Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 NFL Comprehensive Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Some notes after watching a few cut-ups involving the virginia secondary.

Anthony Harris is over-rated as a 2nd-3rd rounder.  He'll make plays on the ball but he reminds me of Rambo except he's slighter of build.  Horrible angles, late reactions to deep routes.  He's solid on intermediate routes, but at only 190 he's light for a strong safety.

Canady looks really good.  He mostly played in the nickel and he offered a bit of everything.  Elite length, fluid hips and movement, and toughness to fight blockers, blitz, and make tackles in the run game.  Not sure what his long speed is, but he's a solid prospect.  Could possibly make the transition to free safety.

And Blanding is a stud for a true freshman.  That kid is probably a top 10 pick in another 2 years.  Huge size and good instincts.

I'm wondering if Compton/Moses will be deemed sufficient following this season.  It'd be nice to do something like DE/S/G, or G/S/DE or something, and not have to worry about OT.

I'm thinking maybe S and DE early, like 1 and 2, and buying an OG in FA this offseason.  We kinda stink at drafting them, so either we gotta go OG early, or we should heavily chase someone like Iupati.

Since OGs tend to be cheaper than DEs or Ss, I'd prefer us drafting the future expensive guys and paying the cheaper FAs.

Plus, we'll likely have a new DC, so let him draft his guys, while we need protection for RGIII NOW, which a high level guard could provide.

Iupati at LG, slide Lauvao to RG, and if Compton or Moses hold up then the line is ok.  Let Ryan/Phillips/Spanos draft two guys for the D early and really get a headstart on the post Haslett era.

I'm gonna start my S evaluations with Detrick Bonner Virginia Tech:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/detrick-bonner/

I'm gonna grade similar to this format from last year:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/369991-2014-comprehensive-nfl-draft-database/?p=9721300

but with more....

-count the plays they were involved in

-classic + or - grade system

-count missed tackles

-count tackles with pop/good form and wrapped with arms

-count pass defense opportunities and outcomes

-count poor angles

-comment on motor, hustle, pursuit, agressiveness

I could live with that.

That would be a spectacular haul...there's no way the latter 2 make it past late 1st, early 2nd. Remember our Deone Buchanan discussions this year? Smith will be selected by someone who knows their Safties well before our 2nd turn.

Also...i saw someone grading Cann as a 3rd? Hahaha...he's in Kiper & McShay's top 10 overall, & #1 OG. No way he gets past 15.

If a guy like Scherff, unless he becomes a bust not seen before by mankind, is drafted by us, he is going to be a starter and upgrade immediately at least one of the RG, LG, or RT spots.  If Long or Moses or Leribeus or Beavis or Butthead "develop" well that's just fantastic, lets actually draft a player that is good enough that he just walks in and starts at a position that we are clearly horrendous at and have neglected annually for once.  

If we don't draft him, I'll trust whatever OT player is drafted.  I'm not saying Scherff is my favorite, I don't know **** about any of these guys, all I know is he is the one that seems to be able to play T or G unlike the Cedric or Peat players, or at least a handful of scouting reports say.  I just know the general position that seems obvious to me to upgrade in the draft is OL. 

I really don't think drafting Landon Collins or any pass rusher is going to improve this team as much as a lineman would, at any of the spots.  If RG3 is staying our QB we need a better line, oh wait, we need a better line anyway. I know there are other rounds. But instead of getting a guy we "hope" is going to be good on the line, let's get a guy that Trent actually says, "OK, I don't have to block 7 guys anymore."  He's not a ****ing octopus. I also want an additional OL drafted in either the 2nd or 3rd, preferably 2nd, because if we keep our offense on the field, that keeps our defense off the field, and fresher 11 guys on D thanks to a better ball controlling O could almost equate to just having a theoretical "good" safety or "stud" pass rusher on the team.  And that's without the better O. Offense is becoming more and more important with each passing year.  

It's the more sustainable side, because QBs last longer and longer now with the rules changing, so if both have horrendous needs, Offense is better if my brain calculations are correct.  The top QBs are lasting in the NFL about as long as kickers/punters now, it's absurd.  But, to get the QB humming like that, which RG3 clearly isn't yet and a large reason why is he gets beat up every game, let's build this monster O line that will help sustain him and develop him in these tremendously important years that are getting squandered. 

