Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You do realize that MD had nothing to play for while State has everything to play for. We are locked into a 3 seed and headed to Pittsburgh. That lead for MD was the downfall.  Funny you keep bringing stuff up like this when this is the team's first loss when the game is decided within 6 points. 

We actually did have something to play for.  We had two things to play for.  One: A higher seed.  Two: Making the BIG Championship game in our first season in a new conference. Looks like that 3 seed wasn't such a lock.

I can admit that MD has exceeded expectations. 27-6 is a very good record. I still think that we have been extremely lucky to have that record as I think the team isn't as good as what their record indicates, but to their credit, they've pulled out a lot of wins where it didn't look like they would. I realize that we had 5 guys transfer out and that had a HUGE impact on the team.  The one guy that I wish we could have kept was Seth Allen.  His leadership, ability to score and the fact that he could play backup PG would have helped a ton. 

I still think we are a soft team.  We really have no inside presence on offense or on the boards. I think we get into a bombs away rut too often.  I'd like to see us recruit a couple of bangers that can go down low and set the tone on the boards.  We also need a backup PG. We look lost out there without Melo.

I know they are a good team and I don't deny it. I guess I'm just getting too picky in my old age.  I crave "one" championship from one of my teams and I've been too hyper-critical of all my teams.  Been 23 years since I've had one of my pro teams win a championship and 13 years since one of my college teams (I root for MD and Memphis-my alma mater) win one.  I'm exausted.

How can folks really post this crap about 'not being as good as your record'.

Actually, your record, over the whole season, is about how good they are.  The real issue is that most people expected them to not be as good, and that has carried through all season.  They were't supposed to be as good as they are, so they get jobbed due to expectations, not on the court results.

Thanks Bill Parcells.

You hit the nail on the head.  They exceeded expectations, but I still feel that they were on the cusp of losing a lot of the games they won. But since they did win them, they should have been seeded a 3 seed. 

But, my only expecation was a Sweet 16 appearance, which hasn't changed.  I think anything short of 2 wins, will be a major dissapointment.

• Like 1

We actually did have something to play for.  We had two things to play for.  One: A higher seed.  Two: Making the BIG Championship game in our first 

I still think we are a soft team.  We really have no inside presence on offense or on the boards. I think we get into a bombs away rut too often.  I'd like to see us recruit a couple of bangers that can go down low and set the tone on the boards.  We also need a backup PG. We look lost out there without Melo.

1.) Georgia Tech transfer Robert Carter Jr will be eligible next season. Your banger.

If he was playing this season Maryland would be a completely team.

2.) Jaylen Brantley-- The #1 Juco PG in the country will be available. (He has 3 years of eligibilty)

3.) Maryland is in the running for Diamond Stone (the top center in the country). Its a Wisconsin-Maryland battle.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Another thing hit me last night. MD finishes 2nd in the B1G regular season and gets the 16th overall seed.  I don't think the committee had a high opinion of the B1G this year as having elite teams.  They had good enough teams for 7 bids but not elite teams.  Kind of the downside of the move.  The 2nd team in the ACC never goes worse than 3, but is usually a 2,

1.) Georgia Tech transfer Robert Carter Jr will be eligible next season. Your banger.

If he was playing this season Maryland would be a complete team.

2.) Jaylen Brantley-- The #1 Juco PG in the country will available. (He has 3 years of eligibilty)

3.) Maryland is in the running for Diamond Stone (the top center in the country). Its a Wisconsin-Maryland battle.

Thank goodness.  I'm so glad you are up on the recruiting scene.  Makes my anxieties about things like this less. I remember you talking about Diamond Stone before.

MD ranked 14th overall. I think seeding after the 1st seed doesn't go by ranking.

This whole 'everyone is 0-0' is an overused, stupid statement.  The same can be said in November, but everyone knows that Kentucky is far better than Valpo.

The truth is that UMD is ranked #14, but treated like a 18 or so team.  Yes they won close games, but that is the point.  The WON the games.  The beat ISU, on its home court, this season.  

The worst part is they are the lowest of the 4 seeds (GT, really, GT - they are awful to the eye when you try to watch them).

Entire time Lunardi and other 'experts' had them as a mid-3 seed.  4th, in this bracket, is getting screwed.

while I think Maryland got screwed, the rankings do not determine where teams are seeded.

Rankings are done by media members and coaches, ie the people not in the room on selection Sunday.

Lets stop using the rankings as a basis, thats all.

Thank goodness.  I'm so glad you are up on the recruiting scene.  Makes my anxieties about things like this less. I remember you talking about Diamond Stone before.

More info about the incoming recruits:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2014/10/20/junior-college-point-guard-jaylen-brantley-commits-to-maryland/

Junior college point guard Jaylen Brantley commits to Maryland

Odessa (Tex.) Community College point guard Jaylen Brantley committed to Maryland Monday morning, according to a source close to his recruitment process. The verbal pledge comes after Brantley took his official visit in College Park this weekend, and marks the first commitment for Maryland’s class of 2015.

The 5-foot-11 Brantley was the top point guard target for Maryland, and will have three years of eligibility remaining once he joins the program next year. The Massachusetts native originally signed with Marshall out of high school (he also reportedly had offers from Florida,Virginia and Georgia Tech), but he never played a game with the Thundering Herd before transferring to Odessa for this upcoming season. He is a former AAU teammate of current Terrapins’ forward Jake Layman.

Brantley is a true point guard that Maryland coveted for its future, and Brantley expressed confidence in being able to facilitate in the Terrapins system. That includes playing alongside true freshman Melo Trimble, a natural scorer who is expected to carry the load at point this season.

