Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

As far as Duke and UNC. I don't care if we never play either again. UNC sports should be shut down. Duke isn't going to play Maryland without ACC refs, so let that one go.

I agree with that first part that I edited completely, as a MD grad also.  

The second part though...Perhaps since I live in NC now, I think there was a rivalry with those two teams over my life at least. Terps with Lefty against the Tarheels, Coach Williams vs. Coach K.

Coach K said he would never play MD again.

I remember reading that...seemed like a punk statement to me.

i'm not sure unc or duke would consider maryland rivals. 

Maybe not, I just know that I would love to see those matchups still because of the history.

To be honest, do you think Maryland would be the #8 team if they were still in the ACC? I don't.  I really think them moving to a conference with more relaxed competition is why they are ranked so high.   I think Maryland got a generous seed.

B1G has been stronger than the ACC the last 3 or 4 years.

Question for you guys. Since we are in a new conference and really haven't established rivalries, are you rooting for the rest of the Big 10 teams to go as far as possible? It was a given to root against a Duke and UNC in the ACC, but I feel like I'd like to see the conference do well as a whole. I rooted all Big 10 for the bowls.

I'm pulling for the Big 10 to crush everyone. I used to do the same with the ACC, mostly. The one exception is I am also pulling for VCU, so if someone's playing them, not so much. I've always kind of pulled for Michigan State come tourney time if they aren't playing the Terps. We still owe them a couple, but I like Tom Izzo. He and Gary Williams always reminded me of each other. as far as just coaching their asses off and getting the most out of their players.

Edit: Oh well, so much for that. Big 10 all the way.

Edited by SoulSkin

I rooted against every ACC team, at least the ones in NC and VA. The other ones were meh. But being in the B1G, I'm rooting for all those teams to do well. As stated, there is no real rival and no one to really hate (yet!). Especially for this tournament, since MD was just "lucky to pile up close wins in a bad conference" and couldn't pass the selection committee's "eye test", I'd love for the B1G to do great. The Big 12 was supposed to be so great and got all these great seeds, yet they suck so far. That causes me to pull even harder for the B1G teams.

Edited by Redskin4ever

Question for you guys. Since we are in a new conference and really haven't established rivalries, are you rooting for the rest of the Big 10 teams to go as far as possible? It was a given to root against a Duke and UNC in the ACC, but I feel like I'd like to see the conference do well as a whole. I rooted all Big 10 for the bowls.

yeah, i dont care about the other teams in the conference. I didnt care about the other teams in the ACC either. I only care about Maryland.

If all the B1G schools go home this weekend except Maryland, then im happy If all the B1G schools advance past this weekend except Maryland, im pissed.

I do not have conference pride

I sort of agree with you Joe.

I never rooted for conference teams in the ACC, this year I don't mind if they ( B1G ) win a few. I don't want Wisconsin or Michigan State to win it all though. I still root against some of the ACC teams though.

Edited by Kosher Ham

Never had a reason to root against Georgetown.

Why sir ?

I couldn't stand John Thompson. I think he's prick.  But I never rooted against G'Town.  The team never bothered me, but Thompson did. I like JT III.  I think he's good coach. 

yeah, i dont care about the other teams in the conference. I didnt care about the other teams in the ACC either. I only care about Maryland.

If all the B1G schools go home this weekend except Maryland, then im happy If all the B1G schools advance past this weekend except Maryland, im pissed.

I do not have conference pride

Over the years, I especially wanted to see UNC and Duke lost no matter what.  Other teams in the ACC never bothered me too much, but I didn't openly root for them to win and really didn't want them to win it all.  We are trying to start a football rivalry with PSU, but I really hope we can grow to have a rivalry with some of the BB teams like Michigan St., Indiana, OSU and Wisconsin.  I believe with us, those are the teams that are going to be the better teams in the BIG year in a year out. I guess I have a little conference pride because it's so new. 

I definately rooted for OSU to beat Bama.  But if Oregon had have beaten OSU in the title game, it wouldn't have bothered me. Once Bama was out, I really didn't care.  Maybe in a few years I won't want OSU to win it all. Haha.

