Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Number one Defense through first 2 weeks

clskinsfan

A cookie for the defense:

cookie.gif

In all seriousness, the defensive improvement at all levels (except for one guy, who's already gone) is undeniable. This defense has a chance to be very, very good this year. However, as both Clark and Hatcher have said (indirectly) let's not crown them just yet. Let's see how they look after Week 8 and beyond.

Oh, now you went and did it.

A BIG chocolate chip cookie, and you know GHH is really the cookie monster in disguise. :P

It is ironic, but at this juncture last year, we were on pace to become the record setting WORST defense in history.

Still, for as long as it lasts, i'll take 1st place !

Great reading. 

It seems to me the Redskins "interviewed" the Stanford coach. I could be mistaken. Maybe the "interview" was to pick his brain. We can only hope!

Not surprised.

Before the season I was talking here about how the pass rushers were making me salivate. Kerrigan, Orakpo. Murphy, and Hatcher combined last season for 55.5 sacks which is better then any other teams top 4 pass rushers. This is a passing league today, if they can rush the passer then the Defense will be greatly improved. So far so good.

Now the competition sure makes a huge difference as well. Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chad Henne are awful. The next couple of weeks we got 

Nick Foles
Russell Wilson    

Then it gets real interesting....

Cardinals - Who is behind center this game?
Titans - Same question because Locker doesn't stay healthy could be Charlie Whitehurst
Cowboys - If Romo's back gives out then this could be Brandon Weeden they are against
Vikings - Who is behind center this game? It could be Teddy Bridgewater because Cassell is awful
Buccaneers - This could be Mike Glennon because Josh McCown is badddddd

In other words the high ranking I think will continue!!

I'm waiting to see how the team does against a mobile QB before passing judgement. 

A valid point.  Foles can buy time with his feet. 

(I will also point out that Philly has just a slightly better run game than the Jags did.) 

However, many of the sacks we got last week, we just plain collapsed the whole pocket.  Not a lot of places for a mobile QB to run to

Although I would expect to see a whole lot of planned roll outs or similar plays. 

Gonna have to have pass rushes with discipline

However, many of the sacks we got last week, we just plain collapsed the whole pocket.  Not a lot of places for a mobile QB to run to

Although I would expect to see a whole lot of planned roll outs or similar plays. 

It's also a lot easier to devise a game plan against a quarterback that will not run. Just look at how easily RG3 got beaten up last year.

a running QB will keep a defense honest.

2) The Run Defense looks great.  Obviously, the biggest test comes Sunday. But all they need to do is hold McCoy in check & we've got a legit shot.

I don't agree with this. For one Arian Foster posted a 100 yard rushing game on them week one. He had several carries over 9 yards per rush that game (5 over 9 yards per play). Foster is great, but I do not think you can say they did a great job against him.

Yesterday they shut down an over rated garbage RB in Toby Gerhart. Toby Gerhart is probably the worst starting RB in the league today, and has no business being any teams starting RB imo. They did great against him but the guy is terrible,

We will see how they do the next two weeks facing off against Shady and Skittles and if they shut them down I will agree with you on that. Otherwise spot on with what you said

A valid point. Foles can buy time with his feet.

(I will also point out that Philly has just a slightly better run game than the Jags did.)

However, many of the sacks we got last week, we just plain collapsed the whole pocket. Not a lot of places for a mobile QB to run to.

Gonna have to have pass rushes with discipline.

Fitzpatrick is far more mobile than Foles.

Hank, while Foster did have 104 yards rushing, it came on 27 attempts to the tune of 3.9 yards per carry.

Gonna have to have pass rushes with discipline

Are you being sarcastic or not giving Shady his due?

Shady led the league last year in rushing yards and the Eagles added Darren Sproles to that dynamic backfield. They are without a doubt the leagues best 1-2 punch at RB. The Jaguars have nothing on the Eagles in the running game not even close.

If the Redskins actually have a good or as some said "great" run defense then shutting that tandem will be the reason they win next week. The difference makers in that game to me are simple this week and easy to spot

1. Protection of the QB - He who has the best protection wins

2. Run defense - The team that gives up the least amount of rushing yards wins that game

3. Mistake free - The winning team will be the team with the lesser amount of mistakes

If you figure out which team does that the best then lay your odds because I don't know yet. I just believe that's where the game will be won and lost

Fitzpatrick is far more mobile than Foles.