I think Brandon Scherff is going to play guard, he has a NASTY mean streak but his footwork/kick step needs MAJOR work. Pass rushers get by him like how they get by Polumbus but if he gets his mitts on you it's over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nahv6gMeUK8#t=186

I think Brandon Scherff is going to play guard, he has a NASTY mean streak but his footwork/kick step needs MAJOR work. Pass rushers get by him like how they get by Polumbus but if he gets his mitts on you it's over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nahv6gMeUK8#t=186

knowing that, even though we do need an upgrade at guard as well, probably isn't a good sign of us drafting him, at least with our drafting history... never drafting OL first except when it's obvious like the Trent year, and then all of the sudden drafting a guard in the top 10.

I'm sure that just from the mean streak aspect alone he probably would develop into a better pass protector than Typo eventually, but obviously college players aren't superstars so I take your word for it that he has limitations... I had heard about his bad maryland game as well, so thanks for linking that, finally can see it. 

That would be a spectacular haul...there's no way the latter 2 make it past late 1st, early 2nd. Remember our Deone Buchanan discussions this year? Smith will be selected by someone who knows their Safties well before our 2nd turn.

Also...i saw someone grading Cann as a 3rd? Hahaha...he's in Kiper & McShay's top 10 overall, & #1 OG. No way he gets past 15.

Same guys who had David yankey as the top guard and a top 15 pick last year. I don't see it with cann, he wasn't overly impressive when I watched him, I like the fsu guards a lot better.

Same guys who had David yankey as the top guard and a top 15 pick last year. I don't see it with cann, he wasn't overly impressive when I watched him, I like the fsu guards a lot better.

Well to be fair ...Scouts Inc. has a pretty high grade on him, & i made it a point to watch him the last 2 games. I think he's a surefire pro bowler at the big leagues...same way i felt about Joel Bitonio (sips from beverage to wash down vomit). Cann uses his leverage appropriately, gets good push, has great positioning & knee bend, long arms which he uses well, & a bit of a mean streak.

Scherff looks good too until he is forced to run pass-pro too often. I agree he could play OG on the next level, & i wouldn't mind the pick. I just think Cann will step in day 1 & pretty much develop the same way Bitonio has to this point.

I rewatched the Landon Collins vs Auburn game from 2013 and he just doesn't look like a top 10 safety there.  Made a few solid tackles, a great forced fumble and recovery, but his angles were poor on a few plays (two huge gains on the ground from a poor angle by him) and he had a few sloppy tackles.  It was a mixed bag performance but one that left me down on his actual potential.  I think he would be a poor pick in the top 10 when I'm not so sure he's better than the other safeties in this class.  

I just don't think you go safety in the top 10 unless they have Eric Berry type potential, and Collins is nowhere near that.  That's not to say he wouldn't be an improvement for our team, but I don't think you can realistically look at him and expect all-pro potential.  I'd like the pick a whole lot more if it was a 2nd rounder or late 1st where you're not expecting an all-pro.

Well to be fair ...Scouts Inc. has a pretty high grade on him, & i made it a point to watch him the last 2 games. I think he's a surefire pro bowler at the big leagues...same way i felt about Joel Bitonio (sips from beverage to wash down vomit). Cann uses his leverage appropriately, gets good push, has great positioning & knee bend, long arms which he uses well, & a bit of a mean streak.

Scherff looks good too until he is forced to run pass-pro too often. I agree he could play OG on the next level, & i wouldn't mind the pick. I just think Cann will step in day 1 & pretty much develop the same way Bitonio has to this point.

Don't get me wrong, Cann is a good prospect (I don't think he's an elite prospect though), but I was particularly impressed with how Tre Jackson handled Aaron Donald last year.  It was a stark contrast to his backup, who got in the game and got destroyed on practically every play by Donald.  I believe Jackson to be a prototypical RG.  

If our draft went Shelton, Jackson, then Daryl Williams in the 3rd then I would be stoked.  Pick up Iupati in free agency and we're talking about a massive shift on our offensive line in size with a shiny new NT for our defense.  Still would need to look at safeties somewhere, but I'm ok going in to next season still having a hole there as long as we fill linemen positions.  Can't have elite players everywhere, and I think the 2016 draft will be better for safeties than this year.

I rewatched the Landon Collins vs Auburn game from 2013 and he just doesn't look like a top 10 safety there.  Made a few solid tackles, a great forced fumble and recovery, but his angles were poor on a few plays (two huge gains on the ground from a poor angle by him) and he had a few sloppy tackles.  It was a mixed bag performance but one that left me down on his actual potential.  I think he would be a poor pick in the top 10 when I'm not so sure he's better than the other safeties in this class.  

