Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The biking thread....

mcsluggo

Every time this thread gets bumped, I read it initially as "The Bikini Thread"

Then I realize my astigmatism is kicking my butt and then sigh.

LOL

Just picked up a free bike off a buddy so I'll start logging miles.

Can't wait to get it fixed up.

• Like 1

Every time this thread gets bumped, I read it initially as "The Bikini Thread"

Then I realize my astigmatism is kicking my butt and then sigh.

LOL

I was going to report my self ownage yesterday for that very same reason.

It's not an astigmatism. It's hope.

• Like 1

I got a gopro mount for my bike to act as a dash cam in case some asshole doors me again. If I get a cool looking run, I'll be sure to post it here. I picked up two more bikes recently, I've been riding around a old school Schwinn prelude, it's a really nice bicycle, but still not enough to sway me away from fixed gears. 

Edited by Sikbug

i didnt realize that today was national "bike to work" day... until i was on the trail, and it was like playing a game of frogger :)

this was the first time i stopped at one of their "friendship stations" on the way in.    I got a day-glo orange tee, a water bottle, some bike maps, and a cup o' coffee.    There was another table with more stuff--- but they had people that you had to talk to about fitness to get the swag.

Okay, looking for opinions.  For quick background, I attempted to ride a bike again (and damn near killed myself) for the first time in 15-20 years a few months ago.  My father gave me his old beater from god knows when.  It didn't last long, and it's so old that getting it fixed would probably cost more than it is worth.

Craigslist search gave me the following:  http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/sss?excats=5-64-4-20-1-1-12-15-19-1-18-3-8-5-1-2-7-11-1&sort=priceasc&query=bicycle+woodbridge

I don't know a think about bikes, don't know brands, styles, or features.  I just want to know if any of these jump out as a particularly good bargain to any of you who know more than I do.  Spare me the recommendations on the kids bikes, I sorted low-high.  For the time being, I'd just be riding around neighborhoods, trying to re-learn to ride without causing myself physical harm, though eventually, I'd like to try commuting to work.

Thanks

Okay, looking for opinions.  For quick background, I attempted to ride a bike again (and damn near killed myself) for the first time in 15-20 years a few months ago.  My father gave me his old beater from god knows when.  It didn't last long, and it's so old that getting it fixed would probably cost more than it is worth.

Craigslist search gave me the following:  http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/sss?excats=5-64-4-20-1-1-12-15-19-1-18-3-8-5-1-2-7-11-1&sort=priceasc&query=bicycle+woodbridge

I don't know a think about bikes, don't know brands, styles, or features.  I just want to know if any of these jump out as a particularly good bargain to any of you who know more than I do.  Spare me the recommendations on the kids bikes, I sorted low-high.  For the time being, I'd just be riding around neighborhoods, trying to re-learn to ride without causing myself physical harm, though eventually, I'd like to try commuting to work.

Thanks

Without reading through the full list, I'd say you should just go to a bike store and talk to a salesperson. Ask to try a few different types of bikes: commuter, hybrid, mountain bike, three-speed/upright/coaster brake, etc. Then don't buy a new one. Find a used one that's in the style of what you found most comfortable or fun to ride. Make it cheap - this isn't going to be your forever bike!

Ride it into the ground. If you ride it long enough to wear it down, you're ready for a new bike. If not, you didn't waste a lot of money.

On another note, I got this bike about 2 months ago and can't recommend it enough:

IMG_7311.jpg

I use it as a street bike, but it's still an amazing ride, and great fun. I get a lot of comments too, and it makes people smile.

Biking is fun, and it's a great way to commute - no parking hassles, easy to run errands, and some exercise.

• Like 1

What MassSkinsFan said. Plus, write down the sizes of the different bikes you felt comfortable on. The yellow Cannondale on your Craigslist is 63cm, that's a tall road bike for some one around 6'4"ish. A lot of you local bike shops will have selection of used bikes as well.

MassSkinsFan, sweet ride. I'm looking at pulling the trigger on one of those...if the wife approves...

How long is your commute going to be and what type of terrain? Are you comfortable on a road bike or do you prefer to be more upright?

After I've moved, it would be between 11-13 miles one way, almost all of it on paved trails.  I have no idea as to your second question, as I said, it's been 15-20 years.

