Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 NFL Comprehensive Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I'm not going to speculate on individual players because I don't get to watch as much game play as I'd like, but I will say this. If we don't focus on our lines this draft, I'll be most displeased. 1-2 early picks on O or D line, at least 3 picks spent on those position groups overall. This needs to be an annual mantra. You can't spend all your ones on DB. It just doesn't work.

If Marcus Peters falls to the 3rd-4th (or maybe even 2nd) because of character concerns...I hope we draft him anyways.

I don't know where I'd rank Peters yet when compared to other corners in this draft. I would need to see him more, but he's definitely got some holes in his game. He's also nowhere near as physical or aggressive in run support as Breeland is. He doesn't fight off/through blocks.

3rd-4th, sure. I guess. But I'd go elsewhere in the 2nd. Someone who openly feuds with coaches? What else is wrong there?

I think his biggest knock will be being labeled as a one year wonder. Amerson had to go back for his redshirt sophomore year, which gave a more realistic examination of his skill set. Scary drafting someone like that so high, but all it takes is one team being enthralled by potential.

I think Holliman is legit he has the physical makeup with the instincts. He is a redshirt sophmore who has Calvin Pryor on the squad. Same with Landon he didnt get on the field until a injury last year and he had Clinton-Dix on the squad. Holliman might be a legit trade back alittle target. Id rather sign McCourty fix that back end once and for all then address the lines in the draft.

I don't know where I'd rank Peters yet when compared to other corners in this draft. I would need to see him more, but he's definitely got some holes in his game. He's also nowhere near as physical or aggressive in run support as Breeland is. He doesn't fight off/through blocks.

3rd-4th, sure. I guess. But I'd go elsewhere in the 2nd. Someone who openly feuds with coaches? What else is wrong there?

If based on play alone he was a lock 1st rounder. But how about Shaq that kid is so legit. I think he could be a dynamite SS. Plays great on offense, defense and ST.

I think Holliman is legit he has the physical makeup with the instincts. He is a redshirt sophmore who has Calvin Pryor on the squad. Same with Landon he didnt get on the field until a injury last year and he had Clinton-Dix on the squad. Holliman might be a legit trade back alittle target. Id rather sign McCourty fix that back end once and for all then address the lines in the draft.

If based on play alone he was a lock 1st rounder. But how about Shaq that kid is so legit. I think he could be a dynamite SS. Plays great on offense, defense and ST.

Holliman had another monster game, he might be the best safety in this class.

Thompson is a beast too, but would you move him to ss? I think he has more than enough athleticism for it, but you typically don't see guys moved back. Loved the way he uncoiled in his hits and he's had a nose for the ball all year. Myles jack had a great run in the first half of the ucla game and seems like a similar player.

Man that wash defense is great. Just went through a half of the ucla game and Shelton was kind of quiet but had two hits on the qb so far, but ucla has been spreading the ball out so kind of a tough situation for him.

Holliman had another monster game, he might be the best safety in this class.

Thompson is a beast too, but would you move him to ss? I think he has more than enough athleticism for it, but you typically don't see guys moved back. Loved the way he uncoiled in his hits and he's had a nose for the ball all year. Myles jack had a great run in the first half of the ucla game and seems like a similar player.

Man that wash defense is great. Just went through a half of the ucla game and Shelton was kind of quiet but had two hits on the qb so far, but ucla has been spreading the ball out so kind of a tough situation for him.

I loved seeing Shaq making tackles on special teams. He is cant miss prospect. I think he is a 43 Will or SS but is gonna impact the game wherever he plays kid is legit.

For pure entertainment value, I don't take Kiper as anything close to gospel

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/51321/football-insider-mel-kiper

Mike (DC)

Should the Redskins go tackle or secondary?

Mel Kiper

(2:45 PM)

I think it's the OL. You can't have another franchise QB in RG III and have him get hit as much as he does. He took a ton of hits. They need to go out and get themselves a quality RT. That line has to get better. You've got to protect him. The two young CBs are developing.

I'm gonna try and watch me some La'el Collins.  I know someone said he backpedals poorly, and that may be true, but just from reading a little into him, I'm getting a Bitonio vibe; college OT who we could kick into guard to start immediately who has the potential to play RT in the future if need be.

Even still, Kiper is correct. He's much better than he's given credit for. McShay on the other hand, is a complete clown.

Kiper does talk to a lot of knowledgeable people.  It's possible there are several factors for his reasoning besides what he mentions.

The people he talks to think this years CB class is worse than the OL class.

The people he talks to think Amerson/Breeland could be good enough to where a 1st round pick of equally talented OL vs Secondary would be better spent on the OL.