I just don't think you go safety in the top 10 unless they have Eric Berry type potential, and Collins is nowhere near that.  That's not to say he wouldn't be an improvement for our team, but I don't think you can realistically look at him and expect all-pro potential.  I'd like the pick a whole lot more if it was a 2nd rounder or late 1st where you're not expecting an all-pro.

Landon is a SS period. Not taking him in top 10. Honestly I like Pruitt just as much. GeRod Holliman is the one to watch a legit FS already has like 10ints. Still like Anthony Harris as well in 3rd rd area.

Id go O-Line, D-Line passrusher or trade back. Id have Redskin one fueled up and go after Devin McCourty hard day 1 of free agency if NE dont franchise him. That kid is a legit FS and young.

Landon is a SS period. Not taking him in top 10. Honestly I like Pruitt just as much. GeRod Holliman is the one to watch a legit FS already has like 10ints. Still like Anthony Harris as well in 3rd rd area.

Id go O-Line, D-Line passrusher or trade back. Id have Redskin one fueled up and go after Devin McCourty hard day 1 of free agency if NE dont franchise him. That kid is a legit FS and young.

Yeah, Holliman likely doesn't come out this year. Next year with him and Cravens should be good and I like Blanding's potential two years from now. They all strike me as better safeties than Collins. They are the impact guys that are worthy of top 15 picks.

McCourty might be a solid pickup as well, but if the choice is him or iupati then I'd rather improve our line and protect our biggest investment. Get us back to having a great line while our qb is inexperienced and our rb is young.

Yeah, Holliman likely doesn't come out this year. Next year with him and Cravens should be good and I like Blanding's potential two years from now. They all strike me as better safeties than Collins. They are the impact guys that are worthy of top 15 picks.

McCourty might be a solid pickup as well, but if the choice is him or iupati then I'd rather improve our line and protect our biggest investment. Get us back to having a great line while our qb is inexperienced and our rb is young.

Iupati has really struggled in pass protection. I wouldnt pay him what it will take especially with the contract going into his 30's. Id rather just draft a guy.

Holliman, I think will declare his stock is about to be skyhigh.

McCourty is a flatout stud that kid is constantly improving. His ability to play centerfield and drop down into the slot would drastically improve this defense instantly.

Iupati has really struggled in pass protection. I wouldnt pay him what it will take especially with the contract going into his 30's. Id rather just draft a guy.

Holliman, I think will declare his stock is about to be skyhigh.

McCourty is a flatout stud that kid is constantly improving. His ability to play centerfield and drop down into the slot would drastically improve this defense instantly.

Still rated as the top run-blocking guard in football by PFF.  His pass blocking issues aren't a career defining trait, in 2013 he gave up the 4th fewest sacks of any guard.  If he's available, it would go a long way towards improving our line.

The 30s argument is bizarre considering he's all of less than a half year older than McCourty.  We would be signing a contract for both of them that would take them in to the 30s.

I think Holliman is almost forced to come out this year, with the INT numbers he's putting up. No way he can repeat that, so no matter what happens there will be a perceived drop in his stock. Not as badly as with Amerson when he went back because Amerson just plain stunk sometimes, but still. His stock can't go up any further. Same reason Ball should have come out of Wisconsin a year earlier, he was never going to improve his stock, and he was always going to have the "Wisc RB stink" around him. All he did was add more carries to his resume which wasn't a good thing. I know, I know. Different position entirely. I'm just saying. QB's almost always benefit from going back to school IF they're legit. Maybe DB's are the same but many positions, they should just come out while they're healthy, producing, and have buzz behind their names.

I think Holliman is almost forced to come out this year, with the INT numbers he's putting up. No way he can repeat that, so no matter what happens there will be a perceived drop in his stock. Not as badly as with Amerson when he went back because Amerson just plain stunk sometimes, but still. His stock can't go up any further. Same reason Ball should have come out of Wisconsin a year earlier, he was never going to improve his stock, and he was always going to have the "Wisc RB stink" around him. All he did was add more carries to his resume which wasn't a good thing. I know, I know. Different position entirely. I'm just saying. QB's almost always benefit from going back to school IF they're legit. Maybe DB's are the same but many positions, they should just come out while they're healthy, producing, and have buzz behind their names.

I think his biggest knock will be being labeled as a one year wonder. Amerson had to go back for his redshirt sophomore year, which gave a more realistic examination of his skill set. Scary drafting someone like that so high, but all it takes is one team being enthralled by potential.

Archived