Without reading through the full list, I'd say you should just go to a bike store and talk to a salesperson. Ask to try a few different types of bikes: commuter, hybrid, mountain bike, three-speed/upright/coaster brake, etc. Then don't buy a new one. Find a used one that's in the style of what you found most comfortable or fun to ride. Make it cheap - this isn't going to be your forever bike!

Ride it into the ground. If you ride it long enough to wear it down, you're ready for a new bike. If not, you didn't waste a lot of money.

Figured I'd quote this along with the second part of SilverMac's post.  The bike I had growing up was a Diamondback, and I rode that thing into the ground.  Streets, sidewalks, through the woods, over roots, etc.  By the time it was over, I could pedal and not move, I had worn out the mechanism that much, the pedals wouldn't turn the tires anymore.  The bike I attempted to inherit from my father was a Giant brand.

In the brief time I rode it and survived, I learned that I need a wide seat, the seat on that bike was narrow and got uncomfortable quickly.  It was also a very tall bike, which was odd since he and I are the same height.  I hated shifting gears, I never did on my Diamondback (I think it only had three anyway) and on my father's old bike, shifting gears sounded like the bike was falling apart, though I could clearly tell the difference when I did so.  Another fun fact, I don't think the brakes were aligned properly, when I would brake, it would make this high pitched squeal which got all the neighborhood dogs barking.

I think I've always ridden upright, straight handlebars, etc.  If by road bike (guessing here) you mean hunched over and going 20 MPH, no that isn't something I've ever done.

MassSkinsFan, sweet ride. I'm looking at pulling the trigger on one of those...if the wife approves...

Good luck Yohan - they are worth the cost. This one is the "cheap" model, at $1500. I'm lucky in that my wife and I set up our finances so we each have our own checking in addition to joint checking and savings, so if you can afford it, it's yours! It didn't hurt that I took her with me to the bike shop when I was looking, and she saw how much fun I had on my test ride. ;-)

After I've moved, it would be between 11-13 miles one way, almost all of it on paved trails.  I have no idea as to your second question, as I said, it's been 15-20 years.

Figured I'd quote this along with the second part of SilverMac's post.  The bike I had growing up was a Diamondback, and I rode that thing into the ground.  Streets, sidewalks, through the woods, over roots, etc.  By the time it was over, I could pedal and not move, I had worn out the mechanism that much, the pedals wouldn't turn the tires anymore.  The bike I attempted to inherit from my father was a Giant brand.

In the brief time I rode it and survived, I learned that I need a wide seat, the seat on that bike was narrow and got uncomfortable quickly.  It was also a very tall bike, which was odd since he and I are the same height.  I hated shifting gears, I never did on my Diamondback (I think it only had three anyway) and on my father's old bike, shifting gears sounded like the bike was falling apart, though I could clearly tell the difference when I did so.  Another fun fact, I don't think the brakes were aligned properly, when I would brake, it would make this high pitched squeal which got all the neighborhood dogs barking.

I think I've always ridden upright, straight handlebars, etc.  If by road bike (guessing here) you mean hunched over and going 20 MPH, no that isn't something I've ever done.

If those trails aren't too hilly you might want to check out a single-speed commuter hybrid. I have one and it's great except for the giant hill I live on. Luckily I have ways to "wind" up the hill without having to do one major power climb. That bike's in the basement for now though. I'm getting used to the gears on my fat bike, but it's OK since the rest of it is so much fun.

If you hate gears the options are the single-speed (it coasts, and has hand brakes), a single-speed coaster brake (uses your feet to brake) or a fixed-gear. All three are fun, but be careful with the fixed gear. They do not have a freewheel mechanism in the drive train, which means your feet are always moving since you can't coast. This has pros and cons. On the one hand it takes a lot of getting used to, but it also lets you get a quick push easily since your legs are always spinning. Braking is a whole different issue, since these typically have one set of brakes on the front tire only. Most people eventually learn how to either lock up and skid the rear tire, or use the front brake while leaning back. There aren't a lot of gears and there's no freewheel, so maintenance is much simpler. These bikes are basically sports cars - responsive, quick, sleek and fun. But, they can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Bottom line is to have fun right? I hope you find a bike soon and get one of these:

fun_legs.jpg

Forehead... from your new house, you'll have a choice of taking the W&OD/Custis trail (that goes next to I-66), or the C&O canal/capital  crescent (going across chain bridge, and then hugging the river on the DC side).  Both are great routes!  