Hank, while Foster did have 104 yards rushing, it came on 27 attempts to the tune of 3.9 yards per carry.

I am aware that he rushed 27 times. I am also aware that the game plan swung to a predictable clock killing crawl which helped make those attempts happen and lowered his average big time.

Foster had 8 of those rushing attempts in the fourth quarter in what would be the last meaningful drive of the day for the Texans. Drive lasted more then 6 minutes of the 4th quarter and they got a FG out of that drive and iced the game.

In those 8 attempts when the Defense and all of us knew they were running the ball to kill the clock Foster only had one attempt that went over 9 yards, but he also only had 19 rushing yards that drive in those 8 attempts.

In other words before that drive he had 19 rushes for 85 yards for a 4.48 rushing attempt average. 

I'm just happy the team learned how to tackle.

Amen to that. That's a huge improvement thus far.

Teams come in with good game plans against them but the last two games the Eagles adjusted well after the half. They were down 17 -0 to the Jags and I think 14 - 6 last night against the colts and won both games while looking like a completely different team.

Heard an Eagles player (McCoy?) say they're in better shape than their opponents.  ESPN announcers mentioned in the 2nd half the Colts were run down.

Keenan Robinson's making tackles Fletcher missed.  Amerson's a competent starter and improving.  Riley is playing with discipline.  Baker, Baker, NT maker.  There are a bunch of reasons why this D is much better than last year.

I agree, it seems like our weaknesses are now strengths, and some players are really panning out for us.  Plus I'm glad we got Meriweather back this week.

You're nitpicking now. Any way you look at it, the run defense against foster was good. 27 attempts for 104 yards with a long of 10 yards and a forced fumble is a nice stat line against a team that is among the leagues best at running the ball.

If looking at the context instead of being lazy and looking at a single number to you is nitpicking then yea I am a nitpicker and proud of it. The devil is always in the details. I learned the military to pay attention to details and will never change that about me.

The Redskins rush defense is going to be thoroughly tested this week.

If they pass and Shady and Sproles do not have Redskins season high marks for rushing yards then I am believing that this defense is going to be top 10 this year. If they rush all over them then I reserve judgment. True test this week

Their comment on the Skins is a bit baffling:

"It's rare that a team has a better shot of winning when the backup quarterback comes in. We haven't seen that since Doug Flutie was the understudy for Rob Johnson (who, by the way, is one of the many who have played quarterback for Washington since Y2K). So I guess you know where I'm headed with this. Can you blame me? Kirk Cousins' day against the Jaguars, with Robert Griffin III out: 22-of-33 passing for 250 yards and two touchdowns. That said, now Washington has little depth at QB if Cousins falters and DeSean Jackson struggles to stay healthy. Tough to put this team higher for now."

1) No mention of the defense, at all...just Cousins. If KC's performance impressed you, the defense's performance should have stunned you into silence lol. Sure, go ahead and say "It was against the Jags" in the write up if you must, but just last week this same power ranking had the Jaguars ahead of the Redskins.

2) What, exactly, does DeSean Jackson "struggling" to stay healthy have to do with the Redskins' lack of depth at QB? lol...

This is a big game for Perry Riley. Robinson and the rest of the linebackers

Oh that's huge. McCoy every year since his rookie season has had his best Redskins games in the first game of the year. In his rookie season back in 2009 was his only game against us that he did better his second time playing us. Sproles on the other hands actually only played the Redskins twice in his long career. Neither game were significant at all. If the linebackers are not ready to control this Thunder Lightening package then it will spell doom for us.

Well this means nothing. This weekend will tell the story.

I've got a bad feeling that were going to be all smacked back to reality.

If we can't get pressure were going to be in trouble and the Eagles have a pretty good line.

I hope Haslett is smart enough to realize that Sproles and McCoy are going to be getting a lot of screens passes.

The screen pass is what scares me the most with the Eagles.

Archived