Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MMQB:Any Sense of Stability is Sacrificed

Riggo-toni

This is stupid criticsm... people were happy with Allen, when Snyder too his hands off allegedly. So your QB didnt work and the GM everyone wanted made a bunch of whiffs, and Snyder's mistake was not firing the coordinator.

Jeebus -- tough couple of seasons here, but what's the answer? Everyone preached stay the course, but now lets blow it up.

Change the OL, get younger in the defensive backfield, and keep looking for the QB answer. Unfortunately the RG3 trade was a bust, but I am glad we took the chance and had a stellar year in 2012.

I will always be a Redskin fan.

Allen, Gruden, and pretty much every person employed by the Washington Redskins who does not have a contract that makes it prohibitive to get rid of them"

Agreed, 100%

Gut the whole ****in building

This is stupid criticsm... people were happy with Allen, when Snyder too his hands off allegedly. So your QB didnt work and the GM everyone wanted made a bunch of whiffs, and Snyder's mistake was not firing the coordinator.

Jeebus -- tough couple of seasons here, but what's the answer? Everyone preached stay the course, but now lets blow it up.

Change the OL, get younger in the defensive backfield, and keep looking for the QB answer. Unfortunately the RG3 trade was a bust, but I am glad we took the chance and had a stellar year in 2012.

I will always be a Redskin fan.

Who exactly wanted Allen? I dont remember this

Just about everyone **** on the hire, because he is not a football guy. Never has been, never will be.

Who exactly wanted Allen? I dont remember this

Just about everyone **** on the hire, because he is not a football guy. Never has been, never will be.

Exactly.  Being enthralled with the departure of Vinny Bugeyes is not the same as wanting Allen, anymore than kicking the Nazis out of Latvia is the same as wanting the Soviets to take over.

Most people who were on board with the Allen hire initially were only on board because Shanahan was really the one picking personnel and Allen was the guy trying to make the numbers work.

Allen has never really felt like a "real" GM in the sense of scouting and bringing the right player to the team.  He was a numbers guy for Shanahan and then his very next move is to hire and old buddy.

Strike 2!

Speaking for myself, I was against Allen being hired, but was going to give him the benefit of the doubt and allow him one season to prove his worth. I also thought he would listen to his scouts, and fire Haslett. I actually wanted Snyder to hire a consultant, because I did not trust Snyder to do the right thing on his own.

Aaaaand none of that happened

Pardon me for speaking out of turn Re: fanbase thoughts on Allen. 

I think the criticism against Snyder is that he makes bad choices -- not that he's not trying.  The article is talking about stability yet ignoring the lack of stability that occurred previously (like Firing Marty after one season).

I don't see how Snyder doesn't try one more year with Gruden as coach, and let Gruden go through the personnel processes, etc.  If the team isn't improved after one year than maybe its time for another re-org and re-shuffling of the whole trash-pile. 

Everyone is unhappy because we are losing, coach, team President, owner, and most importantly fanbase.  If RG3 had turned out to be a stud, or at least a competent QB -- we would at least have some hope, but this season has gotta be the most crushing due to the RG3 regression. 

I'm never gonna stop pulling for this team. 

Or these Snyder Quotes from the early years:

"Many times perception is not reality," Snyder said. "I think I'm pretty hands-off. As Marty learns spending a lot of time with me, I'm not as hands-on as it may sound because I'm young and I'm sometimes in the building."
Skins' Snyder Now 'Hands'Off' - CBS News

" That free-agency night, which started at midnight—I don’t know why they started at midnight—but at midnight Joe called every single player we had on our list to call, and I called every single agent. We’re in there all night long, we’re doing deals, we sign up Shawn Springs and Cornelius Griffin . . . and we just keep going, going, going. At 6:30 we said, “All right, we all gotta sleep.”

