Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Tom Brady Leaving New England?" Thread

TheGoodBits

Inspired by this report: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/11646779/tension-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-impact-quarterback-future-team

Let's say he pulls a Peyton and plays the last 2-3 years of his career elsewhere... What's your short list of teams that would have mutual interest?

I've got, in order:

San Francisco

Cincinnati

Arizona

That's my top 3. Dallas would be on there if it wasn't for their cap situation and Romo's contract. My impression of the Dalton and Kaep contracts is it would be very easy to eat those with minimal cap hits.

Other wild cards... Seattle (Wilson is more of a game manager IMO, not a key reason for their success). Washington. You want playmakers? We got playmakers. Unfortunately also no O Line, sorry Tom. Philadelphia... Chip probably wants a mobile QB for his system but who knows. He can win with Foles but I don't see them making playoff noise with him.

Another team I just considered is Houston. They'd have to add a few more playmakers to really get Brady interested, but the Bill O'Brien connection is intriguing. They can also definitely have success in that division. I'd probably bump them up into the top 4 somewhere.

If he went to San Fran it would be fun watching him destroy the Seahawks. There is no question in my mind that he'd smash his way through the regular season with that running game, talent at receiver, and defense. Home field throughout the playoffs would be almost certain.

They'd be a better version of the Broncos. One that would obliterate the house of boom.

Good point on the fact that the Pats won't cut him. They'll probably trade him if necessary. Which of course could lead to some interesting situations should their prospective trade partners not suit Brady. He could strong arm that with threats of retirement so he could end up somewhere that he wants to play.

Re: Cincy and SF, I'm not so sure they feel like they've got long term solutions at QB. IIRC, both Dalton and Kaep ended up with very team friendly contracts. Wouldn't rule either of those out.

Think of all the guys the Pats have let walk during the Belichick era. There are tons of them. I predict Brady will be handled a little differently, but in the end the new guy Garroppolo (sp?) is looking like the answer at QB. It's only a matter of time before Tom Lady retires or goes elsewhere. Maybe SF - he's from San Mateo and grew up a Niners fan.

Think of all the guys the Pats have let walk during the Belichick era. There are tons of them. I predict Brady will be handled a little differently, but in the end the new guy Garroppolo (sp?) is looking like the answer at QB. It's only a matter of time before Tom Lady retires or goes elsewhere. Maybe SF - he's from San Mateo and grew up a Niners fan.

I have to respectfully disagree on Garroppolo. Belichek loves to pretend his backup QBs are good when they are nothing but hot garbage..  He has no idea what he has with Tom Brady because of that big ole arrogant head of his.  Matt Cassel, Ryan Mallet, and now Jimmy G.  

If the Pats get rid of Tom, I am really anxious to see what happens.  Is Bill going to continue to roll with his Elite 1/2 punch of Kenbrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson?  I feel bad for Tom, and can't even fathom what's going on in Billy B's head to completely neglect the WR position year after year as Tom grows older when in fact they have cap money.  The only thing on the Pats side is the fact that the division continues to stink year after year besides the 2 Jet AFCCGs.

I have to respectfully disagree on Garroppolo. Belichek loves to pretend his backup QBs are good when they are nothing but hot garbage..  He has no idea what he has with Tom Brady because of that big ole arrogant head of his.  Matt Cassel, Ryan Mallet, and now Jimmy G.  

I'm not saying Jimmy is a great QB, but in the system run in NE he can and probably will do fine. This is why Cassel and Mallett appeared to be such hot prospects - Lady could go down and someone else could step right in an function well enough.

Same thing happened when Bledsoe went down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Seemed pretty stupid then too :)

Haha maybe a tad. Was never anything more than a hypothetical based on the Espn article that suggested that the Pats might be ready to move on from Brady, but yeah... They came a LONG way this season after a rough start. Heck of a turnaround.

Archived