Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grade Colt McCoy

TimmySmith

C.  

good:  led some scoring drives, put up some points.  didn't look totally lost.  that play where he broke 3 tackles and completed the TD to Paulsen was easily the most impressive play of the season by any Redskin.  got Garçon and Reed involved, two very talented players that have sorta been squandered this year.  

bad:  he held the ball too long.  he wasn't very accurate - receivers made some GREAT grabs.  the bomb to jackson was ALL jackson - it was badly underthrown, and not on purpose.  the fades in the end zone had zero chance.  he made some bad decisions, coulda had a couple more INTs.  on third down he repeatedly threw way short of the first down marker.  when the game was still competitive, he was pretty ineffective.  also, he repeatedly failed to get the team to the line of scrimmage in time, particularly after big plays, resulting in several unnecessary timeouts and a delay of game penalty too.  red zone offense (when it was still a game) was absolutely atrocious, but that was more about the playcalling i suspect.

overall he looked no better than a decent backup QB (which unfortunately may be a step up).

With playcalling that goes from horrendous to pretty good at times then back to wtf on 4th downs and in the red zone in general I think Gruden makes it hard for any QB to do well in his offense.

Considering how TW played on top of that I'd give McCoy a B grade but thats without really seeing what he may have been missing downfield on a lot of plays. Too many 5 yard gains on 3rd and 8+ but Gruden's playcalling seems to leave us at 3rd and 6+ on more drives than any other team in the NFL no matter what QB is in the game.

I think he did okay, around a C+, considering that he had limited time to shake off the rust (the guy has only played in two meaningful games in the past few years, and has a grand total of two weeks, non-consecutive and spaced out by over a month, to work with the first team and get the timing down with that group. 

Like the Cowboys game, the first half was rocky, but he did come around at the end of the half and had a much better second half.  There were a couple of sacks that were on him for holding the ball too long, though I saw some of the most incredibly asinine blocks or non-blocks by the o-line that I have seen all season in this game.  Trent Williams got owned in this game, between the missed blocks and the penalties. 

Colt's accuracy waned throughout the game.  He had a couple of great throws that should have been caught that weren't and a couple of plays that looked like the receiver may have run a different route than Colt was expecting. Obviously, I'm not in a position to say whose mistake it was.

All in all, not too bad but not dropdead impressive either.  I do like his determination and no quit attitude though. Hopefully, he will come out quicker this week. 

One thing I will say as an aside, as it goes beyond just Colt's play.  The play calling this season has been horrible.  I've been saying that from day 1.  Something needs to change in that department, whether it's the plays or the caller.

I'd give him a D for the first half, and a B+ to A- for the second half.  A C overall.  

- Failed to really generate anything after the turnovers.

- Several poor throws.

- Held the ball too long on several occasions.

- Looked great in the second half. 

Hopefully being the #1 guy now for consecutive weeks, he'll get more preparation and be able put together a more complete and balanced game this week against the Rams.

B+

Things that were stacked against him: coming in with limited reps, no timing with the receivers in a WCO, Trent playing like he didn't want to be on the field, and some odd play calling.

Things he did well: didn't let a bad start get him down, started moving the offense well, made some pretty good throws under pressure and into tight spaces.

Things he did poorly: holding the ball too long, in the first half didn't anticipate the blitz well and hit check downs/audible/change protection, some very questionable throws, still doesn't use his legs and hips to really power into his throws which makes his lack of arm strength even worse.

So judging him with a slight curve due to lack of practice time, lack of repore with the receviers, poor o-line play, on the road, first start after RG3 getting benched (which I'm sure was a distraction for everyone) and considering the stats he put up (even though some of it was garbage) I'll go easy and give him the B+. I think this week, at home, against the Rams who are coming off of a huge win, will be a real barometer of what he can do. We should be able to grade him more accurately after that.

The reason this game was even as close as it was is because McCoy kept TRYING to keep us in it, but the defense was in such a hurry to get off the field, they just allowed long touchdowns.

I think he gets a c+. It was above average, but not great. He started off slow, but started to find a rhythm later on and began hitting receivers. Slow start was expected because again, he hasnt played in 4 weeks. Lets see how he does with another week as the #1 and continued reps. Hopefully he can shake the early game jitters.

The good- He kept us in the game and made plays when they needed to be made.

Gave the receivers a chance to make plays on the ball. Saw some very good YAC.

Tenacity. He got on himself hard for making bad throws and generally seemed to give a **** about the game.

That play he made when nearly getting sacked and turning it into a touchdown. My favorite part of this play was not that he escaped and made a play, but his situational awareness. He knew we needed a spark at this point. He knews throwing it out of bounds would have been looked at as the right play, but needed the spark and went for it. I love the intangible aspect of his game that showed.

Some bad. 5 fumbles. That simply cannot happen. We will not be fortunate to recover 4 of them next time. Some were due to line trouble, but still, need to hold onto the ball.

Slow start. 3 yards passing into the second quarter. Cant start that slow.

3 points off turnovers. Again, this goes into the slow start and i think, had they happened later in the game, they would have been turned into more points. None the less, that cannot happen. Need to turn those into points.

Fade routes. They were badly thrown.

6 sacks. Some were on him, most were on the line. A lot came early and I think had some due to jitters.

Overall, I am happy with his play, this late in the season, with a horrible defense and offensive line. He was not the reason we lost. In fact, he kept us in that game more than we deserved to be.

B -

He brought us back to within 4 points with 11 minutes to go in the 3rd Qtr.  He had no interceptions and the fumble was a missed blocking assignment where he immediately got crushed.

I like the fact that when nothing was going right on offense he was able to turn things around, on another day if the D had played a bit better who knows what the outcome could have been.