"I’ve never actually watched film with a coach in six years. And all that media crap that says I’m sitting there meddling and stuff—I’ve never watched film with a coach. That would be embarrassing. I do the deals. I work with the agents. I work out the best terms of a contract that make it salary-cap-friendly and all that stuff. But all that stuff about, “Do I do this with coaches?” That’s all horse stuff. "
Vintage Dan Snyder: A Rare Interview With the Redskins Owner From 2004 | Sports | Washingtonian

"On Jim Zorn: “The general manager needs to prevent the owner from hiring someone who’s not qualified. And that’s why Vinny is no longer here, to be truthful with you. He’s not here because his job was to prevent the owner from hiring a not-qualified coach. Having said that, we went in and had the worst two-year experience I ever dreamed. I apologized, according to my wife, ten thousand times. I apologize openly. I made a big mistake. It’s a terrible experience when you know you got the wrong guy to lead the franchise.” Dan Snyder says he fired Vinny Cerrato for letting him hire Jim Zorn - The Washington Post

And he said that AFTER he had already hired another unqualified GM:

"Bruce Allen is the personification of an NFL winner," Snyder said in a statement released by the team. "Our fans know his heritage; we know his abilities. He is the right person to lead our club." Bruce Allen Replaces Vinny Cerrato As Redskins GM

If RGIII is traded, goes onto have success and Gruden fails here and is fired in two years than this fanbase will have a meltdown. All the same guys crushing Griffin will be complaining about us getting rid of him.

Not me. I've had enough of the RG media glare. And if he did experience success here again I guarantee he would be out there pumping up the hype machine. This team needs rebuild from ground up with a year or two distraction free. Having a lightning rod like RG makes that difficult.

I have no problem with Allen & Gruden being shown the door together.

I HATE the idea of firing a coach after only one season, but I'm sorry, Gruden has failed on EVERY level....

1) He was supposed to be the QB whisperer to RG3 and he has regressed, hell ALL three QBs have struggled!

2) The team's record will be no better than the mess from last year...and it actually feels worse!

3) The team is being outscored in each of the four quarters this year. That speaks to preparation and motivation.

4) Gruden is completely in over his head with regards to how to handle the media in such a large market, so he resorts to throwing selected players (RG3) under the bus while lionizing and making excuses for others who don't necessarily deserve it (Colt). In case you missed it, check this link...

http://realredskins.com/2014/12/09/mccoy-our-protection-failed-a-lot/

I'm sure there are more reasons but my coffee cup is empty and filling it right now is more important than thinking of more reasons Gruden sucks as my beloved team's head coach.

Nailed it.  What baffles and disappoints me the most is that Snyder continues to listen to the wrong people.  I don't know how to change that, and I don't even know if it can.

As long as he is himself, we are doomed.

The most heartbreaking thing about this season is that I took solace in last year being rock bottom.  One does need to hit rock bottom before turning around, and not only was last season not rock bottom, it looks like Snyder has a jackhammer and shovel in his hand to make rock bottom even lower.

Maybe to some fans we are rock bottom but to Dan Snyder we are far from it.

For the franchise to hit rock bottom for him:

(1) There is no more season ticket waiting list

(2) Most of the season ticket holders cancel.

(3) 10,000 or few people attend the games.

etc...

Basically, when it reaches a point where so little people care about the Redskins; his wallet is affected.  Yeah, he will still get the shared NFL money but if he reaches a point like I describe; it will affect him.

Also, whatever personal satisfaction he gets from being NFL owner will be gone.  He will be an owner of a rotten egg and nothing more.

Hiring a GM will only work if Snyder stays the **** away.

And we know how much he hates sharing his toy with someone else.

True. Snyder would rather the team fail doing it his way than succeed with someone else running the show. If he can't singlehandedly take credit for the team success then he could care less if it never comes.

True. Snyder would rather the team fail doing it his way than succeed with someone else running the show. If he can't singlehandedly take credit for the team success then he could care less if it never comes.

That's exactly why he fired Schottenheimer all those years ago. He didn't fire him because he didn't believe he would win, he even said that.

Archived