Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Cowan's D and quickness to stay with his guy off screens is amazing to watch. 

----------------

Terps (15-2) who beat Illini (12-5) by 25 points 2 weeks ago ....... are the underdog  according to KenPom. 

I trust KenPom as a predictor .. hope they are wrong. Saw some of the Illini-Michigan game and Illini was making circus shots (shooting over 60%) that wont go down tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Cowan's D and quickness to stay with his guy off screens is amazing to watch. 

----------------

Terps (15-2) who beat Illini (12-5) by 25 points 2 weeks ago ....... are the underdog  according to KenPom. 

I trust KenPom as a predictor .. hope they are wrong. Saw some of the Illini-Michigan game and Illini was making circus shots (shooting over 60%) that wont go down tomorrow. 

This will be a good test for the guys. You know Illinois is gonna come in with something to prove after that shellacking they took at Xfinity. Gotta be ready to go from the tip, and settle into their own game.

Sounds like Cheka will be missing this one also. Hope he gets back soon, they're going to need him through the meat of the schedule. That Wisconsin team is BIG, and OSU, MSU, Iowa, Purdue, Penn St., Northwestern, and Minnesota are all teams that can take the Terps on any given night.

That, and watching Bender and Gill try to play with the big boys is giving me (more) gray hairs.

Men terps bball team visited the new AA Museum in DC. Looks like another top notch Smithsonian addition. You may have seen it on that TV special a few weeks ago called "african stories" or something along those lines. I was loving the show until they came to the "go go" portion and tried to blend DC native Dave Grohl and go go ..... didnt work, didnt hear the distinctive go go beat until the end.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/terrapins-insider/wp/2017/01/16/maryland-basketball-enjoys-touching-visit-to-african-american-museum/?utm_term=.31a8e2a24f39

Big game tonight. I hate Iowa for some reason.  

• Like 1

Chance to run away with this one, then in typical Terp fashion, guys try and dribble through the zone, and turn it over. Turgeon puts a ridiculous lineup on the floor, and LG Gill just keeps on sucking.

13 point lead down to 3 just like that,

Cheka, Cheka PLEASE come back soon! I'm afraid that if I have to watch much more of Bender and Gill my head will explode.

Also, will somebody kick Dodd in the shin before the game to make him meaner. Guy with his size and athleticism should be a much better rebounder.

Of course, with Steratore and his crew, no way to get a fair shake. Twice as many fouls called against Terps. Ridiculous.

Edited by Long n Left

Great resiliency by the team tonight. They had to overcome some of their own stupid plays and some awful officiating. I loved the execution when they had to retake the lead. That was great ball movement to get the shots for Melo. I prefer that much more than having him dribble and try to hoist up a 3 or throw up a shot over 2 guys. The offense came to him in those moments and he capitalized.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

this is the best Mark Turegon team at Maryland.  This team would smoke last year's team

I consider this to be his 1st team with completely his guys playing the way he wants to play.  They are playing so much better now than 1 month ago.  Melo is embracing his role as shooting guard.  Cowan looks lost sometimes and still produces.  When he finds himself, look out.  This team has a good shot at Elite 8. 

Bohannon - i dont like to single out college kids negatively, but Iowa has a big prob on their hands bc he cant guard quick guards. He was an absolute liability on D. They cannot play man D with him in there bc melo/cowan type players will breeze right by him. They have to play zone to protect him and its tough to have 1 player basically handicap your D. 

beating zone D - turgeon said it early in the season when we were struggling against zone that our guys will start making shoots and stretching zone and making teams pay for playing zone ... and he was right (at least for last night.) I still think if a team wants to slow us down or change MO, they just switch to 1-3-1 zone and take advantage of the few mins it takes for us to adjust. Last nights adjustment was automatic and it was awesome to see. 

Melo - he won that game for us. huge back to back 3s under 3 mins. ESPN was giving melo and the terps so much national attention love. 

