Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I want to sue the republican party for willful denial of scientific evidence about climate change.

Mad Mike

11 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

My magnolia tree two days ago.

This shouldn't happen for about another month. 

NOT NORMAL. ☹

New normal.

Last year was our wetest year in recorded history. Last year was also I think the 5th warmest and three of the top four were all in the last five years.

I saw a stat that showed at the current rate Lexington will have equivalent of central Mississippi average weather in 20 years I think.

• Sad 1

On 7/31/2014 at 5:04 PM, Mad Mike said:

I believe that it can be proven in a court of law that republican denial of scientific evidence stems from monetary ties to the energy industry, primarily lead by Koch Industries. I further believe that the actions taken by current republicans to prevent any form of energy conservation or advance alternative energy projects no matter how beneficial can be proven harmful to the common good and the threaten the safety of the United States as a whole. I believe their quid pro quo actions on behalf of and by the entrenched energy industry can be proven treasonous in a court of law and we the people can take our nation back.

I'm personally of the opinion that we humans are in some ways contributing to climate change in this world, however, I still believe that mother nature is also just doing her thing for the most part.

My question though is if funding were available to put together a team to definitively say one way or the other exactly what effect "we" have on climate change, where would you put your money?  You can only put your money in one place from the list of organizations included in the link and the organization would have five (5) years to produce their report.  The problem I'd have is not knowing which, if any, of these organizations are bought and paid for by a particular political affiliation.

http://www.aag.org/cs/programs/interdisciplinary/climatechange/clearinghouse/organizations

Climate change... Perhaps no better example of the sort of **** stain the GOP has become and how effective they've been in convincing half of our country to shut down their brains.

Humans are the primary cause of global warming. The only reason this is debated is because a bunch of people are unable to discern what's real and what's fake.

Let's have a debate... Standing on one side of the stage are scientists. People who have spent their lives mastering their field and speak about it in terms that would make your head spin. One the other side is a bunch of politicians waving around checks from oil companies acting like asshole children and screaming at you not to believe the scientists. Here's an illustration.

And a bunch of mouthbreathers go, "Duuuuuuh... I dunno who to believe."

Which would all be bad enough even if the experts weren't warning us that there are going to be catastrophic consequences for our inaction. Like, if every doctor on the planet is telling us that we are creating a disease that is going to kill thousands of people if we don't stop doing ________ and the GOP stands there and goes, "No, keep doing ________. Company ________ gives us a lot of money!!!"

21 hours ago, twa said:

Sack's, even if we start with your position the proposed solutions are lacking.

Gee if only we could have had THAT debate for the last twenty ****ing years instead of the dumbass GOP cluster****, I REALLY would have enjoyed an actual sunstantive national discussion on how to reduce greenhouse gasses. Instead we got 15 years of denials and hoax accusations followed by five years of "well it's natural warming, so what?" and "if it's snowing how can it be global warming" and now we get "Well, it's too late" or "you don't have any solutions."

22 hours ago, twa said:

Sack's, even if we start with your position the proposed solutions are lacking.

Yeah, I know that's the new GOP talking point that they're testing out now that political winds are starting to indicate that they can't keep lying to people about the existence or cause. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Yeah, I know that's the new GOP talking point that they're testing out now that political winds are starting to indicate that they can't keep lying to people about the existence or cause. 

Bingo!!!

This is NOT by accident!

Every step of this has been strategized, and since their voters are tribalistic mouth breathers it was easy to pull off.

31 minutes ago, twa said:

it's been a point made for a long time, ya'll just ignore it.

🙄

twa: It's not true

everyone: Yes it is. Here is proof.

[This goes on for ten ****ing years]

twa: So how come you guys been ignoring this problem?

I look forward to 2030 when ****ing penguins are marching through Pflugerville and twa wants to know why the democrats didn't enact the obvious solutions that scientists have been proposing since before the turn of the century.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, twa said:

wanna take a stab at the earlier question?

anyone?

Maybe try asking some of the scientists that you've been saying are bout and paid for by "big climate". 

Well ****, maybe just start by asking the scientists at Shell who are studying carbon recapture. Wonder why fossil fuel companies like that (who have already acknowldged climate change and the need to reduce co2 production) would be investing BILLIONS in such initiatives?

It's ****ing hilarious that THOSE companies have ALREADY come around, but you the laity are still flapping on about talking points that were false 10 years ago.

I'm not a scientist, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I'm also not the one who spent 20 years saying those scientists are all crooked ****s who can't be trusted to know something that the simpletons on the Right can't understand.

God I wish we were able to have THIS discussion for the past 20 years, but noooooooo the second Al Gore was involved ya'll lost your ****ing minds and subjected us to 20 years of idocracy.

Thanks for nuthin' bub, why don't you just sit down and listen for awhile. Might learn sumthin'.

• Like 2

If only conservatives had a shred of,integrity or self-knowledge about this stuff. Conservatism, of course, ought to mean prudence and risk-aversion but instead means f*** the future, I got mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Maybe try asking some of the scientists that you've been saying are bout and paid for by "big climate".

