Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

24.7 sports has the terps as leaders to land no. 5 overall recruit Duvall (pg) and no. 22 overall dj harvey (sg). 

I dont know how much this plays into a HS kids decision, but I hope the Terps look good early and help influence their decisions. I know Diamond Stone dragged his announcement out and tweeted a positive terp message after we beat wisconsin 2 years ago. I do believe the terps playing well 2 seasons ago = stone commitment. 

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Bummed Cekovsky's not playing. As one of only 2 bigs with true experience, I'm hoping to see his development continue. Dude has some nice offensive moves, and is pretty athletic for 7' 1". If he learns better defensive positioning, and gets a little tougher, he could add a lot to this team.

American should pose no problem without he and Bender, Georgetown will be a completely different story.

Well, that was a sad, pathetic, terrible, horrible, crappy effort against a team that was 12-19 the year before.  Same problems as last year.  Can't hit a damn jump shot to save our lives and tons of turnovers.  Going to be another long year for this team. You can't beat American by only 6 points and expect to compete. Turgeon's ass needs to be on the hot seat.  Bull**** effort.  That's coaching.

- Too many turnovers.  First game so I'll give them a pass.  Really liked what I saw from Cowan, but he was out of control on a few plays.  I can see his potential though, nice handles.

- Trimble seems to be back to form.  I think that hamstring troubled him all last year.  He seems to have recuperated.  His explosiveness is back.

- Loved what I saw from Huerter.  He played fantastic defense all game, boxed out, and rebounded.  Hit two huge 3s as well. 

- Gill is a great addition to this team.  He plays smart and is strong.  Jackson hustled hard all game.  I like them both out there at the same time.

pj, I love you bro, but sometimes you overreact haha.  Turgeon shouldn't be on the hot seat at all.  I agree it was a bad effort and they should've been sharper.  But it was the first game of the season.

Also, I need to see more from Nickens.  His entire game is catch and shoot.  That's it.  And he usually misses.  I want to see him develop some ball handling and/or a slashing aspect to his game.

Edited by abdcskins

Watched first half, then was flipping between USMNT game.

Need Cekovsky back. He provides that interior option offensively, and should help their P n' R play by being able to finish above the rim. Whether he's gotten any better defensively, we'll see.

Dodd is the same guy as 3 years ago. A guy with his size and athletic ability should have progressed more over that span, IMO. Still can't set a proper pick to save his life.

Disappointed that Turgeon ran offense very similar to last year. He can go 11-12 deep on this team and has tons of good athletes. This team needs to push the ball at every opportunity. That can only help get guys like Nickens, Wiley, Huerter, and others open looks from 3 in transition.

First game, and a ton of young, new guys, so I'm not gonna freak about missed shots yet, but a transition game will get more shots at the rim and in open space, I believe.

• Like 1

UM Terps Men's soccer team, ranked #1 Nationally for another week, won their Big 10 Semi-Final match last night and will play Wisconsin tomorrow (Sunday) for the Big 10 title (would be thier 5th straight league tournament championship.

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=211291691

#1 TERPS SET FOR B1G TITLE MATCH SUNDAY

WESTFIELD, Ind. - Top-seeded Maryland takes on No. 3 Wisconsin with hopes of capturing a fifth straight league tournament championship Sunday at 2 p.m. at Grand Park in the 2016 Big Ten Men's Soccer Championship.

WATCH: Big Ten Network

SOCIAL: Follow @MarylandMSoccer on Twitter for in-game updates

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I can understand getting beat by better teams.  But why does MD always look so horrible against good teams. They couldn't beat Towson playing like this.

And the weekly, my kingdom for a decent QB.

Turgeon seems to be a great recruiter and a poor floor coach.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, abdcskins said:

- Too many turnovers.  First game so I'll give them a pass.  Really liked what I saw from Cowan, but he was out of control on a few plays.  I can see his potential though, nice handles.

- Trimble seems to be back to form.  I think that hamstring troubled him all last year.  He seems to have recuperated.  His explosiveness is back.

- Loved what I saw from Huerter.  He played fantastic defense all game, boxed out, and rebounded.  Hit two huge 3s as well. 

- Gill is a great addition to this team.  He plays smart and is strong.  Jackson hustled hard all game.  I like them both out there at the same time.

pj, I love you bro, but sometimes you overreact haha.  Turgeon shouldn't be on the hot seat at all.  I agree it was a bad effort and they should've been sharper.  But it was the first game of the season.

Also, I need to see more from Nickens.  His entire game is catch and shoot.  That's it.  And he usually misses.  I want to see him develop some ball handling and/or a slashing aspect to his game.

Well, we used this as an excuse last year (first game), but I saw many non top 25 teams blow out their opponents on opening night.  We have the talent, the coaching sucks.  He doesn't prepare them correctly and hasn't corrected flaws the team had last year.  Time will tell. I have zero expectations for them to do much this year.  They'll win 20, but won't do much after that. 

Terps Soccer team win's its 3rd straight Big 10 championship today, beating Wisconsin 2-1.

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=211294296

WESTFIELD, Ind. – Top-seeded Maryland defeated No. 3 seed Wisconsin, 2-1, in the 2016 Big Ten Men’s Soccer Championship on Sunday afternoon to win its fifth straight conference tournament crown.

Sophomores DJ Reeves and Sebastian Elney each scored as the Terps (18-0-2) moved their winning streak to 15 games, the longest stretch in program history. Maryland has not lost since falling to Ohio State in Columbus on Oct. 31, 2015 – a stretch of 25-straight matches. Sunday’s title was the third consecutive for Maryland since it joined the Big Ten Conference in 2014. It is the longest streak for a Big Ten team since Indiana won six in a row from 1994-1999.

Reeves, who made his first career start on the conference’s biggest stage Sunday, wasted little time getting Maryland on the board at 1:24 when he beat the keeper on the endline and shot from six yards to the left. Suli Dainkeh was credited with the long assist.

Wisconsin evened the score with a goal 10 minutes later. Christopher Mueller and Noah Leibold’s exchange set up the Tom Barlow score for a 1-1 match.

Elney gave Maryland the go-ahead goal with time waning in the first half. Jorge Calix’s corner kick provided the sophomore forward with the assist on the header from six yards for a 2-1 lead in the 43rd minute.

“This was another great team performance and once again we showed our resiliency,” head coach Sasho Cirovski said. “We showed our championship fiber. This is an absolutely remarkable accomplishment. With all the success that I’ve had, I’m still at a loss for words for the fifth conference championship in five years. I credit my staff and my players for their resiliency and class and for bringing it every single day.”

Sunday’s championship was Maryland’s 33rd league title overall and its ninth tournament championship.<rest at link>

Going back to the ACC, this is Maryland's 5th straight conference championship. As they say, "One for the Thumb".  Let's hope they can continue this into the NCAA tournament and bring home a National Championship.

Edited by btfoom
  • Like 2

Way to go Terps soccer! 5 straight conference championships! Awesome!

Now, let's do some damage in the NCAAs!

Also, nice 56 point drubbing of UMass-Lowell by Brenda's ladies in their opener. 11 girls played double digit minutes, the twelveth got 8. I'm tellin ya, these ladies could be scary good!

• Like 2