Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Recommend a Book to Read

Dont Taze Me Bro

Don't knock me here. I'm well aware that this series is now suggested to Hunger Games and Twilight fans and now has a movie starring the guy from the Teen Wolf show. But the "Maze Runner" series by James Dashner has been really good so far. I'm just about done with book 3 and haven't been able to put it down. I'm typically not much of a Fiction fan but I was in a mood to get swept up in a story and try something new one night and saw that it was like #2 or 3 on the Google Books best selling list and figured "Why not?" and gave it a shot. Really digging it. Planning on checking out "The Mortality Doctrine" series next.

Other than that in the fiction world I really like James Patterson. Especially when he sets his stories in the DMV. Can't remember exactly which book it was but there's one that he actually includes Fedex Field as the setting. It's pretty cool.

I'm normally a non-fiction reader though. Love biographies and autobiographies. I really enjoyed "Paterno" which I'm sure you can all guess the subject lol. Also, "President Me" by Adam Carolla was HILARIOUS. Also both of Penn Jillete's NF books are fantastic.

If I can think of anymore I'll post.

I suggest the Gentleman **** Series starting with 'The Lies of Locke Lamora.'  Fantastic reading.  I have a hard time putting them down.  I am on the third book of the 3.  Each book more different than the last.  Plus there is plenty of humor.

From Good Reads:

In this stunning debut, author Scott Lynch delivers the wonderfully thrilling tale of an audacious criminal and his band of confidence tricksters. Set in a fantastic city pulsing with the lives of decadent nobles and daring thieves, here is a story of adventure, loyalty, and survival that is one part "Robin Hood", one part Ocean's Eleven, and entirely enthralling...

An orphan's life is harsh — and often short — in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains — a man who is neither blind nor a priest.

A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains passes his skills on to his carefully selected "family" of orphans — a group known as the Gentlemen ****s. Under his tutelage, Locke grows to lead the ****s, delightedly pulling off one outrageous confidence game after another. Soon he is infamous as the Thorn of Camorr, and no wealthy noble is safe from his sting.

Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld's most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful — and more ambitious — than Locke has yet imagined.

Just finished "Bottom of the 33rd" by Dan Barry.

The story of the 33 inning minor league game between the Rochester Red Wings and the Pawtucket Red Sox. Very vivid writing. About 260 pages. Good back stories on the players, coaches and even the fans.

Some well known players like Ripken, Boggs, Gedman and Ojeda to name a few that played in the game.

I suggest the Gentleman **** Series starting with 'The Lies of Locke Lamora.'  Fantastic reading.  I have a hard time putting them down.  I am on the third book of the 3.  Each book more different than the last.  Plus there is plenty of humor.

Thanks, just added it to my queue.

I'm about 60% done with Dean Koontz first book of the Odd Thomas series. Think I'm hooked but I have another hot/new book to read, Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz. Heard nothing but good things about it.

The first two are awesome.  I thought the very beginning of Red Seas Under Red Skies was a tad on the boring side, but then it kicked in and was killer until the very end.  The last one I am enjoying, but not nearly as much.  Of course, I am only about a 1/3 of the way through.  The third book, I am enjoying the intermissions a lot more than the main story.  I am hoping the third book kicks into gear like the second.

I enjoyed the 3rd book the Gentleman **** series, but it was a definite dip in quality from the first 2.

On a recommendation from a friend, I recently read Anthony Ryan's Blood Song. I couldn't put it down really. I'm currently halfway through the 2nd book and its a considerable drop in quality.

On a recommendation from a friend, I recently read Anthony Ryan's Blood Song. I couldn't put it down really. I'm currently halfway through the 2nd book and its a considerable drop in quality.

It's like they kidnapped the author of blood song and replaced him with tv writers that were trying to appeal to every popular demographic.

I just finished the Crimson Campaign, second of the Powdermage Trilogy. I didn't think I'd like these but I really do. Very strange mix of muskets, canons, and fantasy elements.

• 1 month later...

I just finished the third book in the Gentleman **** series 'The Republic of Theives' It was awful in my opinion. Took me forever to finish because I didn't ever want to pick it up. Hoping the next one is way better.

Going to start Wise Man's Fear shortly. My friend says it's his favorite.

Wise Man's Fear is greatness, everytime I read it or listen to the audiobook I pick up something I missed before. Rothfuss' books are infinitely quotable. 

Awesome thank you. You have great taste in entertaining reads, I think it was you who recommended The Dirt to me several years back

Thanks man.  I feel bad, I'd like to be a more well rounded person and I feel like I should read stuff that's more enlightening but I just can't bring myself to do it.  I just want to be entertained.  

Too bad he takes a lifetime to write each book. If you're on goodreads.com his book reviews are often entertaining as well. He even hated on a kids book

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/568883186

Thats a pretty much why I'm a Rothfuss fan. I wish he churned out books as fast as Sanderson, but different strokes for different folks. He has a lot of stuff wrap up in Book 3, I'm cool with waiting as long as he gets Book 3 right. I have high confidence that Book 3 will be worth the wait.

Thats a pretty much why I'm a Rothfuss fan. I wish he churned out books as fast as Sanderson, but different strokes for different folks. He has a lot of stuff wrap up in Book 3, I'm cool with waiting as long as he gets Book 3 right. I have high confidence that Book 3 will be worth the wait.

There are actually 7 Sanderson's but they have agreed to only let the world see one of them at a time to keep us all in the dark. It's the only explanation for his pace.

Book 3 does have a million loose ends, it would be a tragedy to rush it. I hope it's 1500 pages and takes me a month to read it. :) He just has to avoid trying to make a series so long that he dies prior to finishing it, like Robert Jordan did with wheel of time. There isn't anyone I can think of that could step in for him to finish it, not even Sanderson.

I started to get into the Wheel of Time. I really enjoyed the first few, then I think it was the 5th one, forget the name, that focused on only the women. Ughhh. I couldn't get through it and I honestly I don't miss it..

A buddy of mine was keeping notes as he got further into the series. I gave up. If I have to keep notes to be entertained, well, chances are I am not entertained.

Another friend of mine was a Robert Jordan Forum moderator for some time. He was a little ticked that Robert Jordan kept milking the series. Didn't think it was worth it. He is worried that Scott Lynch is going to do the same thing with Locke Lamora, then die before the series is finished.

• 4 months later...

Also, The Martian was a fantastic read and it's being adapted by Ridely Scott for a movie next year.

I have to second that, what an awesome story.  One of the best books I've read in a long time (still reading it actually).  Heavy on the science and very believable on the fiction.  Should make a great movie.  Great job of indicating the horror of the NASA folks I thought.  

A few books I've read this past year that I have really loved:

- The Far Pavilions

-  Duty:  Memoirs of a Secretary at War

-  Guns, Germs and Steel:  The Fates of Human Society

-  They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky

- In the Garden of the Beasts:  Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hilter's Berlin

-  All the Shah's Men:  An American Coup and the Roots of Middle East Terror

-  Lawrence In Arabia:  War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East

Just picked up Harper Lee's "Go Set A Watchman" and hope to have it finished by the end of the weekend.  It's pretty interesting so far. 

I've read so much Grisham that my whole life scenario could spin around in his library.

But two will always stand out, as the first chapters send your mind into overdrive just picturing the opening scene...

The Testament

The Brethren

They're my two favorites of everything he's done (with The Partner coming in 3rd).

Tell me you can't see the judges in their choir robes, just jailhouse justice, in The Brethren. I laugh my ass off every time I read it. My husband even knows it pops into my head upon any "courthouse drama" that gets a giggle. And he still hasn't read it.

Ya'll should.

Archived