Overall, I was impressed. Very low expectations going in, even after the Dallas game.

He might be good enough to win with and a nice a fit for this scheme. I'm intrigued at least. His arm strength is going to be a problem, especially in the elements, but the game certainly isn't too fast for him. He was lights out better than RG3 when it comes to so much of the playing the position.

And I think a ton of his yards were legit. He was shredding the Colts for a good quarter or so. 

Grade of B- on the game. Stunk early, but never gave up, and put 27 points on the board, on the road.

Based on performance, with each QB playing 3-4 games, McCoy is clearly the best QB we have on the roster at this point.

With a better interior OL, he could actually be the perfect bridge QB for 2-3 years, to get us through to our next drafted franchise QB. If we can trade a #2 for Griffin and a #4 for Cousins, we can afford to draft a QB in the upcoming draft, and do the right thing by sitting him for a year or two to get him ready.

C

Was pathetic in the first half - he was on track for an F, but came out nicely in the second half with a B graded performance.  Overall I'd say he was about average.  Did enough to score a decent amount of points.  I dont expect him to ever be much better than he was on Sunday.  Hopefully he can get things going early in future games but that is about as good as he will get, IMO.  I will say one thing, I finally felt comfortable when our offense was on the field which i havent felt since Cousins vs Philly.  Nice to not dread postgame stories coming out after each loss. 

If he had gotten the same kind of start in the first 1/2 as he did in the second, The colts would have been playing catch up. May have even come out w/ a win....eirily similar to what I said about the Dallas Game. If he came out strong in the 1st 1/2 that game wasnt even close. I didnt get to watch the game. Had to live vicariously throught the game day thread. Did see the Sack after the morris missed block. That all happened so quick. Could not have been his fault unless he didnt have morris on the correct side for the snap. If any of the other sacks looked even remotely like that then you cant blame a guy for standing in the pocket hoping for the split second to get the ball out....Something to build on. Believe we will see marked improvement week to week. Doubt anyone beats him out in camp next year.

Bad first half. Could be expected considering this was only his second start. Better in the second. And it wasn't all just "garbage time". Had made it a game in the third quarter. Then the Defense happened. Was still fighting there for a while. 

C+

1st, Im an RGIII supporter.. But given what we've seen the last 3 weeks, I give Colt a solid B.. 1st half looked just like RGIII, then I noticed something I'd not seen yet, but had been hoping for.. Play-action-Roll outs. Quick Slant routes.. I think allowing Colt to run those plays let him settle in, hide the crummy blocking and got us some decent offense! Happy for him! Wish we were still letting Robert get those reps, since the season is toast, but since that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen, gotta pull for the guy in the game!

I hope they don't relax on how pitiful the line is though, since they still can't get off a snap or line up right most anytime we're in a scoring drive.. Oh, and obviously they can't protect the passer.. But other than that.. lol Fix the line, please!!

Didn't really get a first down until the 7 minute mark in the 2nd Qtr.

Say what you will about blown blocking assignments, or bad play calling on the 4th and Inches, but you CANNOT fumble and have it scooped to score in a game like this.

Otherwise He did okay, Team seemed lethargic and defense didn't stop a runny nose.

C+

C+

He did a decent job the second half after looking lost in the first. But garbage yards against a weak soft defense looks nice on the stat line but hardly is meaningful. The dude is a journeyman backup with limited ceiling. Why we are wasting the last 4 games on him is organizationally moronic.

I think McCoy starts slow because he is being overly cautious, trying to protect the ball at first, as this is probably what Gruden is drilling into his head. He gets more aggressive as the game goes on, when he starts to figure out what the defense is doing. We all would probably like to see him come out firing on all cylinders at the start, but we need to remember that he is still learning this system too. I also like that he protects the ball.

I'm giving him a B+ at this point because he is an efficient game manager. And considering the poor play of the line, he still had a QB rating of 113. This alone speaks volumes. And I think he will only get better as he grows and matures in this system.

B. And I'd also like to throw in that I hope to see him have a legitimate chance to start next year based on what we've seen.

He's not perfect. His accuracy is questionable at times. He doesn't have a big arm. He throws some head scratchers sometimes. 

He seems to get the yards he needs more often than other Redskins quarterbacks I've seen over the years. It's been too often of an occurrence to see a 3rd and 10 and a throw to the check down for a 6 or 7 yard gain and punt. Colt seems to understand the situation a bit better and seems to be more determined to get what we need. I see the chains moving more with Colt than we have with any other QB in recent memory. The game stays interesting. 

I don't like to throw things off on the OL, mostly because it seems that fans of every team in the NFL say they have a lousy OL. Your QB needs to call the right protections and have pocket awareness. I'm aware that can only get you so far when guys are literally running free without being touched, and that obviously needs to be fixed. I feel like the OL has looked better under McCoy.

The deep passes are off, but we have good WRs that can adjust. 

McCoy is mobile enough to threaten, but smart enough to know he needs to rely on his arm.

I am 100% behind the sentiment from another thread that you don't need godlike QB play to win games. Colt won't give you that. But I believe he is capable of Kaepernick type play, based on what we've seen. 

With a decent defense, he will win games with the gameplay we're seeing. 

I give him a C average: D- for the first half and B+ for the second.

Probably not enough of a data sample this season to make a sound judgment, but he looks like a guy who could be serviceable on a team built around strong defense and a power offense. That's the direction I'd like to see the Skins go, if Snyder and his minions would ever be willing to commit to "dull but effective."

In the alternative, I think he could be serviceable enough while the Skins use the draft to rebuild both lines and the secondary instead of drafting flashy skill players. Ahh, a man can dream... :lol:

Archived