The people he talks to think the secondary group has more than just Marcus Peters with the off-field red flag issues.

The people he talks to think they still like RG3's future or they know our franchise is likely going to pickup his 5th year option, and protecting that asset is a higher priority.

The people he talks to think their won't be a talented enough secondary player where we'll probably be picking in the draft.

He was asked specially about Tackle, not the o-line, but he expanded it to the entire o-line.  Possibly implying what others here have speculated, that this could be a good draft for converting college OT's to Guard.

For pure entertainment value, I don't take Kiper as anything close to gospel

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/51321/football-insider-mel-kiper

Mike (DC)

Should the Redskins go tackle or secondary?

Mel Kiper

(2:45 PM)

I think it's the OL. You can't have another franchise QB in RG III and have him get hit as much as he does. He took a ton of hits. They need to go out and get themselves a quality RT. That line has to get better. You've got to protect him. The two young CBs are developing.

why not take him as gospel? he's actually right, we need a new offensive line badly. 

why not take him as gospel? he's actually right, we need a new offensive line badly. 

So it's not just that we need a new offensive line badly, it's that we need comparable level of play for the dollar put in.

We would be in a better situation if our o-line cost $10 million less, since that $10 million could go elsewhere (such as a higher quality nickel corner than EJ Biggers or the oft-injured Tracy Porter).  The problem is that we're paying our o-line as if it was the 3rd best unit in football, when it's clearly not.

Starters on rookie contracts would be one way to get a cheaper o-line.

I'm gonna try and watch me some La'el Collins. I know someone said he backpedals poorly, and that may be true, but just from reading a little into him, I'm getting a Bitonio vibe; college OT who we could kick into guard to start immediately who has the potential to play RT in the future if need be.

The same could be said of scherff, but one of my bigger knocks on him is that he gives up early on plays. That's the last thing you want when you have a scrambling qb. Reminded me a little too much of haynesworth in that respect; physically dominating but puts forth the least amount of effort possible. Definitely something I would ask him about in interviews, cause I like his nastiness when he's in the play.

We definitely have too much cap space invested in the WR position. This is going to be another nice WR class in the first couple rounds, I'd love to trade Garçon for a 3rd and then spend a 2nd or a 3rd on his replacement. There are a ton of guys that could step right in across from Desean as nice possession WR's who are a threat in the RZ, whoever's not taken in the 1st out of Parker, White, Strong, etc. Obviously Cooper is going in the 1st. Or you could go with another insanely fast/athletic guy in Coates who needs to work on his drops but also makes some spectacular catches. And there are others.

So it's not just that we need a new offensive line badly, it's that we need comparable level of play for the dollar put in.

We would be in a better situation if our o-line cost $10 million less, since that $10 million could go elsewhere (such as a higher quality nickel corner than EJ Biggers or the oft-injured Tracy Porter).  The problem is that we're paying our o-line as if it was the 3rd best unit in football, when it's clearly not.

Starters on rookie contracts would be one way to get a cheaper o-line.

Exactly and that's why we should draft a tackle and guard in the 1st and 2nd round(if they're bpa or as close to bpa as possible of course). We should also promote Spencer Long so he can take Chester's spot at RG. 

Lauvao, Chester, Polumbus need to be replaced immediately, haven't really checked out compton but I've heard he's actually been rather ok in his limited playing time. 

We definitely have too much cap space invested in the WR position. This is going to be another nice WR class in the first couple rounds, I'd love to trade Garçon for a 3rd and then spend a 2nd or a 3rd on his replacement. There are a ton of guys that could step right in across from Desean as nice possession WR's who are a threat in the RZ, whoever's not taken in the 1st out of Parker, White, Strong, etc. Obviously Cooper is going in the 1st. Or you could go with another insanely fast/athletic guy in Coates who needs to work on his drops but also makes some spectacular catches. And there are others.

If you trade garcon a portion of his contract still hits your salary cap as dead space. Our focus should be on fixing the offensive line and secondary.

Since 1999 when Daniel Snyder took over we've only drafted two lineman in the first round, one was hall of famer Chris Samuels (2000) and second is Elite LT Trent Williams (2010).

We need to sure up this offensive line because we're gonna need our offense to score to win us games until the next defensive coordinators defense gets up to speed. 

I'm leery of tossing out Garcon too quickly, one because he was beast for us last year and I think can still be that guy, and two, because we've been in the WR wilderness since the "The Posse," and DJax/Garcon/Roberts is probably the closest we've been since and are likely to be without spending significant resources at the position.

That isn't to say I wouldn't enjoy drafting someone high, though it would compromise our ability to grow elsewhere and if we replaced Garcon with Cooper, for example, his salary would likely be about 80% of what we'd save from Garcon, so likely not a huge chunk of money for us.

