Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'd check your rankings again.  Also, I'm sorry, I don't want to rain on your parade, but that graph is citing the 247sports ranking which measures both quality and quantity.  Maryland has 26 recruits right now and Penn State (who is now ahead of them as of a few hours ago) only has 17.  Washington, who is one spot behind Maryland by a few points, only has 14 recruits.  Maryland's average per recruit is the second lowest of all schools in the top 20 of the rankings, ahead of only Colorado.

I mean, I know Durkin has to start somewhere, but this is clearly padded.  I'd much rather have 15 4-star guys coming in over 25 3-star guys.

As far as Spence's tweet, I think Ohio State might have something to say, considering they have two higher ranked D-Tackles coming in than anyone going to UMD.  Penn State has one that is higher rated, and second potentially.  As far as who is going to block them...I'd say all the highly rated O-Linemen that come from farm, coal, and railroad country will do a good job, or does he need to be reminded of the scores of some of Maryland's games last season when they hit the meat of the Big Ten schedule?  They still need to adjust to kids like Wisconsin's man-children before they say anything.

Sorry, it hasn't necessarily been here, but living in this area, I know a number of Maryland grads and heard nothing but Durkin this, Durkin that, DMV2UMD, The Movement, all that stuff.  This isn't the first time I've heard talk about the recruiting class either, many with seemingly no awareness that volume is contributing substantially to that ranking.

I mentioned multiple Big Ten schools, not just Penn State.  And yes, after hearing from Maryland people in this area about having to watch out, and now having to hear about their recruiting class (note, I'm not referring to just this thread) yeah, I had to let it out a bit.

Best of luck to you in your bowl game.  I actually root for pretty much all Big Ten teams this time around.  Conference supremacy and all that.

29 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I mentioned multiple Big Ten schools, not just Penn State.  And yes, after hearing from Maryland people in this area about having to watch out, and now having to hear about their recruiting class (note, I'm not referring to just this thread) yeah, I had to let it out a bit.

Best of luck to you in your bowl game.  I actually root for pretty much all Big Ten teams this time around.  Conference supremacy and all that.

So basically, you intentionally came in this threat to troll Maryland fans?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

So basically, you intentionally came in this threat to troll Maryland fans?

Well, I'm sure he meant no dis-respect:

12 hours ago, Forehead said:

... <whatever>

Sorry, it hasn't necessarily been here, but living in this area, I know a number of Maryland grads and heard nothing but Durkin this, Durkin that, DMV2UMD, The Movement, all that stuff.  This isn't the first time I've heard talk about the recruiting class either, many with seemingly no awareness that volume is contributing substantially to that ranking.

The fact is that UMd talent has gone down in the past several years and they need lots of new guys in to rebuild the program (like say, PSU after the revelations that 'St. Joe' knew about the attacks, did nothing, and eventually the program lost many players/recruits, but hey, I didn't need to remind you of that, you already know that).  The rankings are what they are, and if you don't like hearing about it, don't listen to it (or your 'friends').  If the rankings really still upset you, maybe you can get money to demand a recount.

Lastly, we really don't have any problem with folks from other schools coming here, as long as they are respectful, even if they disagree.  Your post was mostly just a rant about why you are so upset that UMD is ranked above PSU.  If that is so important to you, how about creating your own PSU thread and post away.  Otherwise, to be quite frank, I don't care one bit about how you feel about the rankings or UMD overall (and I bet no one else here does, either).

Edited by btfoom
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Forehead said:

You are generally right.  But MD going from 2's and 3's to 3's and 4's is cause for commotion.  And quite honestly, outside of the 5's, the rest are a crapshoot that need to be coached up.  How this class ranks compared to the rest of the NCAA will play out in the next 4 years.  There is no debate that it is the best class MD has had in decades, and maybe ever.  And one of them is a real deal QB.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2016 at 10:29 PM, Forehead said:

I'd check your rankings again.  Also, I'm sorry, I don't want to rain on your parade, but that graph is citing the 247sports ranking which measures both quality and quantity.  Maryland has 26 recruits right now and Penn State (who is now ahead of them as of a few hours ago) only has 17.  Washington, who is one spot behind Maryland by a few points, only has 14 recruits.  Maryland's average per recruit is the second lowest of all schools in the top 20 of the rankings, ahead of only Colorado.

I mean, I know Durkin has to start somewhere, but this is clearly padded.  I'd much rather have 15 4-star guys coming in over 25 3-star guys.

As far as Spence's tweet, I think Ohio State might have something to say, considering they have two higher ranked D-Tackles coming in than anyone going to UMD.  Penn State has one that is higher rated, and second potentially.  As far as who is going to block them...I'd say all the highly rated O-Linemen that come from farm, coal, and railroad country will do a good job, or does he need to be reminded of the scores of some of Maryland's games last season when they hit the meat of the Big Ten schedule?  They still need to adjust to kids like Wisconsin's man-children before they say anything.

You might want to check YOUR rankings. If you go back a few months even when Maryland's class was much smaller (13-14 commits), they've consistently been in the low 20's to low teens in the rankings. And yeah, I'll be the first to admit that Maryland's class is boosted by the large number....but so what?

2016's class was relatively small (16 commits), enabling us to take a large class this season. Also, there's expected to be a few players transferring after the season....also contributing to the large class. Basically, DJ is getting his guys in and some of Edsall's guys will be moving on.

People aren't excited just because Maryland has some 3* recruits. It's the caliber of players. These aren't Edsall -level 3*s

And fwiw. I suspect  a few more 4*s and possibly a 5* will be committing in the near future. Is that better?

Honestly, after reading your post for the second time you come across as being really insecure.

I mean if you feel that way why would you care that a few Maryland fans are excited about the recruiting class DJ is putting together.

I mean you root for PSU. You guys are "Unrivaled" etc etc...so you say constantly.

You think an OSU fan would care that Maryland fans are excited? Heck no.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, btfoom said:

Ummm, No.

DeMatha would beat the lady Terps.

They ladies just aren't athletic enough to keep up.  No offense, just the truth.

To add to this.

Years ago, when I was living in the area, 2 friends of mine and I would go down to the Smith Center to workout and play some basketball. On a few occasions, we played 3 on 3 against GW girls. One was the CAA player of the year, one big, and a guard.

We were in our early 20s, I was an okay HS player (6'2"), but neither of my buddies played HS ball. One was 6', was a decent player, and the other 5'10", not much of a player, but a good athlete. The girls were 6'2", 5'11" (POY), and 5'6".

We beat them EVERY time. A number of the games were close, but our speed, quickness, and size would always win out. My buddy always wanted to check the POY girl, but when she'd start to get off on him, I'd take her, and shut her down.

Now, I've seen and coached a number of good girls players, a few playing college ball, and my daughter played on two-time NC HS State Champs, but a decent guy will always beat a good girl. That size/speed thing is too much to overcome.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I dated a division III womens basketball player in college .. she would beat me every time. Jumpers and over the shoulder hooks. 

Even at my advanced age, when my daughter and I would play one-on-one, I'd still beat her. She's almost 6 ft. and is a good ladies player, definitely could have played DII or DIII, but I would just back her down and score at will when I needed to. Oh yeah, I can still knock it down from the outside, just can't jump...as if I could before.

Wish they had a 3 pt. line when I played. Would have averaged a couple more a game, I'm sure. Oops, did I just date myself? :)

• Like 1