costs taken by cities and counties to build supporting infrastructure.  

I have no idea how it would happen but I think the future should be some form of legal reform (obviously the NFL is essentially an alliance of the owners, and would never forsake shares to "public" partnerships) which requires any of these public-private partnerships maintain a voting share for the city (or maybe even have a record of individual citizens who can remain stockholders even if they move, I'm a bigger fan than some idiot Dallas fan who grew up in DC.)  This would mean that if you had the old Bidwell as an owner, that you'd be able to exert some force on him to spend money to maintain a competitive team.  

More ideally would be individual shareholders who, as a collective, could apply pressure.  Maybe profit can go to actual shareholders, but fanbases would have some sort of voting power over their team, since without the participation and interest of fans, there is no business whatsoever and people can always move on to other sports (or college.)  

Dear Mr. Allen,

The Washington Redskins is one of the proudest, storied teams in NFL history.

The fans are loyal, caring, understanding, and dedicated, but years of falling short is taking its toll. There are changes made every few years, mostly in the coaching aspect, new schemes, coaches, formations, language, etc, and it is not being a help to the organization.

You, Mr. Allen, are a genius at the numbers aspect of player salary and structure, but admittingly are not equal in player/coach acquisition. It is not a criticism on your behalf, it is merely a judgement based on past tendencies.

Change is needed in Redskin land, and you are the one person who can make it happen. Hiring personnel who have experience, and success, in coaching and in player evaluation is in dire need. Take a step back, and look at it from an outside POV; some coaching personnel were hired who were not successful in prior attempts with other teams; hiring coaches on this ideal does not equal success, it only brings a lack of confidence from the players that coach is working with.

For years, this team has been 'hammering square pegs into round holes', but now is the time to either find round pegs or cut square holes. It is work, it requires calculations, but if done, will result in the thing needed most; winning. It also requires swallowing pride, but for the betterment of the team, and the organization, it is something that has to be done.

A coach, player, GM, owner, etc, does not need to see eye to eye to be a success; some of the greatest organizations in sports have personnel who do not get along on a personal level, but their success on the field is the primary goal, and they reach it, year in and out.

I, as well as every fan across the world, wants to see success back in DC. Why not focus on getting the best possible personnel and players to make this a reality. Yes, it may require change which may be uncomfortable in your aspect or a coach's philosophy, but the status quo isnot conducive to putting together a winning organization.

You have the ability, make your father, and us fans, once again proud to be a fan of the greatest team in sports. Even if you strike out, at least take a few swings. You never know.

SIC

P.S. Instead of the generalized 'reply of understanding and concern', make it a little more of a personalized reply; this will prove that you have read my letter and understand the magnitude of my, as well as every other fan's concerns.

IMO, Bruce's press conference was designed in a way to go beloow the radar, he didn't want fans talking about it.

1. They fire Haslett right before it to divert attention

2.  They do it on New Years eve -- right when people are focused on other things and most of the sports radio stations are winding down for the day and the rest of the week

Lets not give Bruce that out. Lets pound the FO with complaints.   As I said earlier, Grant Paulsen said there is someone in charge at Redskins Park at following comments from talk radio.  

Do I think they care what we think as for our suggestions?  Nope.  Do I think they care if they know a number of us are upset. Yeah.  Granted Danny's business skills are questionable but I'd presume even he understands fans not showing up to games and not buying merchandise and being upset -- hurts the bottom line.

Speaking of Paulsen, he is doing a good hit right now on Allen echoing my major complaint and that is whenever Bruce was pressed for specifics, he said that's not a problem.  Bruce in the press conference said, the draft went well.  FA went well.  Scott Campbell is great, the scouts are great.  And heck, they are winning off the field.     

This is all about Bruce responding to this thread!  Just kidding but lets keep this stuff coming, it doesn't hurt to egg them on.

Sources: #Redskins reached out to respected personnel man Scot McCloughan about being a top executive for them. Was out of football in ’14.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12014699/scot-mccloughan-nfl-best-talent-scout-self-employed-living-farm

I just sent Bruce this:

with this heading:  Scot McCloughan, great example of what the Redskins need

McCloughan is regarded as one of the best in the business at personnel. And again, bringing on one of the better personnel guys in the business isn't something that's been tried here.  

I know you are outstanding at what you do.  But many of us fans are tired of watching other teams being regarding of having the top personnel guys and having the best drafts, etc.   While we jealously watch those teams like the Ravens appear regularly in the playoffs, etc. 

If you can change this about the franchise, it would add to your legacy and make many fans like myself happy.

Mike  

I've stopped watching the games, it's way to humiliating and downright suicidal to watch these games with any real interest.

