Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Eli Wallach

The 12th Commandment

This guy is mainly tied to the role of Tuco, appropriately enough, and then perhaps recognized as Calvera (Magnificent 7), to perhaps three of four generations of movie lovers, but his roles include such a large body of interesting work (TV too) that it's worth knowing it exists.

Check out his role as Guido in The Misfits, for instance (which you should see anyway as one of the better movies made).

Even played Mr. Freeze on the original (Adam West) Batman series.

Truly one of the great "character" actors, but for him, I just prefer "actor."

RIP, and thank you Mr. Wallach.

Truly one of the great "character" actors, but for him, I just prefer "actor."

That's always been one of the things that "gets to me", about Hollywood.

That term "character actor". Usually spoken (at least in my mind) with a kind of a snear, or a dismissive wave. "As distinguished from real actors".

Me, I think "character actors" seems to be what real actors do.

I don't really have a lot of respect, say, for John Wayne's body of work. To me, every movie he was in, he was John Wayne. Whereas, at least in my mind, the work that Roddy Macdowell required a whole bunch of acting. (Even if a lot of it was dressed up like an ape.)

(Just writing this post, right now? I think if I had to pick the guy who I think has the best body of acting work? I'd probably go with Johny Depp.)

----------

And, nobody has posted "In Texas, only Texans can rob banks."?

We'll never know for sure now, but I think Tuco was faster than the Man with no name.  Don't get me wrong I think Eastwood and Van Cleef were great in that movie but Wallach was the one who made that movie truely great. 

We'll never know for sure now, but I think Tuco was faster than the Man with no name.  Don't get me wrong I think Eastwood and Van Cleef were great in that movie but Wallach was the one who made that movie truely great. 

Probably because he was the only character with obvious personality. Eastwood and Van Cleef were the quintessential aloof gunslingers who said little, Tuco was the passionate crook.

When I saw his name on the thread my mind replaced it with Tuco. I have never seen the magnificent 7 but I guess I'll have to check it out.

(Just writing this post, right now? I think if I had to pick the guy who I think has the best body of acting work? I'd probably go with Johny Depp.)

----------

I agree about it sometimes sounding like an insult, but I think Daniel Day-Lewis would be my #1 character actor.  The stories about how he prepares for roles are incredible.

Archived