Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014/2015 Winter Weather Thread

China

less than an inch is interesting? really? compared to what buffalo got, less than an inch is nothing

Who said anything about less than an inch? Storm is too far out to make that call. Besides, it looks like more than an inch at this point. In November, that's interesting. We aren't Buffalo, they are a lot more north than us, and next to a huge lake, they're supposed to get way more snow than us.

Who said anything about less than an inch? Storm is too far out to make that call. Besides, it looks like more than an inch at this point. In November, that's interesting. We aren't in Buffalo.

weather.com shows 90% chance of snow, and <1 inch of snow, so thats all i'm really basing my post off of. what did you see for wednesdays possible snow storm? interested to know any other info.

Weather.com? You Jabroni. The storm is a nor'easter (the storms we get our blizzards from). If it comes inland more we could get close to a foot. It's shown hugging the coast from the GFS models and the Euro model, giving the DC area a healthy swipe. The Canadian model has it going out to sea a lot more. Most weather heads think the Canadian will adjust itself in more of an agreement with the latter two.

Less than an inch would be really surprising. Wednesday is going to be cold as heck. It will get above freezing in the afternoon, which could slow accumulation and even change it to rain, but morning snow should get the accumulation started, which is key. Warm ground to start with would delay snow sticking.

Last I heard, it was a morning/afternoon event, but that coulda changed.

Yeah, for any potential accumulations it probably doesn't help that today is going to hit close to 70 keeping temps above freezing to Wednesday.  Snow on Wednesday would screw up all too many travel plans and roads.  Would make the first responders stuck as well.

I'm normally a snow fan and a foot sounds great but in this case, I'd like to see a couple inches just to blanket the ground and not much else.

Yeah, for any potential accumulations it probably doesn't help that today is going to hit close to 70 keeping temps above freezing to Wednesday.  Snow on Wednesday would screw up all too many travel plans and roads.  Would make the first responders stuck as well.

I'm normally a snow fan and a foot sounds great but in this case, I'd like to see a couple inches just to blanket the ground and not much else.

Oh yeah, I don't want an I-95 ****storm on one of the biggest travel days of the year.  I just want the school systems to freak out on the chance it might snow.

Never, AND I MEAN EVER! Listen to what the weather channel puts out. Especially their online forecasts. They lag way behind current data, like days behind.

As of right now though, I'm thinking its not going to be major for DC. It's way early in the season. Been a LONG time time since we had a major November snow.

So what are we thinking for Wednesday? Leaving Wednesday afternoon and driving to Florida.

As of right now it looks like rain in the AM to snow in the PM.

Some models give DC 6 inches or so after the switch. Ground temps and rain during the day will probably hold those totals down even further.

Storm track will have a lot to do with it as well. If it tracks further east, we get less total precipitation (both rain and snow). If it tracks further west, we get more rain (because the temps can drop low enough to support snow locally).

A lot needs to go right for this thing to hit us real hard.

The temps for Wednesday look really weird. It looks like cold air wants to settle in to place. Our high might be in the wee hours of the morning, and it will get colder from there. Not super cold though, just in the low to mid 30s. Weird. Tough call at this point, but I'm thinking your drive to Florida will be a pain until you drive past the bottom of the storm. Rain/snow line may help you considerably.

I get the sense that this storm is no joke, but like Springy said, it's really hard to buy in to a November storm locking in. I'm almost there though. The sheer pace as which it will be coming down could cool off the surfaces fast.

In the back of my mind I'm worried about how much will be rain (or even worse a mix). Being north and west of town will help me in that regard. Which reminds me, where is my buddy Mark the Homer? He likes his snow and is a few clicks north of me.

weather.com shows 90% chance of snow, and <1 inch of snow, so thats all i'm really basing my post off of. what did you see for wednesdays possible snow storm? interested to know any other info.

Better sources out there than weather.com...that website is awful.  Do yourself a favor and start reading up on AWX.  Enjoy the ride.

Yeah, you'll be going south as the storm heads northeast. The direction you're going and the rain/snow line should help you a lot, but the beginning of your trip could be dangerous.

Yeah I figured the beginning of the trip would be rough to start. Definitely keeping a close eye on this thing.

People will want to tune in to the 0z runs tonight. This thread will be updated by the weather heads here. It's looking like a strong storm, hugging the coast, with a rain/snow line battle taking place around I-95. Areas west/northwest will get a less-direct hit, but will be colder, thus giving you quicker accumulations. Popeman, prepare yourself for 6"-12" of snow. DC area, it's going to come down to zero hour, as it does a lot of the time. DC itself is sometimes split in half with the rain/snow line. It will be snowing in NW and raining in SE. The air temps, ground temps, and eastern track of the storm makes for a tough call. Right now I am preparing for several inches of snow in Montgomery County. That doesn't include a gallon of milk and canned food, psychos.

Archived