Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grade Colt McCoy

TimmySmith

I'm grading him a D first the throws were awful.the TD pass to Desean was horribly underthrown and was really Int. material If the defender didn't fall . The TD pass to Paulson was improbable 3 sackers missing him..just poor tackling that's 14 points of fortune not expert execution..the first half was miserable..He isn't going to be that fortunate against the Rams

B. How long had it been since we converted a third and long?

Three touchdowns. Led several sustained 80 yard drives. Almost 400 yards passing. Spread the ball around.

Plus I just kinda think the guy has moxy.

I don't give him an A because of the slow start and failing to capitalize on turnovers.

I am 100% behind the sentiment from another thread that you don't need godlike QB play to win games. Colt won't give you that. But I believe he is capable of Kaepernick type play, based on what we've seen

First of all Kaepernick !!....NO THANK YOU. He is Overrated ,Overpaid and A horrible performing NFL Quarterback...And Yes we do need godlike quarterback play to offset the Poor coaching ,play-calling and management that has plagued the Redskins .

right now I grade McCoy over Kaepernick McCoy a D and Kaepernick a D minus respectively :)

1st, Im an RGIII supporter.. But given what we've seen the last 3 weeks, I give Colt a solid B.. 1st half looked just like RGIII, then I noticed something I'd not seen yet, but had been hoping for.. Play-action-Roll outs. Quick Slant routes.. I think allowing Colt to run those plays let him settle in, hide the crummy blocking and got us some decent offense! Happy for him! Wish we were still letting Robert get those reps, since the season is toast, but since that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen, gotta pull for the guy in the game!

I hope they don't relax on how pitiful the line is though, since they still can't get off a snap or line up right most anytime we're in a scoring drive.. Oh, and obviously they can't protect the passer.. But other than that.. lol Fix the line, please!!

Looks like you have chosen the wrong post to GoDeep on..I'd edit the post and stick with the The grading of McCoy ..This is a #10 forbidden thread...hopefully the moderator doesn't see this first :)

I think the kid has something.  Moxy.  Resliance.  Composure.  He just needs more time.  He also seems hungry.  He knows this is probably his last chance to make a case for himself as a possible NFL starter.  There are probably four or five teams he could probably start for right now.   Jets. Tampa.  Carolina (the way Cam is performing).   Raiders.  

Of the three quarterbacks I think he has the best demeanor.  He stay's balanced and even.   I think Jay is going to really like him when everything is said and done and convince him to sign an extension.

Is this a Shuler, Ferrotte, Green redo.    Griffin, Cousins, McCoy.   Think about it.  Who ended up being the best quarterback of the three.  Hmmmm.  Ironically the third quarterback.    Trent Green.   Who knows here. Colt right now plays the most consistent.   I think he has the potential to turn into a Marc Bulger type.  What's the difference between him and Russell Wilson physically.   Not much.  We will see.   He is interesting to me.   I'm not as quick to just cast him off as only a back up just yet.   He was the one person that kept us even in the game.   He kept competing.  I need to see more.   

I would give an over all grade of B.  The lone bright spot.  The more time with the receivers, I think the better they will become.  Kind of worried about the Rams.  They can rush.   And, I believe Long is back.  

C+

Positives:  Good short-to-intermediate passing game and he built confidence over the course of the game.  Performed pretty well considering he wasn't named starter til mid-week.

Negatives:  Needs to build better chemistry with his receivers and trust them on the deep ball/jump ball.  (The bomb to DJax was only a TD because the defender wasn't expecting the pass to be thrown so far behind.)  Once Colt starts to put a little more juice on those big throws and gets used to the speed/athletic ability of these WRs, I think he could find himself very comfortable in this offense.

Out Of His Control:   The offensive play-calling was actually worse than the O-Line this week.  Between DJax, Garcon, Roberts, and Reed-- I believe it's fair to say we have the "shiftiest" receiving group in the league.... So why are our guys constantly getting jammed up and not finding open field?  It seems like all of our catches are in traffic or guys are just simply covered!  It shouldn't be happening with the players we have!

First of all Kaepernick !!....NO THANK YOU. He is Overrated ,Overpaid and A horrible performing NFL Quarterback...And Yes we do need godlike quarterback play to offset the Poor coaching ,play-calling and management that has plagued the Redskins .

right now I grade McCoy over Kaepernick McCoy a D and Kaepernick a D minus respectively :)

The point of my post went right past you. 

It's great and all that you don't care for Kaep, but it has nothing to do with the context he was used in my post.

That's all I'll say about that, because the mods have specifically asked that we not go down the road you are baiting. 

Overall I give him an "I", for incomplete. I want to see him play it out and then would grade him, that game C+ all considered. As for the jackwagon who went there, I just can't believe some posters don't act on Jumbo's directives when offered, but instead run toward the cliff anyway. 