Big climate 🤣. I never heard that before. I'm stealing it.

35 minutes ago, JCB said:

If only conservatives had a shred of,integrity or self-knowledge about this stuff. 

I'd just like to remind everybody that twa is not one of the brainwashed doofii. He's completely self-aware and knows that 99% of what he says is complete BS. twa-badger just don't give a ****. More than that, he looooooves getting a rise out of people. I know it's tempting to look at him as the personification of the GOP and lay all your frustrations on him but just remember that when you do, you're giving him a little woody because that's exactly what he wants.

• Thanks 2

Did you read up about all the North Carolina farms failing because of salinization? Apparently, the incremental sea rise isn't leading to flooding, but huge deposits of salt into the coastal ground, making all but impossible for farms to operate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ruined-crops-salty-soil-how-rising-seas-are-poisoning-north-carolinas-farmland/2019/03/01/2e26b83e-28ce-11e9-8eef-0d74f4bf0295_story.html?utm_term=.aa8119fa2dc1

MIDDLETOWN, N.C. — The salty patches were small, at first — scattered spots where soybeans wouldn’t grow, where grass withered and died, exposing expanses of bare, brown earth.

But lately those barren patches have grown. On dry days, the salt precipitates out of the mud and the crystals make the soil sparkle in the sunlight. And on a damp and chilly afternoon in January, the salt makes Dawson Pugh furrow his brow in dismay.

“It’s been getting worse,” the farmer tells East Carolina University hydrogeologist Alex Manda, who drove out to this corner of coastal North Carolina with a group of graduate students to figure out what’s poisoning Pugh’s land — and whether anything can be done to stop it.

Of climate change’s many plagues — drought, insects, fires, floods — sal****er intrusion in particular sounds almost like a biblical curse. Rising seas, sinking earth and extreme weather are conspiring to cause salt from the ocean to contaminate aquifers and turn formerly fertile fields barren. A 2016 study in the journal Sciencepredicted that 9 percent of the U.S. coastline is vulnerable to sal****er intrusion — a percentage likely to grow as the world continues to warm. Scientists are just beginning to assess the potential effect on agriculture, Manda said, and it’s not yet clear how much can be mitigated.

2 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I can't believe @Burgold would post an article with such salacious language in it!

I just noticed that myself lol. Who knew we couldn't type the word water!

Edit: Now, I'm confused. Is sal****er different than water? It is? How weird.

Edited by Burgold
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I just noticed that myself lol. Who knew we couldn't type the word water!

Edit: Now, I'm confused. Is sal****er different than water? It is? How weird.

Took me a minute to figure it out.

Way longer than it should have.

And then it began to dawn on me.

That there is a word burried it there.

5 hours ago, JCB said:

If only conservatives had a shred of,integrity or self-knowledge about this stuff. Conservatism, of course, ought to mean prudence and risk-aversion but instead means f*** the future, I got mine.

Exactly. Conservatism is supposed to be to counter balance to aggressive change, which is why so many still consider themselves conservative...but today it's anti-intellectualism, tribalism, fearmongering, gun lust, and corporate idolatry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Did you read up about all the North Carolina farms failing because of salinization? Apparently, the incremental sea rise isn't leading to flooding, but huge deposits of salt into the coastal ground, making all but impossible for farms to operate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ruined-crops-salty-soil-how-rising-seas-are-poisoning-north-carolinas-farmland/2019/03/01/2e26b83e-28ce-11e9-8eef-0d74f4bf0295_story.html?utm_term=.aa8119fa2dc1

MIDDLETOWN, N.C. — The salty patches were small, at first — scattered spots where soybeans wouldn’t grow, where grass withered and died, exposing expanses of bare, brown earth.

But lately those barren patches have grown. On dry days, the salt precipitates out of the mud and the crystals make the soil sparkle in the sunlight. And on a damp and chilly afternoon in January, the salt makes Dawson Pugh furrow his brow in dismay.

“It’s been getting worse,” the farmer tells East Carolina University hydrogeologist Alex Manda, who drove out to this corner of coastal North Carolina with a group of graduate students to figure out what’s poisoning Pugh’s land — and whether anything can be done to stop it.

Of climate change’s many plagues — drought, insects, fires, floods — sal****er intrusion in particular sounds almost like a biblical curse. Rising seas, sinking earth and extreme weather are conspiring to cause salt from the ocean to contaminate aquifers and turn formerly fertile fields barren. A 2016 study in the journal Sciencepredicted that 9 percent of the U.S. coastline is vulnerable to sal****er intrusion — a percentage likely to grow as the world continues to warm. Scientists are just beginning to assess the potential effect on agriculture, Manda said, and it’s not yet clear how much can be mitigated.

I'm a self-described conservative, but believe climate change is real. However, even the article admits that the example farmer's fallow fields were salted from hurricane Florence. The deniers will latch onto that.