Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Training Camp Tweets feat. DC9 (Super Whatnot Gluton FREE Almond Milk Enriched edition)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp14/story/_/id/11315184/new-england-patriots-washington-redskins-show-achieved-dual-practices

5. Don't judge a defense going against Tom Brady: Redskins reporters and fans were wondering if their defense was going to stink this year while watching the practices against the Patriots. I heard the same thing last year when the Patriots scrimmaged the Eagles. Stop. Brady would make the Steel Curtain look bad in a dual practice. In seven-on-seven and team drills, Brady is unstoppable. Running a hurry-up practice offense, Brady balances smarts with accuracy. Opposing defenses don't have a chance.

Last year, he destroyed an Eagles defense even though he had three rookies among his main targets. The young receivers are still young, but Brady can get the ball to Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola on just about any play. No quarterback is better than hitting an underneath pass in the red zone that could be taken into the end zone. Gruden called it poetry in motion watching Brady throw in practice. It is an honor to watch such perfection

This John Clayton write up is perfect. def a great read. I think some need to slow down on every practice report. 

Here are the actual quotes from Keim on that point I brought up earlier. I'd also like to say that this is the one thing about Robert's game that frustrates me the most. He does tend to make bone-headed throws from time-to-time on "Scramble-drill" plays.

He didn't make bone-headed plays his rookie year.  4 TDs for every 1 INT.  Trust, you must the young Jedi. 

In practice, I don't want him stopping because some D lineman gets close.  Robert may escape that rush 20 - 60% of the time in a real game.  His WRs need to be prepared for Robert breaking free.  One other quote from coach was "... and then he does this in a game and we get a 70 yard gain and you are patting him on the back....." 

This John Clayton write up is perfect. def a great read. I think some need to slow down on every practice report. 

that maybe true but at the same time his reasoning doesnt make complete sense due to the fact that the Eagles werent the steel curtain. Brady carved them up and they went on to having one of teh worst defenses in the NFL last year. Im not a hater. I think we will win the division and be a legit threat in the NFC but just like I wont go overboard with everything great, I wont underrate every bad report. With that being said, I expect our pass rush to be devestating this year. I truly believe that we will get a ton of pressure that may not show up against a short passing team like NE or may not show up in practice because Brady is continuing plays that would be sacks.

Sad though to see so many qualified journalist seeming to have pom pom's on like everyhing is totally one sided. Im trusting the other reports more

Also for anyone who cares, Hatcher has been working off to the side during practice and staying after doing individual drills with trainers. He's looked very explosive in these drills. No noticeable hitch in his step or any sort of visible limp that I could see (I was watching extremely closely for it). Of course, no team drills yet but I think it's precaution. They want him to be 100% when he returns so he doesn't have any setbacks before we even get started.

I have heard talk of opening on PUP for Hatcher, no chance. Hard to gauge actual progress with no team drills but if I had to guess I'd say that if the regular season was about to kick off, Hatcher would've practiced and played. Can't say the same for Bowen or Hank.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp14/story/_/id/11315184/new-england-patriots-washington-redskins-show-achieved-dual-practices

5. Don't judge a defense going against Tom Brady: Redskins reporters and fans were wondering if their defense was going to stink this year while watching the practices against the Patriots. I heard the same thing last year when the Patriots scrimmaged the Eagles. Stop. Brady would make the Steel Curtain look bad in a dual practice. In seven-on-seven and team drills, Brady is unstoppable. Running a hurry-up practice offense, Brady balances smarts with accuracy. Opposing defenses don't have a chance.

Last year, he destroyed an Eagles defense even though he had three rookies among his main targets. The young receivers are still young, but Brady can get the ball to Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola on just about any play. No quarterback is better than hitting an underneath pass in the red zone that could be taken into the end zone. Gruden called it poetry in motion watching Brady throw in practice. It is an honor to watch such perfection

How dare Clayton post something well thought out and not just reactionary!

A couple nuggets from ESPN's Patriots reporter Mike Reiss:

Line of scrimmage: When the teams worked on pass-rush drills the first two days, my subjective charting had Washington with the edge on both lines. There has been a lot of positive buzz about the Patriots in this setting, and the team has practiced well overall, but the line of scrimmage is one area that perhaps has been a bit overlooked. Still anxious to see more and how all the pieces fit as the competition at center and right guard evolves, and if the Patriots can generate a bit more pass rush than we have seen here. 