Nickens - such a clutch 3. only contribution offensively. I want to like Jared and I feel bad for him and his diminished role but he needs to control his body better, he just commits these unnecessary head scratching fouls away from the ball. Like he doesnt focus. I do wonder is he smokes before the game. I know terrance morris and others did back in the day for a fact. 

dodd - foul trouble strikes again. he never got into the flow of the game. We really need Chek back. 

no games this weekend, next game at home against Rutgers. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

this is the best Mark Turegon team at Maryland.  This team would smoke last year's team

Hold your horses there a bit. I like this team because they play together as a team, and although Melo is the one individual that will try and do too much himself, they can overcome when the rest of the guys play together, or when Melo has a (rare lately) good shooting night, like last night.

Last year's team was WAY more talented than this one, and would hammer this team inside. The Terps have been lucky this year to have a down B1G, and to have an easy early conference schedule. 

After the Rutgers game, they've got 8 games (5 on the road) against some of the better conference teams, before getting Iowa and Rutgers again, then MSU in the finale. Their schedule is beneficial in that they only face Wisconsin, Purdue, MSU, Penn St., Indiana, and Northwestern only once each this season. Those are the top half B1G teams.

I like what this team is accomplishing, and LOVE the 3 freshmen. I still maintain that this will be a better team next year with Melo gone, Bruno the bruiser inside to help Cheka, and, hopefully, another shooter. 

Also, I can't believe that Turgeon was saying that Gill was his #1 priority signing last offseason...that guy should not sniff the floor once Cheka gets back. You can't spell LG Gill without B-U-M.

Edited by Long n Left

36 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Also, I can't believe that Turgeon was saying that Gill was his #1 priority signing last offseason...that guy should not sniff the floor once Cheka gets back. You can't spell LG Gill without B-U-M.

Dude .... we are talking about college kids playing for free and a fellow terp ..  why would you call any college player a bum. Iowa fans were calling Md players punks and called our 3 freshmen punks last night in a game where there was 0 hostility. Older guys being blow hards to college players never sat well with me. 

Gill was a big part of a win a few games ago. Gill will contribute to wins in the future. I believe Gill committed to us before we flipped Jackson from oregon/unlv? or wherever he was going. If we didnt land Jackson, Gill would probably be starting. Tough to play well when you get spot minutes. Having Gill is a luxury imo. Imagine if we didnt land Gill and Jackson bc that was a real possibility for a moment .... micah thomas might be playing (is he red shirting?). 

Even little parts are important to the running of the machine. Gill plays a part. He is spending his final year of eligibility playing in a diminished role that I dont think he anticipated. 

6 hours ago, KingGibbs said:

Love this team! The future looks bright!

I know we disagreed much of last season in relation to the team, as I felt like some adjustments by the coach would have led to a greener pasture, and they came up short.  So I was very disappointed by last years performance.

Total 180 for me with this years team.  I love watching this group and couldn't be more excited about these freshman.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Hold your horses there a bit. I like this team because they play together as a team, and although Melo is the one individual that will try and do too much himself, they can overcome when the rest of the guys play together, or when Melo has a (rare lately) good shooting night, like last night.

Last year's team was WAY more talented than this one, and would hammer this team inside. The Terps have been lucky this year to have a down B1G, and to have an easy early conference schedule. 

After the Rutgers game, they've got 8 games (5 on the road) against some of the better conference teams, before getting Iowa and Rutgers again, then MSU in the finale. Their schedule is beneficial in that they only face Wisconsin, Purdue, MSU, Penn St., Indiana, and Northwestern only once each this season. Those are the top half B1G teams.

I like what this team is accomplishing, and LOVE the 3 freshmen. I still maintain that this will be a better team next year with Melo gone, Bruno the bruiser inside to help Cheka, and, hopefully, another shooter. 

Last year's team might be talented but they had 0 idea how to play together.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Dude .... we are talking about college kids playing for free and a fellow terp ..  why would you call any college player a bum. Iowa fans were calling Md players punks and called our 3 freshmen punks last night in a game where there was 0 hostility. Older guys being blow hards to college players never sat well with me. 

Gill was a big part of a win a few games ago. Gill will contribute to wins in the future. I believe Gill committed to us before we flipped Jackson from oregon/unlv? or wherever he was going. If we didnt land Jackson, Gill would probably be starting. Tough to play well when you get spot minutes. Having Gill is a luxury imo. Imagine if we didnt land Gill and Jackson bc that was a real possibility for a moment .... micah thomas might be playing (is he red shirting?). 