Is this a Shuler, Ferrotte, Green redo.    Griffin, Cousins, McCoy.   Think about it.  Who ended up being the best quarterback of the three.  Hmmmm.  Ironically the third quarterback.    Trent Green.   Who knows here. Colt right now plays the most consistent. 

In your analogy Cousins would be Green.  Green was the guy with big time potential.  Frerotte was the safe pick. 

I'd give him a C+ but only because of the failure to take advantage of the turnovers at the beginning.  Otherwise he'd be a solid B+ for the game.  I have to wonder how he would have looked though had he played the previous three games. After he settled down he showed good command of protections and I was amazed that he didn't get one delay of game call (that I remember).  Jay is spot on about showing more sense of urgency getting to the line and lined up properly.  He made some really nice reads.  You could see him working thru progressions and his eyes were fixed on the secondary.  He needs to peripheral the rush a little better so he doesn't get the sack fumbles. 

Sadly, it looked like he was the only one that really cared early on.  Everyone else seemed to be playing just well enough so they wouldn't suck on film.  Didn't see a lot of separation by any of the receivers.  Reed just has a big body.  They need a new receivers coach.  Two weeks in a row now commentators have picked up on what I've been seeing.  They do a lousy job of stemming their routes.  I think they trust their speed too much and just believe they'll out run the DB.  They'd be much better if they set up their routes.  That ended up with Colt having to take some chances and fit the ball in some tight windows.  Hell, one time Roberts coulda had a TD in the left corner if he was awake!  His man capped his route and what I really liked is that Colt put it right in front of the defender.  All Roberts had to do was box out and high point the ball.  Instead, the idiot awoke from his stupor and at least had the good sense to prevent the interception.

Really liked the Zone read looks from Colt.  Had a good drive going where they called it back to back then we had a terrible holding call on Trent; keep the hands inside big fella!  The protection from the backs is really lacking.  Helu does not want to pass pro.  He wants to get out in his route.  Alfred is more willing to do so. 

You can all call it a soft defense if you want but we didn't have the running game that we had last week.  The Colts played 8 men up a lot and if not for the one 20 yard run by Alfred his average would have been terrible.  Right around 3 yards or less.  Hell, had two cracks at the half yard line and we lost yardage!  So Colt was passing against a defense that has been built to rush the passer and play with a lead.  I coached Nathaniel Adibi who played some there and their motto is you spell sacks - $ack$.  Under Pagano they still have the same mindset.  Get a lead and kill the QB.  So given the fact that Colt was playing into the wind by going against the strength of their defense (their run defense was 'supposed' to be the weak point - opponents were averaging 4.5 yds per carry) and when he drove the team for TD's the game was not out of reach.  It was not garbage time and to say that identifies you as a hater.

Mostly, I liked how he was competitive all the way to the end.  He's a scrappy kid who is 'super-smart.'  Not saying he's a franchise QB but my opinion is that we've failed going that route so we should build an awesome defense (starting with 2 safeties), retool the O-ine, draft a TE that can block and run (Reed, Paul, and Paulson are either/or) then who knows?  He may not be 'The Guy' but he's a tough, smart guy who isn't afraid of the limelight, can battle thru some difficult possessions (unlike our other two young guys), and he has a really good handle of the offense.  Russell Wilson is not a prototype QB but Seattle won a Super Bowl with him.  Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Jim Plunkett, Jeff Hostetler, and even our Mark Rypien were not jaw-dropping, can't-miss QBs.  But they all have Super Bowl Rings. 

In your analogy Cousins would be Green. Green was the guy with big time potential. Frerotte was the safe pick.

Trent Green was out of football until Norv was talked into giving him a private workout and decided to sign as 3rd string. He was about as unlikely a big time QB as Kurt Warner.

I am giving Colt a B+ mainly because he did not turn the ball over and I thought he played well enough to win. 

Clearly 27 points beats a lot of teams in this league.  I don't care if he started hot or cold.  It is the overall effect.  

If our D had not, yet again, laid another hot steaming one out there it would have been interesting. 

I just watched the game. I was satisfied with his performance. I would be happy with him being our transitional QB until we can build an O line and defense. And who knows? He's still young and Gruden seems to like him. Maybe he can be more....

I will leave it like this. With Colt running the offense, we looked like an NFL offense at times. He put up 27 points should have been 30 or 34 if we kicked a FG on the goaline or punched it in. More than enough to win the game. Should we also point out it was his only 2nd start of the season?

Major down, for some reason with him in there, we start very slow while with Cousins is the opposite. We start fast and then fade.

I give him a B for his performance, but he lacks the intangibles of a true starting NFL QB. But, oh well, he distributed the ball to a lot of receivers which I think is a good trait. Although, the Colts D is suspect, he played pretty good on the road, which is a tough feat for any QB. Hopefully, he continues into Rams game, but lack of arm strength could effect him in weather. Who knows!