Next I'll stop coming here which is my last source of monetary contributions to this ****ty franchise.   If I can knock out ESPN 980 and this website I'll be completely Skins free and will no longer be helping the team suck.   No more free page clicks from me.  No more radio ads sold to me.     

That's how I'm getting change done.   Make this organization to expensive to own!

I've stopped watching the games, it's way to humiliating and downright suicidal to watch these games with any real interest.

Next I'll stop coming here which is my last source of monetary contributions to this ****ty franchise.   If I can knock out ESPN 980 and this website I'll be completely Skins free and will no longer be helping the team suck.   No more free page clicks from me.  No more radio ads sold to me.     

That's how I'm getting change done.   Make this organization to expensive to own!

In all sincerity, I think your position is quite valid and I'm amenable to helping. Based on your comments, I see no good reason for you to procrastinate past this point. But if you're still feeling a little light in the sack department or decide you're just hopelessly mired in equivocation, let me know and I'll pull the plug for you and cheer you on with a departing "Go get 'em Gibbsfactor!!!

I'll be here all week.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12014699/scot-mccloughan-nfl-best-talent-scout-self-employed-living-farm

I just sent Bruce this:

with this heading:  Scot McCloughan, great example of what the Redskins need

McCloughan is regarded as one of the best in the business at personnel. And again, bringing on one of the better personnel guys in the business isn't something that's been tried here.  

I know you are outstanding at what you do.  But many of us fans are tired of watching other teams being regarding of having the top personnel guys and having the best drafts, etc.   While we jealously watch those teams like the Ravens appear regularly in the playoffs, etc. 

If you can change this about the franchise, it would add to your legacy and make many fans like myself happy.

Mike  

Why don't we e-mail Scot and try to get him to take the job? 

Why don't we e-mail Scot and try to get him to take the job? 

I don't know why, but this cracks me up. And we should totally do it. 

Scott, 

"Take the job, ahole!" 

Signed, 

Incredibly Desperate Redskins Fan

Who knows if he's right but Sheehan on 980 just now ironically was giving reasons for why we should be doing what we are doing here.  He suggests Bruce interacts with fans in settings where they kiss up to him.  They see Bruce in the parking lots and events and people are nice to him and he likely has no idea that most of us fans think the FO is incompetent.   He likely thinks the FO stuff its just a media beef.

Can you imagine if he started getting e-mails from people like "Alex in Bethesda" begging him to accept Snyder's offer? 

I think that would be awesome or at least funny.  I checked on facebook and twitter, he's not there.    Reading the article about him via ESPN, he might be the type to get a kick out of fans pushing him to come save their franchise. 

I checked LinkedIn, but he's only connected to 2 people so I doubt he uses it. If anyone knows his company's name, we could probably get at him that way. 

Tried to find his business, Instinctive Scouting.  Couldn't do it.

Where's Raymond Reddington when you need him?

Alright guys, check out the update. 

Everyone's feedback has been taken into this and I think we're at a great spot right now. Hopefully, as many people as possible take this letter, make it their own, and send it in. There can be nothing but good that comes out of this.

I know some may be wondering why we didn't go the "fan card" route, but the problem with that is the topic we're dealing with here (a shift in organizational philosophy) is much more nuanced than a simple "Get rid of Vinny Cerrato" type deal. We don't just want one person gone. We want a proper hiring process that puts the proper experts in their proper places with their proper titles, and allowed to fulfill their respective responsibilities based on those titles properly.

So, yeah.. I think the fan card was great for its time, but it was a little gimmicky and a bit too simple for this message. Let's not be redundant and let's show the organization that we've grown as fans by sending them a letter that shows we understand our issues properly.

Hope everyone does it! We're here for the long term. We understand some of the news that's coming out may have pacified some of us. That's totally okay. And, hey, if they're doing it right that's the point of this, so I'd hope it goes nowhere because they're actually doing the right thing... but right now we have a chance to let them know that we know and to help them realize the urgency of the matter. Let's hit them as hard as we can!    

I checked LinkedIn, but he's only connected to 2 people so I doubt he uses it. If anyone knows his company's name, we could probably get at him that way. 

I'd say ask on 4chan or somewhere similar, those guys dox people like pros, but they might do things with that information we won't like...

You know, maybe someone at Redskins part got some of the e-mails people sent.  That's a nice thought.

We're working on a better, shorter and more succinct letter right now that we hope everyone will like. It's very similar to the fan card in terms of the ability to personalize it, but more nuanced and less flashy. 

Just copy the style of the old fan card that is simple to just print out and mail. A few sentences that is your mission statement. That's all you need. Then a space for the person to sign their name and year they became a Skins fan....and address to mail it. That's it. You got this.

skinsfancard.jpg

Archived