Even little parts are important to the running of the machine. Gill plays a part. He is spending his final year of eligibility playing in a diminished role that I dont think he anticipated. 

Sorry if you think that I was harsh on the guy, but Turgeon crowed all off season about him, and how big a get this was. I didn't know anything about him, but he came from a solid basketball school where he averaged over 10 points and 6 boards a game. He's a 5th year, so with that and Turgeon's accolades, I was expecting a leader, and a solid, polished product who was going to be an every night factor.

Now I've played, coached, and refereed a LOT of basketball in my day, and I'm just calling it like I see it. Gill is a woeful defender, had no explosion, and seems lost on the court more often than not. I had expected much more.

All 3 first year guys look far more settled, mature, and explosive in their games than this 5th year senior. Bender is just a guy with a little size, but at least he gives effort every night...even if he has trouble making a layup. With Gill, I am not seeing consistent effort on an every night basis, and he doesn't seem to be gelling with the team. He's playing because Turgeon has no one else with any size outside of two project freshmen and non scholarship players.

When Cekovsky gets fit, I would be surprised if Gill sees the court in the regular rotation. Maybe he needs to be repositioned, as he had okay numbers from behind the arc at Duquesne, and might be more valuable as a stretch 4. Right now, in his current roll, he is providing little to the team outside of minutes when Dodd gets in foul trouble.

I'm excited for this team as they seem to be coming together, but the meat of their schedule lies ahead, and if they are to be competitive in the B1G race, they're gonna need a healthy Cekovsky.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Long n Left said:

No chemistry at all on last year's team.  And I will take Justin Jackson over Stone or Carter all day.  7 player averaging around 4 boards this year as opposed to 5 last year.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Big game tonight. Melo is sick and might not play. Wiley and Chek are game time. Would love to see Wiley get some minutes, I just dont know what a healthy Wiley brings, he was a top 100 recruit. 

I'm really hoping Cekovsky is back. He adds a much needed dimension to this team, and he needs some games to get him up to speed for tournament time.

Not big on Wiley. Heard so much last preseason about how improved he was, then bam, out for year. Hopes were high for him this season and he just isn't bringing much. His shot doesn't look smooth at all, and he hasn't been an effective slasher because his ball handling is sub par. Nickens has shown some glimpses lately. Now HE could be a big factor if that shot starts falling like two years ago.

Be interested to see how they fare if Melo isn't in the lineup. Still maintain that they'll be better without him next year. Of course, that's assuming that Bruno is the Man- child he's being reported to be.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Long n Left said:

I'm really hoping Cekovsky is back. He adds a much needed dimension to this team, and he needs some games to get him up to speed for tournament time.

Not big on Wiley. Heard so much last preseason about how improved he was, then bam, out for year. Hopes were high for him this season and he just isn't bringing much. His shot doesn't look smooth at all, and he hasn't been an effective slasher because his ball handling is sub par. Nickens has shown some glimpses lately. Now HE could be a big factor if that shot starts falling like two years ago.

Be interested to see how they fare if Melo isn't in the lineup. Still maintain that they'll be better without him next year. Of course, that's assuming that Bruno is the Man- child he's being reported to be.

Wiley - im not giving up on him. he has been so injured and has missed so much time that Im not holding it against him bc he looks rusty or out of rhythm when he did play a few games this year. Like Gill, I think and hope Wiley will contribute at some point this year to some wins. He did make some 3s this year. I dont think he protects the ball well when he has it but he ha splayed so few mins that its hard to gauge him.

Cowan - back to back tough games for him. Against Iowa he would seem to drive with no pre determined plan and would turn the ball over or he wouldnt have an outlet pass when the D collapsed on him. Kinda like what teams do to melo.

Melo - thank goodness for Melo the last 2 games. IMO he was the diff btw losing and losing against Iowa and Rutgers. With cowan struggling, I didnt see a lot of cowan with the ball for the final 10 mins of last nights game. I wonder if he is hitting wall due to fatigue, freshman in college, not used to long travelling to games. 

Jackson - I think Turgs need to run some set plays for him. He also was driving the lane last night with no real predetermined plan and was hoping that by just driving the lane something would happen. 

great win last night. 

I see us losing on saturday against Minny at the Barn. Or we step up and play well.