Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you use for personal finance tracking?

Springfield

I don't have anything for tracking and I tried a bunch. Mint is okay. My bank's built-in equivalent is okay. It's just not "smart" enough, yes it's limited by the data I give it to a degree. But what I really want to know is spending by category. Which requires me to go in and input every transaction category.

Mint.com is ok. I like the budgeting, but you can't export to CSV or XLSX format (which sucks when you've been using to track a budget for college project and then when its time to turn it in... uh oh). Also, the categorization can be tedious. But, its free and you can see where your money is going, which is a huge step to financial freedom and discipline.

Nothing integrated ... because I don't know what I'd do with the data. I briefly looked at Mint but didn't maintain it.

I use Vanguard online for managing investments, online banking provides some categorization on inflows and outflows if I want it, and all of our discretionary spending is on a primary credit card which offers categories too.

We are very fortunate in that we are able to live well beneath our means, and so I don't see the value in closely tracking and managing expenditures.

I really like the Virtual Wallet by PNC for retail banking.  The rest is in a Google Docs spreadsheet so my wife and I can both look at it at the same time and edit it from wherever (usually when we both are at work, on gchat.)

I'm PNC too and when I first got virtual wallet, the tracking feature wasn't that good. But I looked again this week and they've improved it so I agree with your review. 

I also use a google docs spread sheet to do a budget.

We are very fortunate in that we are able to live well beneath our means, and so I don't see the value in closely tracking and managing expenditures.

Same but after years of doing it this way, just having a big lump under "discretionary spending" I found I was pissing away too much on little purchases. It adds up. 

Not saying it's the same for you. 

Same but after years of doing it this way, just having a big lump under "discretionary spending" I found I was pissing away too much on little purchases. It adds up. 

Nah ... we're pretty much misers regarding small crap. No Starbucks habits or the like.

This thread got me wondering and I looked up if there's an app for iPhone.

"Spending tracker" seems to be a good one. Assuming you have your phone all you all the time, I think it would be pretty convenient. 

I use Mint.com as an app as well on my iPhone and tablet. One thing that really annoys me though (not Mint's fault), is that my credit union requires periodic two factor identification for online, so my app will stop importing checking transactions until I go online to the bank's site and logon. At first when it failed I tried to just re-add it several times, which resulted in locking me out and a trip to the local branch.

Nah ... we're pretty much misers regarding small crap. No Starbucks habits or the like.

Yeah, starbucks and the like have been a surprising source of outflow for us. 

I use Mint.com as an app as well on my iPhone and tablet. One thing that really annoys me though (not Mint's fault), is that my credit union requires periodic two factor identification for online, so my app will stop importing checking transactions until I go online to the bank's site and logon. At first when it failed I tried to just re-add it several times, which resulted in locking me out and a trip to the local branch.

Yeah, same thing happened with me and mint so I got tired using it. 

Archived