Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Number one Defense through first 2 weeks

clskinsfan

As far as I'm concerned, our D has given up 6 pts. so far. The blocked punt that went for a TD in week 1 obviously is not on the D and a Rambo gaff in games 1 & 2 that resulted in long TD's is not something I'm going to pin on our D as a whole.

Yeah well since Rambo was on the D you unfortunately gotta count it.

With the way the interior of the line has been getting constant pressure up the middle, i'm more confident in the linebackers being able to sit back and sniff out screens and draws all day. 

It's amazing how much of a difference a disruptive D-line can be when in the 3-4

With the way the interior of the line has been getting constant pressure up the middle, i'm more confident in the linebackers being able to sit back and sniff out screens and draws all day.

Yeah, they're gonna have to be fast, sure, and smart.

Fortunately, I think they've looked smart, so far. 

Their comment on the Skins is a bit baffling:

"It's rare that a team has a better shot of winning when the backup quarterback comes in.

Rare ? Foles did it last year and took Vicks Job away from him .  So its really not rare a backup comes in and tears it up . This week will tell you everything you need to know . Playing the worst team last year and losing then playing a team not much better and winning .  I wish RG3 was playing  because KC gives you guys a chance atleast.

Anyone want to venture a guess what defensive schemes Haslett has been calling?

After seeing Rak so much in week 1 lined up opposite a WR, I feel like he changed his approach in week 2.

Paging Car All 22, hook us up please. 

We need to foil Foles early, just like we did in 2012. Knock him down, blitz, get after him. And don't let him get the ball to Sproles. If he does, i want Keenan ALL over him. 

My three MAIN reasons why this is the case:

1. Jason Hatcher - generating pressure up the middle, not allowing QB's to step up = Sacks for Rak/Kerrigan. Impact from him is HUGE and its showing.

2. Ryan Clark - His presence in the secondary alone improved that unit. You haven't seen his name called much, but he is sound in coverage and lines everyone up properly, not to mention he is an excellent tackler. Very underrated acquisition IMO.

3. The emergence of David Amerson. This I feel is underlooked, but a reason why i feel this defense is improved. He is improving his technique and coverage and it has shown, and a feel like a good chunk of Sunday's 10 sacks were because of excellent coverage, hence the term "coverage sack". Having two capable corners in Hall and Amerson make it much harder for QBs to pull the trigger on time, especially with the rush we are now generating.

I honestly feel Amerson is going to eventually take over the #1 spot for Hall when he decides to hang up the cleats, and we might have a perennial pro bowler in our hands.

He has the physical skillset; 6'1 height with 4.4 speed and great hands. I was just waiting for the head to catch up with his body. I think we are finally seeing that come into fruition.

Keenan Robinson's making tackles Fletcher missed.  Amerson's a competent starter and improving.  Riley is playing with discipline.  Baker, Baker, NT maker.  There are a bunch of reasons why this D is much better than last year.

Don't forget Cofield

If Kerrigan stays healthy this year, I predict a 15 sack season for him. It's insane to see him run from one end of the field, track the QB down and get the sack. Just brilliant.

I don't know about easy but Stanford seemed to figure out a way to beat Chip Kelly when he was at Oregon (there are websites that show how they did it). I hope they are picking the mind of Trent Murphy to find out what to do. They beat Kelly once and his replacement once.

They are beating people because of the talent at RB... LeSean McCoy and the midget Sproles.  

By the time you get exhausted chasing dem slippery RBs they start getting elusive and getting to the end zone in the second half.  

That being said, I like our new crop of LBs... we can move side to side and have a monster in Hatcher that can get penetration up the middle.

Courtesy Breaking News: 

ESPN: Under review: Redskins' pass rush

Yes, Jason Hatcher has an impact on the pass rush. It didn't happen on every one, but it certainly showed on a number of the Washington Redskins' 10 sacks. There were a few other ways to explain their success Sunday: rush design; game situations; winning one-on-one battles and a bad offensive line.

This was not a case of a quarterback holding the ball too long. Also, Chad Henne was not only sacked a lot, but he was hit 18 times. Finally, of the Redskins' 10 sacks, four occurred on third and 9 or longer.

Anyway, here's the anatomy of a 10-sack day:

Keim does a couple of sentence writeup of all 10 sacks.  (Woulda been nicer with pictures, or video.) 

They are beating people because of the talent at RB... LeSean McCoy and the midget Sproles.  

By the time you get exhausted chasing dem slippery RBs they start getting elusive and getting to the end zone in the second half.  

That being said, I like our new crop of LBs... we can move side to side and have a monster in Hatcher that can get penetration up the middle.

It's more than that though. Mccoy and Sproles set up blocks as well as any backs in the league. They are just dangerous. Indy ran the ball down Philly's throat last night. I hope Gruden watched that game last night and doesnt decide to be all pass happy this week.

Courtesy Breaking News: 

ESPN: Under review: Redskins' pass rush

Keim does a couple of sentence writeup of all 10 sacks.  (Woulda been nicer with pictures, or video.) 