I will leave it like this. With Colt running the offense, we looked like an NFL offense at times. He put up 27 points should have been 30 or 34 if we kicked a FG on the goaline or punched it in. More than enough to win the game. Should we also point out it was his only 2nd start of the season?

Major down, for some reason with him in there, we start very slow while with Cousins is the opposite. We start fast and then fade.

No question about the slow starts.  Could be 50 reasons why. My opinion is that Gruden and McCoy are good in their "in-game" adjustments, but need to focus more on their pregame prep.   We all assume that they script the first 10 plays, but obviously they are not working on that in the right way.

Kinda hard to actually 'grade' him.

I view it as him being in a classroom; in 'welcome Back Cotter'.

A few good students, but for the most part its filled with dummies jokers and cut-ups. Kinda hard to learn in that environment.

But it the spirit of the thread, i'd give him a C+ to B-.

A number of good plays, 1 very good Houdini escape for TD, but still has alot of learning to do.

Actually this statement could be made for all 3; but the defensive teacher is trying to teach spanish with french textbooks.

He had a slow start but did better as the game progressed. Overall I'd give him a C. If he could've managed more than 3 points off of 3 turnovers, my grade would be a B. It will be interesting to see how he does against the Rams D. I'm thinking that the grade will fall but you never know. If he comes in prepared, moves the chains and the team takes advantage of what they're given, anything can happen.

Overall I give him an "I", for incomplete. I want to see him play it out and then would grade him, that game C+ all considered. As for the jackwagon who went there, I just can't believe some posters don't act on Jumbo's directives when offered, but instead run toward the cliff anyway. 

The guy posted one minute after Jumbo did. Most likely he never saw the warning.

We need a bigger sample size really.  He played a half before starting in the Brokeback Beat-down.  Then hadn't played in four weeks (counting the bye) before his next start.  And the difference between the game and practice is night and day.  I do like how he is able to adjust.  Which is H-U-G-E!  In the Army we always say it doesn't matter what the plan is the enemy gets a vote too.  You must be a good tactician to be able to read the battlefield properly and make the right adjustments. 

Only the best Coaches are both good Strategists and Tacticians.  Joe Gibbs, The Hoodie, Walsh, etc were good at both. Norv Turner for example is a very good strategist.  His teams come roaring out of the gate and then the defense figures him out and he struggles until he can go look at film.  Kyle is a better tactician than a strategist.  He can figure out what's going on and make good adjustments.  He did so with Schaub who really got what he wanted.  Unfortunately, he never had a QB here on the same page.  And I think that's the case with Colt and Jay.  Colt seems like he gets Jay.  You see them on the sideline talking after a series and you can tell there is two way communication going on. First thing I ask my QB after he comes off the field when he is struggling is what do you see?  You have to see the game thru their eyes because your view doesn't matter.  Find out what's going on in his mind.  If he can't tell you some idea of the coverage then he's most likely just seeing the rush and won't do you much good. 

The give and take with Colt and Jay can make up for the fact that he doesn't have a typical NFL type arm.

I give him a B/B-. Was tempted to give him a C given the 1st quarter, but I think that undervalues the strange feeling of hope he gave me that we had a chance to win it, which is truly remarkable given previous weeks, and how bad the 1st quarter was offensively.

McCoy’s 113.1 passer rating was the highest by a Redskins quarterback since Week 10 of the 2013 season. So, that's good right?

I think he looked calmer & more composed than he who shall not be named. On the other hand, I thought Cousins looked good till he turned into the great INT giver!

I agree he made mistakes, fumbles, missed throws, etc. But what I liked was his attitude. He seemed to beat himself up over missed opportunities, which made me think he believes he can & should do better, he didn't just drop his head. And, I like that passion, it's been severely lacking this season from a lot of players. We need a QB that can lead, and not just by his play, but by his character.

His miracle TD, yes it was luck in a way that they missed the sack, but give him some credit for escaping. And watch the apathy from the receivers who seemed to expect the play to end up dead. Perhaps a few more plays like this and the receivers might play on with the belief that the ball might yet come their way.

Given how bad the first quarter was, I think it shows resilience to come back like he did, bearing in mind the game could have been his one shot to make it. If he played appallingly we might have seen another QB in next week.

For me, the question I was left wondering, was what if he'd played all the games since the Dallas win? I mean, Tampa and Minnesota were there for the taking, SF was closer than expected so who knows there, and I think he'd have been ready to play and take advantage of the turnovers in the 1st quarter against Indy...and if we take the lead, we ground & pound & eat the clock..and don't bother to mark Fleener (but that's another story!)...

Best case scenario we'd be 7-5 right now, still behind two other teams...but only 2 games behind the leader, I'd still have hope for the playoffs, and we'd all be talking about and praying for another miracle season...

Archived