you are REALLY going to want to use/be comfortable with gears on either of those routes... they are both very hilly on the VA side.   I bike regularly now... and i still have a real struggle on my way home making it up the hill that is right across from chain bridge in Arlington, it is a butt thumper    :)      it is do-able when i am on a mountain bike in a really really low gear... but I usually ride a 30 year old road bike, that has 2 front rings, (rather thant the three that a mountain bike has), and it doesn;t have a low enough gear, so i can barely make it.   Also, on that route, you are on the gravel/dirt C&O canal for about 1.5 miles.. which is really tough on skinny road bike tires.  

i replaced the 1" road bike tires with something slightly fatter, and bought ridiculously expensive, and very durable, tires.  It was totally worth it!  i used to get flats all the time, but didn't get a single flat all of last year.   (but i DID get 2 flats in 24 hours 2 weeks ago :( )

• Like 1

What's the benefit of the fat tire bikes?

I want one because they look cool, but I don't know if they will work with my 300+ big bubba-ness.

I miss my Kona Cinder Cone - someone stole it.  :angry:

I'm not quite up to your size, but I'm not that far off either...

My take on the fat bike I have is this:

• It gets a lot of attention, which means you've got to secure it well
  • It's a mountain bike, and I loved my old Peugeot Pipeline 6 mountain bike (6-speed, really sturdy frame).
  • It floats over the ground - it makes riding through gravel and other bumpy/lumpy surfaces easy
  • It climbs well
  • It sounds cool - those tires are really nubby and they whirr when you get going!
  • If you get the right one (like mine) it's light; the frame is light weight and the wheel design reduces weight too (see the cutouts on the rims)
  • They are more expensive than comparably equipped mountain bikes (paying for the fad)
  • It grips well with the right tires
  • It goes almost anywhere - the woods, trails, the beach, snow; I got mine because I want to ride in the heavy snow and my road bike can't do that
  • It looks cool
  • It's sturdy
  • It's fun to ride - this is my #1 positive: I love the bike!

Basically it's a mountain bike on steroids that affect its tires.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input all. Looks like I'll have to wander into one of the local shops at some point.

That's really going to be the best way to start if for no other reason than to find out what size bike you need and to try out the different styles.

It sounds like a road bike might not be the best way to go if you have a gravel stretch you have to travel through but if you go to a shop give one or two a try anyway cause you never know, you may fall in love with them and decide that's the style you want.

Once you have that info come back here and the people in this thread can give a more intelligent/informed answer on what seems like a good deal. And be wary of salesmen trying to sell you "last years model deal" unless the bike is a good fit and and fits what you want to do on a bike.

Here's an article about the different types: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/beginners/gear/article/what-type-of-bike-should-i-buy-39627/

Edited by MrSilverMaC
  • Like 2

i bike on the "gravel stretch" of the C&O often, and i am on an old road bike .... but i don;t have the skiny road bike tires anymore, i have slightly fatter gatorskin (i think they are "hardshell?") tires, that cost about $100 each in DC bike stores.   I used to get flats ALLTHETIME, and almost never get them now... 

.. and it is nice to have a road bike on that route.. as soon you get off the gravel, you have 4 or 5 miles of flat/straight rail-trail, where it feels great to just burn as fast as you can :)

-----

edit... i should qualify that statement:  my bike was called a road bike in 1989, i am not sure what it would be called now! ;)

(not my bike... but the exact same)

IMG_9875.jpg

Edited by mcsluggo

i bike on the "gravel stretch" of the C&O often, and i am on an old road bike .... but i don;t have the skiny road bike tires anymore, i have slightly fatter gatorskin (i think they are "hardshell?") tires, that cost about $100 each in DC bike stores.   I used to get flats ALLTHETIME, and almost never get them now... 

.. and it is nice to have a road bike on that route.. as soon you get off the gravel, you have 4 or 5 miles of flat/straight rail-trail, where it feels great to just burn as fast as you can :)

-----

edit... i should qualify that statement:  my bike was called a road bike in 1989, i am not sure what it would be called now! ;)

(not my bike... but the exact same)

Oh yeah, you can modify them so that they handle it better for sure. Similar to switching to slicks on a mountain bike for road riding. I have seen models from Giant and Trek that have the road bike geometry but more hybrid-like tires to handle modest off-roading but without changing tires a road bike probably isn't Forehead's best option.

Also your bike is a beautiful classic steel frame. It probably handles the bumps and other things better than the aluminum frames you find on current road bikes.

Edited by MrSilverMaC