Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adrian Peterson indicted on child abuse via TMZ

Mocountyskins

You guys need to stop overreacting to every little thing. I was told that it's never too early to teach your kid right from wrong. Even a one year old is capable of learning.

The human brain can't even form long term memories until about age 3 so using violence to "teach" a 1 year old is pretty stupid. It's a human not a dog.

The human brain can't even form long term memories until about age 3 so using violence to "teach" a 1 year old is pretty stupid. It's a human not a dog.

Again, I was told that the learning process starts almost immediately.

Do you really think he meant that he whips his one year old? At most, he probably meant that he sometimes gives his child a gentle tap on the bottom. Nothing more.

My kids(s) wont fear me... They'll fear disobeying me. Chances are though that I won't have to lay a hand on them though. I'll concoct and weave a narrative so disturbing they won't dare **** with me.

My wife always says what kept her in line and made her strive to always be better was the fear that her father would be disappointed in her.

Do you really think he meant that he whips his one year old? At most, he probably meant that he sometimes gives his child a gentle tap on the bottom. Nothing more.

Which does nothing for a one year old, so if you feel you have to discipline a ONE year old then you are a ****ing terrible parent.

Yes I meant to add that I don't think Bush was endorsing a beat down of a 1 year old.

Which does nothing for a one year old, so if you feel you have to discipline a ONE year old then you are a ****ing terrible parent.

You ask any professional. They all will tell you that the learning process starts at a VERY young age.

You were told wrong.

Prove me wrong. I'll wait.

Nevermind. I'll leave you with this.

http://www.earlychildhoodeducation.co.uk/when-do-babies-start-learning.html

You ask any professional. They all will tell you that the learning process starts at a VERY young age.

Prove me wrong. I'll wait.

I'm pretty sure no professional will tell you to spank a one year old however "gently". Most don't even recommend timeout more than a couple of minutes because kids that young can't associate cause and effect.

I'm pretty sure no professional will tell you to spank a one year old however "gently". Most don't even recommend timeout more than a couple of minutes because kids that young can't associate cause and effect.

Will you please show me a perfect parent? I've heard people say "don't spank or don't yell" at your kid. Pretty much, don't do ANYTHING to make them mad. In todays world, you're supposed to "DISCUSS" a curfew and bedtimes. Whatever happened to, "if your parent told you to do something, you did it without question?"

Will you please show me a perfect parent? I've heard people say "don't spank or don't yell" at your kid. Pretty much, don't do ANYTHING to make them mad. In todays world, you're supposed to "DISCUSS" a curfew and bedtimes. Whatever happened to, "if your parent told you to do something, you did it without question?"

Right the only effective punishment is yelling and hitting because violence works. 

Yeah but with corporal punishment?

Seriously, some of you who are advocating this nonsense maybe need to open your eyes to the wealth of studies out there showing just how detrimental this can be to the proper development of infants and children.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12614655

Just because it happened in your times, or you were told by someone doesn't mean that this practice has any sort of merit.

People really, really, REALLY do not want to hear this.

"Don't you tell me how to raise my child!  And don't you DARE tell me anything that suggests that my parents didn't use exactly the right methods in raising me!"

I believe that things will change, but it's not going to happen overnight.  It is going to take generations.

People really, really, REALLY do not want to hear this.

"Don't you tell me how to raise my child!  And don't you DARE tell me anything that suggests that my parents didn't use exactly the right methods in raising me!"

I believe that things will change, but it's not going to happen overnight.  It is going to take generations.

This is almost an impossible conversation to have. No wife abuser wll stand up in public and say, "Yea...I hit her.....It's the only way she'll learn." That's a taboo.

But corporal punishment for some is almost a point of pride. And nearly everyone has some experience with it, and do not want to be in the position of hearing that someone they or someone they loved did may not be perfectly done out of love.

Kind of a strawman.  This whole thread is full of people not saying anything remotely like that, who still oppose corporal punishment.

No one is saying don't discipline and control your children.   Just saying that physically hurting them is not the way to go.

Right the only effective punishment is yelling and hitting because violence works.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. There's a difference between a spanking and abuse. Also, why is it so hard for some to understand that there's no one size fits all to patenting? The Ward Cleaver, Mike Brady and Cliff Huxtable approach to parenting won't work on all kids.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. There's a difference between a spanking and abuse. Also, why is it so hard for some to understand that there's no one size fits all to patenting? The Ward Cleaver, Mike Brady and Cliff Huxtable approach to parenting won't work on all kids.

Because studies have show physical discipline isn't effective. If it is why don't we use it in Juvenile detention centers. If my workers are goofing off why can't I hit them. Why can't I hit some drunken idiot acting fool at Skins games.  

Not sure that's true. The Internet has changed how fast change can happen. Look at gay marriage.

The thing is, gay marriage doesn't personally affect anyone who isn't 1) gay and 2) looking to get married.   Once that sank in, most people stopped caring and said, heck, why not? 

How children are raised affected everyone who has children, and our attitudes about it are molded by how each of us were raised by our parents.   Everyone who was spanked as a child has a natural psychological need to think that spanking is ok, or even that it is necessary, because we all love our parents and don't want to think that they did anything wrong.  "My parents would never have hurt me if I didn't NEED to be hurt - they are good people who love me more than anything in the world."

It is extremely difficult to break through that kind of psychological barrier. 

It's not hard to understand those things.   We understand, but we think you are wrong about spanking.   Well intentioned and not a bad person - just wrong.   

Because studies have show physical discipline isn't effective. If it is why don't we use it in Juvenile detention centers. If my workers are goofing off why can't I hit them. Why can't I hit some drunken idiot acting fool at Skins games.  

This is often the place in the thread where that one guy starts going off about how wonderful Singapore is and why don't we have caning here, it would solve everything blah blah blah...    :P

This is often the place in the thread where that one guy starts going off about how wonderful Singapore is and why don't we have caning here, it would solve everything blah blah blah...    :P

This being a football board, it's somewhat safe to make this point here. Everytime a team underperforms, a certain segment of the fanbase wants the coach fired and some hard-nosed, Bear Bryant wannabe to come in and re-enact Junction Boys. If people die, they die. There is football games to be won. There is a certain segment that always thinks that's the only way to coach. Christ, Peter King was putting Coach Mike Munchak in Canton for the second time because he banned hats when he was a head coach.

And then Pete Carrol shows up and screws up everything.

Archived