This article has GIFs of all 10 sacks. Analyzed from the other side, obviously, but still fun to watch :)

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/9/15/6152073/jaguars-offensive-line-10-sacks-breakdown

It's more than that though. Mccoy and Sproles set up blocks as well as any backs in the league. They are just dangerous. Indy ran the ball down Philly's throat last night. I hope Gruden watched that game last night and doesnt decide to be all pass happy this week.

Yeah, that was pretty much the only thing about the MNF game that I liked.  (I only watched the first half).  Indy's success running the ball. 

And I figure that our defense hopes we run the ball often, and well, too.  Cause they're gonna need a lot of breaks, or things could get ugly. 

The bad news that one of my little voices is telling me, though, is that if I'm the Philly DC, I go all in to stop the Redskins run.  Because I know the Skins are going to try to do it a lot.  And because I'm more worried about AlMo than I am about Captain kirk. 

This defense has been really impressive so far.

So why do I feel like McCoy goes for 100+, Sproles goes for 100+, and Foles throws for 400+?

And we give up a P/K return.

And we don't run the ball.

I hope I'm wrong, but this feels like one of those games.  Those guys are so fast...

Most of us realized this last year but everyone will realize it this year that the number one biggest reason we couldn't keep up with them on defense was Fletcher manning the MLB position.  With Keenan in the lineup, you're going to see quicker reaction times to the ball, better coverage of the RBs/TEs, better tackling, and I hope more of an understanding of the Eagles offense.

After all London's last year was Chip Kelly and the new Eagles offense first year... so that probably explains why we saw what we saw last year when we played each other.

I wonder what past stats say about a start like this ... 

e.g. I just saw that only 6 teams have made the playoffs after starting 0-2

I wonder, how many teams finished in, let's say the top 10 in defense after starting the season 1 overall the first two weeks. 

Well, I don't expect us to stay #1 all year, but I know this defense can be too 10.

We get Merriweather back this week. That will make Clark's job easier and provide moe depth at safety.

We get Cofield back eventually.

Philly uses their TEs and RBs a lot in the passing game. Replacing a slow Fletcher with a faster Robinson will help.

I still think McCoy is the guy you shutdown and take your chances on Foles. Pressure will be the key in this game (captain obvious).

You guys keep forgetting the Thursday game against the Giants in between Philly and Seattle.

This defense has been really impressive so far.

So why do I feel like McCoy goes for 100+, Sproles goes for 100+, and Foles throws for 400+?

And we give up a P/K return.

And we don't run the ball.

I hope I'm wrong, but this feels like one of those games.  Those guys are so fast...

I really REALLY hope you are wrong ! lol.

I'm still trying to get up off the floor from the defense's performance last sunday.

But, what if;

Morris goes for 150, Helu goes for 100

we run a punt back for a TD

Cousins throws for 350 & 4 TDs

the defense **** slaps Philly all day.

It is possible.  I just hope the hype hasn't gotten to their heads; i'd love to see them, hec, the entire team, go out there and treat it like a business deal. Get a sack, high 5 and back in the huddle, etc, but hoping they don't make a play or 2 and act as if they won the SB, maybe play with a chip on their shoulder.

Discipline will be the determining factor; if they stick with their game plan, do their respective jobs on the field, and stay away from penalties, I think they can still be a top 5 defense after this week.

We all have seen how refs are calling fouls on DBs for breathing on a WR, so it will be a bit of a challenge. But their biggest weapon wears B&G now, and i'm sure he has some insight on their offense that will be useful.

Way too early to have any real-world use out of team defense or offense statistics. 90% is who we played.

That said, lots of things that look to be improved overall. The inside pass-rush and penetration looks much better, and Hatcher, Baker, and co seem to be a huge help up front.

If they can keep pressure most of the year it can disguise our lack of depth in the secondary. 

I'm cautiously optimistic that we will be average on team defense this year. Middle of the pack is ok with me 1 year after being one of the worst.

The Eagles are first in points and yards . So this game really should be a good test for you guys .  Its also the first good team you guys play so I understand be optimistic but delusion with some makes the game all more fun .

Regardless of the record last year Houston is a good team. Last year was a fluke for them because of injury and whatever Schaub was going through that lead to him ending up in Oakland and then losing the starting job to a rookie. Also they managed to put up 30 points last week.

I don't know about easy but Stanford seemed to figure out a way to beat Chip Kelly when he was at Oregon (there are websites that show how they did it). I hope they are picking the mind of Trent Murphy to find out what to do. They beat Kelly once and his replacement once.

Agreed, but don't forget, we picked their pocket and got Desean Jackson. He knows their system inside and out. This will probably force them to change things up a bit.

I think the key will be to stuff them and get our defense off the field. As many three and outs as possible.

It's a rare story line, our top rated D going against a top rated O

Here to hoping the next day story line also includes: our O crushing their D.

Their offense is going to do some damage. Sproles is a major pain in the ass, so is McCoy of course. I am curious what the plan is to contain those 2 in the passing game.

Archived