If you trade garcon a portion of his contract still hits your salary cap as dead space. Our focus should be on fixing the offensive line and secondary.

Since 1999 when Daniel Snyder took over we've only drafted two lineman in the first round, one was hall of famer Chris Samuels (2000) and second is Elite LT Trent Williams (2010).

We need to sure up this offensive line because we're gonna need our offense to score to win us games until the next defensive coordinators defense gets up to speed.

I'm 100% on board with drafting a couple OL high. I just have a feeling that, as usual, this FO will see OL as less of a need than everyone else.

Plus, trading Garçon and replacing him with a cheap rookie is a good way to free up cap space for another position of need, maybe even OL.

The best teams have AT LEAST 2 top tier wide receivers.

That's one of the areas we are actually above average in as far as talent. Why would we want to change that?

Have people soured on Pierre THAT Quickly? Didn't he lead  the league in receptions last year?

This franchise needs some success and soon. The speed that this fanbase has lost its mind, there's no telling what they'll do next.

I'm leery of tossing out Garcon too quickly, one because he was beast for us last year and I think can still be that guy, and two, because we've been in the WR wilderness since the "The Posse," and DJax/Garcon/Roberts is probably the closest we've been since and are likely to be without spending significant resources at the position.

That isn't to say I wouldn't enjoy drafting someone high, though it would compromise our ability to grow elsewhere and if we replaced Garcon with Cooper, for example, his salary would likely be about 80% of what we'd save from Garcon, so likely not a huge chunk of money for us.

Personally, I wouldn't be excited about spending our 1st on a replacement WR. A 2nd or 3rd I could get on board with if we got rid of Garçon.

We already have a ton of resources invested in our WR corps, too much, which is part of the reason why I propose this scenario.

But I also won't mind if we keep Garçon (assuming he's not a cancer of some sort) and use those picks on OL/DL/DB

The thing with Garcon is that we're only saving about 5M.  Now, that's not chump change, but it won't buy us a better team, not on its own.

Swooping over to some monetary crunching I did in the other thread, we're supposed to have 18.4M in space next year if we do nothing (no re-signs, no signings, no draft picks).

By cutting Bowen, Chester, Porter, and Hall (assuming he's too injured to play at a good level, definitely possible after 2 injuries in a row), we get that figure to 33.1M

Then, subtract around 5.5M for cheap JAGs to fill in the bottom rungs of the roster, and we've got around 27.5M left.  Subtract another 7M or so for the draft, we're down to about 20M.

20M is a lot of money to throw around, and we could add more by cutting Paulsen and Golston (another 2.8M in savings).

Sure, a lot goes back into re-signing some guys, though at first glance the only guys I'm really looking to bring back are Meriweather, Paul, Jenkins, Helu, Forbath, and Compton, none of whom should really break the bank and who combined should be maybe 10M, maybe.

Anyways, the point is, we've got enough money with some choice cuts to:

- fill the roster

- re-sign our guys

- sign draft picks

while still having enough left over for a couple high profile signings (top OGs, for example, come in around 6M per year, and high level FSs are usually around 7, so a little bit backloaded we can afford both after all that).

Meanwhile, I'm leery of cutting/trading Garcon without investing a high pick (1st or early 2nd) into a WR, because WRs usually take around 3 years to develop, while DJax could very well be gone by 2016.

Remember, DJax is signed through 2016, but his contract jumps massively in year 3.

Garcon is signed through 2016, and his deal is pretty flat in '15 and '16.

Roberts is signed through 2017.

What that means is that we'll be seeing holes or at least drops in capability of the WR corps come 2016, 2017, and 2018, in each year.

We'd really have to hit a diamond in the rough to manage to not have a dangerous gap in our WR capabilities starting in 2016, and would have to hit at least once more between then and 2018 to not have another gap.

Expediting the creation of those gaps, when we, as an organization, have not shown the ability to draft even 1 good WR in the past 23 years, let alone 2, makes me very antsy.

I don't see the point in dumping Garcon next year. Why turn a strength in to a potential question mark? Perhaps grant progresses but I'd rather let him sit on the bench until it's absolutely necessary. Having a top receiving corp isn't holding us back, especially with gruden wanting to pass as much as he does.

1st RD - Oline

2nd RD - Oline

3rd RD - Oline

4th RD - LB

5th RD - S

6th RD - Dline

7th Rd - Any other good addition we can make.

I'm with the first 2 rounds being lineman IF and only IF those lineman are BPA or as close to BPA as possible.

If we could somehow get another ELITE tackle like trent in the 1st round and an Elite guard in the 2nd round I would thank the football gawds for eternity. 

Archived