Young receivers in focus: One Washington player who has flashed that I didn't know much about entering the joint practices is rookie receiver Ryan Grant, a fifth-round draft choice out of Tulane. He's 6-foot, 193 pounds and has made an early impression on the Washington coaching staff. He ran a 4.64 in the 40-yard dash in the pre-draft process, which is slow for a pass-catcher, but he is a reminder that 40 times don't always translate to the field. In turn, second-year Patriots receiver Josh Boyce had those great testing numbers coming out of Texas Christian but I'm still waiting for them to consistently show up on the field. He seems to be decisively behind Kenbrell Thompkins and Brandon LaFell in the 3-4-5-6 receiver cluster after Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola, who have looked terrific. 

that maybe true but at the same time his reasoning doesnt make complete sense due to the fact that the Eagles werent the steel curtain. Brady carved them up and they went on to having one of teh worst defenses in the NFL last year. Im not a hater. I think we will win the division and be a legit threat in the NFC but just like I wont go overboard with everything great, I wont underrate every bad report. With that being said, I expect our pass rush to be devestating this year. I truly believe that we will get a ton of pressure that may not show up against a short passing team like NE or may not show up in practice because Brady is continuing plays that would be sacks.

Sad though to see so many qualified journalist seeming to have pom pom's on like everyhing is totally one sided. Im trusting the other reports more

All im saying is just people have to chill with jumping to conclusions with just the up to the minute reporting where perspectives are limited by different biases and perceptions and really are knee jerky in nature. Gotta take it all with a grain of salt especially when reports are as mixed as they have been the last 3 days. Ill take full write ups over just tweets alone which only tell a limited story. 

A couple nuggets from ESPN's Patriots reporter Mike Reiss:

So that confuses me a bit.  We kept seeing tweets saying Brady always had a nice clean perfect pocket while RG3 was practically dodging tacklers left and right.

But now it's coming out that our d-line was beating their o-line, and was slowing up as to not hit the QB's?  So is this just Brady ignoring pocket pressure and stepping up as if his pocket should be clean (even when it's not)?  While RG3 is reacting to pressure?  I think this is another example why tweets just wind up confusing everyone.

Because right now I don't know what to think.

So that confuses me a bit.  We kept seeing tweets saying Brady always had a nice clean perfect pocket while RG3 was practically dodging tacklers left and right.

But now it's coming out that our d-line was beating their o-line, and was slowing up as to not hit the QB's?  So is this just Brady ignoring pocket pressure and stepping up as if his pocket should be clean (even when it's not)?  While RG3 is reacting to pressure?  I think this is another example why tweets just wind up confusing everyone.

It seems like both QB's are just doing what they would normally do when facing pressure during a game.  Brady obviously isn't going to scramble much so he sits in the pocket and throws no matter what, which I would imagine makes his pocket look better.  Griffin on the other hand has the ability to scramble in the games so he does, whether he also would have been sacked on the play, but if he leaves the pocket it makes our OL look worse than NE imo.

All im saying is just people have to chill with jumping to conclusions with just the up to the minute reporting where perspectives are limited by different biases and perceptions and really are knee jerky in nature. Gotta take it all with a grain of salt especially when reports are as mixed as they have been the last 3 days. Ill take full write ups over just tweets alone which only tell a limited story. 

agreed

Exactly. People in here are hanging on every tweet from any Joe Schmo at practice. It's great to see all the tweets coming through from everyone at the practices so we can read what is going on, but holy crap the jumping to conclusions has got to stop. We're in the 2nd week of Training Camp. Of course there's kinks to work out and not everyone is perfect. We're in the 1st season under a new HC so there is going to be growing pains in TC. Everyone just needs to relax.

Remember, we went 4-0 in the preseason last year...

If Grant is the real deal this will be the first time I remember having a formidable 4 wideout set. Plus have Jordan Reed in the backfield and holy crap batman!

Garcon, Djax, Roberts, Grant, Reed.

That is of course if all our WR can be healthy at the same time and RG3 can make quick decisions where to go with the football.

The potential is definitely there though.

most people are specifically saying that 1 on 1 battle we had the advantage.  11 on 11 play, Brady had better pocket presence than Griffin.

I didn't see anything specifically talking about one's pocket being cleaner than the others, but I've tried not to read too much of the BS.

most people are specifically saying that 1 on 1 battle we had the advantage.  11 on 11 play, Brady had better pocket presence than Griffin.

I didn't see anything specifically talking about one's pocket being cleaner than the others, but I've tried not to read too much of the BS.

I thought I remembered Gruden specifically comparing the nature of each QB's pocket after the first joint practice, basically saying Brady's was stable and RG's was shaky. Something along those lines.

Archived