“Talking to Coach Turgeon, he really thinks that me and [Trimble] can play off each other and be a good backcourt,” Brantley said. “[Trimble] can really score the ball and they want somebody that can complement him, get him the ball and get everybody involved … they have a lot of guards up there can really score it.

Click to read the rest

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/ncaa-maryland-terps/how-will-transfer-robert-carter-jr-change-marylands-offense

How will transfer Robert Carter Jr. change Maryland's offense?

Maryland pursued Robert Carter, Jr., in high school but was unable to sign him. The second time around, he’s now a Terrapin.

So what will Carter, Jr., bring once he’s eligible to play in 2015-16?

Most notably, he’s a double-double threat every night. He registered six double-doubles in 23 games last season and came less than two points or two rebounds shy in six others.

By comparison, Maryland as a team had six total double-doubles by points and rebounds last season.

Carter, Jr., packs a diverse offensive game with the ability to run the floor, post up, or face up on the block. His 47-percent mark from the field is a bit lower than the staff would likely want from a big. That number includes 52-percent shooting from inside the arc.

while I think Maryland got screwed, the rankings do not determine where teams are seeded.

Rankings are done by media members and coaches, ie the people not in the room on selection Sunday.

Lets stop using the rankings as a basis, thats all.

The NCAA Selection Committee had Maryland ranked 14. Not media or coaches.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25109120/ncaa-tournament-selection-committee-releases-1-68-ranking

But, I see other teams kind of in the same boat. If you go by the NCAA's own rankings, UVA should be the top overall #2 seed, and in the bracket with Wisconsin (the lowest 1 seed). But they got put in the same bracket as Villanova (2nd in the NCAA final rankings). You're right, rankings don't matter when they are seeding. Who knows what mysterious criteria decides who goes where. No use in crying over spilled milk though. 

I think this is a pretty good write up. 

http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/3/16/8219993/2015-ncaa-march-madness-bracket-midwest-region

• Like 1

Good find and you are right, a very good write-up.

I still maintain that UMD was expected to not be a good team (#10 in conference).  Most basketball folks have been repeating this all season - the fact Maryland somehow played above where they 'should be'.  I think they used the last loss to MSU as an excuse to put them down in a place more aligned with where they were predicted to finish.

What's the point of being 14 if they put you in the 16 slot? Louisville should have been the 4 in the MW and MD in the E.  In other words, the ranking is a crock.

• Like 2

Thanks Bill Parcells.

You hit the nail on the head.  They exceeded expectations, but I still feel that they were on the cusp of losing a lot of the games they won. But since they did win them, they should have been seeded a 3 seed. 

But, my only expecation was a Sweet 16 appearance, which hasn't changed.  I think anything short of 2 wins, will be a major disappointment.

Glad someone caught the Parcells reference.

Once it became apparent that MD would make the tournament, the above in bold was my thought exactly. Win 2 games, get the extra week for practice, but more importantly for exposure and potential help in recruiting.  The only real issue I have is a potential match vs WVU on a court that is much closer to WVU than to UMD.  That is really getting screwed.  Would have much preferred any of the other 3 potential 5 seeds (and I think 2 of them will lose to the 12 anyway).

So what's the scouting report on Valpo... What do they do well? who are their stars? Should we be worried about any individual player? Can they shoot the three?

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=12490543

Bryce Drew's team has lost just once since the beginning of February thanks to outstanding team defense and an ability to crash the offensive glass. Alec Peters and Vashil Fernandez have proven to be a very effective duo when it comes to erasing Crusaders misses, and Fernandez has doubled as an excellent rim protector. If the 6-foot-10 senior can stay on the floor and out of foul trouble, Valpo is a more effective team on both sides of the ball.

To be honest, do you think Maryland would be the #8 team if they were still in the ACC? I don't.  I really think them moving to a conference with more relaxed competition is why they are ranked so high.   I think Maryland got a generous seed. 

The ACC was top heavy but I'd argue that the B1G was stronger top to bottom.

We can only judge Maryland on how they played this year, against the opponents they played against.

Heck, I don't think Kentucky would have been undefeated if they played in the B1G/ACC but we can only judge them against the competition.

• Like 1

The ACC was top heavy but I'd argue that the B1G was stronger top to bottom.

We can only judge Maryland on how they played this year, against the opponents they played against.

Heck, I don't think Kentucky would have been undefeated if they played in the B1G/ACC but we can only judge them against the competition.

While I don't agree with your first point, I certainly 100% agree with your second point.  Cheers, Brave!

While I don't agree with your first point, I certainly 100% agree with your second point. Cheers, Brave!

I wish the B1G and the ACC could play each other in some sort of challenge so we could have some empirical data to prove/disprove these theories...
  • Like 2

I've said it in this thread perhaps.

The only thing that bugs me about the move is that the Terps should have scheduled Duke and UNC every season. None of the other teams were ever really rivals.

Huge for fans IMO.

I'm a Maryland grad that watches games with other Terps. At first it bothered us. Now we look at ND winning the ACC with Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Miami, VT in the conference and just shrug. The ACC is so different that what we miss doesn't exist anymore.

As far as Duke and UNC. I don't care if we never play either again. UNC sports should be shut down. Duke isn't going to play Maryland without ACC refs, so let that one go.

I've said it in this thread perhaps.

The only thing that bugs me about the move is that the Terps should have scheduled Duke and UNC every season. None of the other teams were ever really rivals.

Huge for fans IMO.

Coach K said he would never play MD again.