I sort of agree with you Joe.

I never rooted for conference teams in the ACC, this year I don't mind if they ( B1G ) win a few. I don't want Wisconsin or Michigan State to win it all though. I still root against some of the ACC teams though.

Kinda in the same place.  While I want us as a conference to do well, I hope some obscure team besides Kentucky win it.  Like Arizona. I think how well all teams do in regards to the tournament is important to recruiting.  Players want to not only go to a high profile team, but a high profile college.  The SEC is know for football, so other than Kentucky, the conference is garbage.

Same with the bowl games.  The BIG was thought of as the weakest of the big 5, so I wanted all our teams to win their bowl games to change the perception of the conference as being weak.  OSU was a bonus for the conference when it was all said and done.

Thanks for the responses guys.  Appreciate it.

PJ - just out of curiousity, what makes you dislike John Thompson but like his son and think that he is a good coach?

Im of the exact opposite opinion.  John Thompson was old and crotchety but he accomplished quite a bit, putting Gtown basketball on the map aside.  JT3 appears to be the beneficiary of his dad's name and really has fallen short over the years.  Anyone not named John Thompson would have probably been looking for a new job after their tournament failures.

To stay on topic, how is everyone else feeling about the Valpo matchup this afternoon?  I really hope we don't come out dead in the water.  That screenshot of the teams reaction to their seeding told a story.  It told a story of a team that felt slighted.  Let's hope they play with a chip on their shoulder instead of playing dead.

Valpo can knock down 3 and they have a big.  That scares me a lot.  

Ditto. I think this should be a tough game. Also, it was a trendy 1st round upset pick. Good thing is I think the Terps know Valpo is really good and will have to be on their game. After watching the games yesterday, that should be even clearer. Seems like it may be a little bit of an advantage to play on the second day.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Four-Questions-Maryland-vs-Valparaiso-36287868

"Valparaiso isn’t your typical mid-major. It starts three players taller than 6-foot-7 and its biggest strength is its rebounding. Maryland, meanwhile, has struggled on the glass, especially against quicker or more physical teams. It ranked ninth out of 14 Big Ten teams on the boards. If the Crusaders were to beat Maryland, it seems the recipe would start with out-rebounding the Terps."

Edited by SoulSkin

PJ - just out of curiousity, what makes you dislike John Thompson but like his son and think that he is a good coach?

Im of the exact opposite opinion. John Thompson was old and crotchety but he accomplished quite a bit, putting Gtown basketball on the map aside. JT3 appears to be the beneficiary of his dad's name and really has fallen short over the years. Anyone not named John Thompson would have probably been looking for a new job after their tournament failures.

To stay on topic, how is everyone else feeling about the Valpo matchup this afternoon? I really hope we don't come out dead in the water. That screenshot of the teams reaction to their seeding told a story. It told a story of a team that felt slighted. Let's hope they play with a chip on their shoulder instead of playing dead.

JT was a great coach. He did so much to put Georgtown on the map. He did a lot of work in the area of civil rights and getting college BB to notice that great coaches can be of another color. I think my biggest problem with him is, when listening to him in interviews over the years, his attitude just rubs me the wrong way. I just think he's an asshole, understandably with all things he had to overcome in his life. After all he's been through, I get the feeling (just my own feeling and it may not be true) he doesn't appreciate how things have turned out. I don't know, it's difficult for me to put my finger on it.

I said JT III was a "good" coach, not great, like his father. Craig Esherick pretty much rode JTs coattails after he retired and the program was on its way down. I think JT III has done well to bring the program back up into the upper crust of programs. Still has a ways to go, but they are a lot better team.

Edited by pjfootballer

I'm always worried about Tournament games. the fact that Valpo has a big and can shoot the 3, is scary. But that's like 90% of the teams MD played this year. I just hope MD can grab defensive rebounds and not give up 2nd chance points. There's nothing worse than playing good D, getting the guy to miss s tough shot, then giving up an offensive rebound that's kicked out for an open 3.