Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

10 hours ago, ksun247 said:

That was a good win. Was wondering why MD guards didn't push the tempo earlier. But it all worked out and we got the win. Hoyas are gonna be decent too, but they choked this one away.

This is what I've been saying from the get go. 

Last year they were loaded with bigs, the high pick n roll was a natural offensive set to take advantage of their size, and Melo's ability to get to the basket. This year they're young, smaller, and athletic, with a bunch of guys who have good handles. They can also go 11-12 deep on their bench. The natural progression would be to press, up the tempo, and try to get easy bucket, and/or kick for open 3's.

Last night we saw the same high pick n roll as last year. Fine at the end of a close game when you want Melo to create, but I don't think it plays to this team's strength throughout the course of a full game.

I hope Turgeon opens things up next few games against the weak sisters, or I'll continue my lament: Great recruiter, mediocre (at best) gameday coach.

• Like 1

FT Made-Attempted 17-22 37-42

The FT discrepancy was out of control. Im guessing the win percent for such a one sided game is below 10%. 

Chris Nochi made a good point. Compared to ACC refs, Big 10 refs are not as good. Last night was a Big 10 crew. I think Big 10 crews call to many off-the-ball touch calls that dont impact a play in any way. 

Loved all 3 freshman, as good as advertised.  Huerter was my favorite player even before the block.  He looks like a shooter who can actually shoot instead of a shooter in name only which has been a pattern around here.  But I wasn't expecting that type of defense, he played it well all game.  Our junior class of Nickens, Brantley and Ceko are simply not Big 10 players, maybe not even D1 players.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Loved all 3 freshman, as good as advertised.  Huerter was my favorite player even before the block.  He looks like a shooter who can actually shoot instead of a shooter in name only which has been a pattern around here.  But I wasn't expecting that type of defense, he played it well all game.  Our junior class of Nickens, Brantley and Ceko are simply not Big 10 players, maybe not even D1 players.  

Disagree with you on the juniors. They ain't world beaters, but Cekovsky was really green when he came 2 years ago, and is still developing. Hope he played tons of offseason pickup games, he just needs to improve his feel and instincts. You can't coach height, and at 7'1" and pretty darn athletic for that size, he provides what this team lacks, size. Hopefully he gets fit soon. I think he could be a big surprise this year.

Nickens is just rushing his shot for some reason this year. Kid can shoot. He just needs to be a bit more patient, and get his feet set. He'll never be a slasher, he's a spot up shooter, and when he gets it going, he helps spread the floor.

Brantley is the guy to give Cowan and Melo a blow. Solid harassing front court defender, and can knock down a 3 if you lose him on offense. I think that if he'd gone to a mid-major program, he could be a starter getting double digit points and 5-6 dimes per game.

3 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Disagree with you on the juniors. They ain't world beaters, but Cekovsky was really green when he came 2 years ago, and is still developing. Hope he played tons of offseason pickup games, he just needs to improve his feel and instincts. You can't coach height, and at 7'1" and pretty darn athletic for that size, he provides what this team lacks, size. Hopefully he gets fit soon. I think he could be a big surprise this year.

Nickens is just rushing his shot for some reason this year. Kid can shoot. He just needs to be a bit more patient, and get his feet set. He'll never be a slasher, he's a spot up shooter, and when he gets it going, he helps spread the floor.

Brantley is the guy to give Cowan and Melo a blow. Solid harassing front court defender, and can knock down a 3 if you lose him on offense. I think that if he'd gone to a mid-major program, he could be a starter getting double digit points and 5-6 dimes per game.

I understand bigs take time to develop but Cheko hasn't really shown much development.  He has clearly been passed by Bender who came into the season as a great unknown.  Even with all the foul trouble the other night Checko never left the bench, that's another bad sign.  This is year 3 and by now we should have an idea who he is.  To me the freshman are so much better than the juniors, even this early, that they should and will get the bulk of the minutes. 

If you want to talk about the junior class you need to add Trimble and Wiley. Wiley needs time to get back in shape physically and mentally. So far he looks a bit lost out there and his shot is off. Nickens has been a spot up shooter his entire career. I'd like to see him add another element to his game whether it is slashing, dribbling, or posting up. 

I can't be too hard on Cekovsky because he has been out but I think he can add a lot as long as he defends and rebounds. He's got a little hook shot in the paint. And Brantley is just Brantley he is a back up PG who can bring the ball up the court and his a shot every once and a while.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I understand bigs take time to develop but Cheko hasn't really shown much development.  He has clearly been passed by Bender who came into the season as a great unknown.  Even with all the foul trouble the other night Checko never left the bench, that's another bad sign.  This is year 3 and by now we should have an idea who he is.  To me the freshman are so much better than the juniors, even this early, that they should and will get the bulk of the minutes. 

Cekovsky is hurt. That's why he's not playing. May be another game or two before he's back. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Remember the mass exodus and the crying about it a couple of years ago.  Those 3 you mentioned were better than those who left, so it gives you some idea of the level of the team Turgeon inherited and the level of recruits he could get.  No more.  

I am still shaking my head as to why Robert Carter left (unless he was told to by the coaching staff).  He might be a lottery pick playing with this team.

5 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Remember the mass exodus and the crying about it a couple of years ago.  Those 3 you mentioned were better than those who left, so it gives you some idea of the level of the team Turgeon inherited and the level of recruits he could get.  No more.  

I am still shaking my head as to why Robert Carter left (unless he was told to by the coaching staff).  He might be a lottery pick playing with this team.

Robert was aware he might not be drafted.

After having been in college 4 years (transfer rule) he was just ready to start making a living playing ball.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Robert was aware he might not be drafted.

After having been in college 4 years (transfer rule) he was just ready to start making a living playing ball.

Any idea how he's doing?  I really liked him last year and it would have been great having him back on this team.  Hoping he's doing well.

http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terrapins-basketball-recruiting/2016/11/16/13643142/trevon-duval-top-list-nope

Maryland had real interest in Duval, but it seemed like that waned in recent weeks. The Terps have had success on the recruiting trail recently, though, securing both commitments and signatures from four-star center Bruno Fernando and guard Darryl Morsell.

Those two actually fill up the Terps’ scholarship chart, as Maryland only has two seniors on its current roster. Should someone declare for the NBA Draft (read: Melo Trimble), then another spot would open up, but it’ll be a long while before Mark Turgeon can actually land another prospect.

----------------------

Damnit we also lost out on top 30 recruit DJ Harvey to Notre Dame. WTF?! A player from Dematha, 5 mins from College Park ... and we dont land him? 

19 hours ago, EBoz said:

This football team is ****ing horrible in every aspect of the game. Hard to watch. 

When you have no QB the entire team usually sucks.  True of every level.  I have no idea why MD can't even land an average QB.  Let's hope Kasim Hill changes that.

Have patience, Durkin inherited a ****-show. He's already got possibly the best recruiting class in Terps history coming in next year, and is pulling studs for 2018 now too.

Some tough injuries, and ****ty QB play have doomed this team, but they are still just a Rutgers win away from Bowl eligibility, which would be an amazing achievement for this group.

• Like 2