Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Samuel Sheinbein died violently in Israel Sunday.

JMS

shein_032299r.jpg

For those of you who don't remember Samuel Sheinbein was a local kid from Montgomery County who in 1997 when he was 17 and a senior at Montgomery HS, decapitated another kid 19 year old Juan Pineda.   It was reported Pineda had begun dating a girl which Sheinbein had a crush on.   Sheinbein was picked up and charged by local officials, and released on bail.  Sheinbein's father who was a lawyer fled the country with his son, landing and seeking refuge in Israel. At the time it was reported even though the Sheinbein's ties to Israel were tenuous, Israel had a law on the books which outlawed the extradition of a jew seeking refuge to another country for any reasons. I remember at the time Israeli officials said the law was on the books due to antisemitism experienced by some Israeli's inside of foreign justice systems. This set off some controversy between Montgomery County officials, the US State Department, and Israeli Officials as extradition requests were denied.   I believe the extradition request went all the way to Israel's supreme court before being denied.

I remember Congress at the time threatening to cut Israeli Aid if Israel failed to extradite Sheinbein.

They even put a hold on a payment of 70 million dollars.  But in the end nothing else really came of it.

The end result was Sheinbein was charged and tried for murder in Israel with the assistance of evidence collected by Montgomery prosecutors.  Through a plea bargain Sheinbein was sentenced to 24 years in Israeli Prison. It was there that the imprisoned Sheinbein was the recipient of what Israeli officials are calling a smuggled gun two days ago and after wounding seven(*) was shot in his cell by Israeli counter terrorism officers. Finally ending the 17 year saga of a local murder which went international.

(*) three prison guards, three special forces fighters and one fellow prisoner. One of the guards was still in critical condition Monday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/montgomery-county-murder-suspect-who-fled-to-israel-in-1997-killed-in-prison-shoot-out/2014/02/23/1b6a46c4-9cac-11e3-9080-5d1d87a6d793_story.html

Wow, I actually remember that case happening back in 1997.  I never realized he went to Richard Montgomery.  I was a senior in HS at Paint Branch at the time, so I imagine I might know a few people who knew him.

I actually read an article a few years back about the internal Israeli reaction to the case and it was pretty interesting.  Most of the parties on the Israeli side wanted nothing to do with the kid, as he was clearly abusing a loophole, but they also didn't want to set a precedent that they were willing to compromise their constitution. (Honestly, I think the latter is complete BS.  If he was being persecuted for his beliefs that's one thing, but the kid was a murderer).

I guess the only upside is that thanks to the compromise, Samuel barely saw freedom in Israel, and his father can basically never step foot in the US again.

"You really gotta hand it to those Israeli prison guards, boy.  It's not like he hung someone by his shoelaces or slashed their wrists with a concealed butter knife.  This guy got a gun in prison and attacked people with it before he was shot and killed in his cell."

- A Few Good Men, adapted for the Samuel Sheinbein story

Wow, I actually remember that case happening back in 1997.  I never realized he went to Richard Montgomery.  I was a senior in HS at Paint Branch at the time, so I imagine I might know a few people who knew him.

I actually read an article a few years back about the internal Israeli reaction to the case and it was pretty interesting.  Most of the parties on the Israeli side wanted nothing to do with the kid, as he was clearly abusing a loophole, but they also didn't want to set a precedent that they were willing to compromise their constitution. (Honestly, I think the latter is complete BS.  If he was being persecuted for his beliefs that's one thing, but the kid was a murderer).

I guess the only upside is that thanks to the compromise, Samuel barely saw freedom in Israel, and his father can basically never step foot in the US again.

I remember local jewish community being up in arms over denying the extradition because in effect it made all jewish people flight risks and potentially bail could be denied on that basis.   Or so it was argued.

The extradition arm twisting went on for about two years as I remember.  After the Israeli supreme court finally denied the extradition;  I think Israel changed the law.    The new law allows for extradition, but only if the extraditing country allows for the sentence to be carried out in Israeli jails.  Something like that.

"You really gotta hand it to those Israeli prison guards, boy.  It's not like he hung someone by his shoelaces or slashed their wrists with a concealed butter knife.  This guy got a gun in prison and attacked people with it before he was shot and killed in his cell."

- A Few Good Men, adapted for the Samuel Sheinbein story

Yeah that is going to be very interesting...   I'm thinking we can be pretty sure Israel will efficiently figure out exactly how Sheinbein got that smuggled gun.   Originally they were thinking he stole it from a guard, but they've already ruled that out.   I wonder if his father Saul Sheinbein had visited him recently?    I wonder if a visitor could get a weapon to an inmate.   Was he in some sort of minimum security... I don't know.

One of the controversies in this case back 17 years ago was the difference between US and Israeli laws.  In Maryland at the time Sheinbein could not have been executed as he could have been in Virginia.  But he could have been sentenced to life in prison without parole.   In Israel back 17 years ago it was reported he would be eligible for some sort of work release program after some short interum, let's say 7 years or something.   I haven't read anything which corroborates that Sheinbein was in such a program, but if he were maybe that's how he got the gun in.

Whoops... Check that..   He was on a furlough program where he could walk around free for periods of time...

However, during a recent prison furlough, Sheinbein was arrested for trying to steal a gun. Following that incident, new charges were filed against him and the prison service decided to move him to another facility.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/1.575911

I remember local jewish community being up in arms over denying the extradition because in effect it made all jewish people flight risks and potentially bail could be denied on that basis.   Or so it was argued.

The extradition arm twisting went on for about two years as I remember.  After the Israeli supreme court finally denied the extradition;  I think Israel changed the law.    The new law allows for extradition, but only if the extraditing country allows for the sentence to be carried out in Israeli jails.  Something like that.

Wow, the wikipedia article on the case is pretty informative.  Apparently a lot of people in Israel wanted him extradited too, because they were afraid Israel would get over-run with criminals from other countries who just happened to be Jewish.  So they were putting a lot of pressure on their own government to throw this kid out, and change the country's policies.

Wow, the wikipedia article on the case is pretty informative.  

I do recall this case and the international controversy surrounding it, but I don't remember the motive. Wiki discusses it.

It is sickeningly evil.

Shienbaum killed Alredo Tello, Jr. for practice.  He intended to kill the boyfriend of a girl he had a crush on, but first wanted to kill someone else, just for practice.  Tello happened to get into a tussle with Sheinbaum's friend Aaron Needle.  Needle went to Sheinbaum and proposed Tello as his practice victim.  They both then killed Tello, first incapacitating him with a stun gun, choking and stabbing him,  finally beating him to death with a sawed off shotgun. They then cut off Tello's limbs, burned the corpse, stuffed the remains in a plastic bag and left it in the garage of a friend's house that was for sale.

The cold-bloodedness is chilling.  I suspect he was a sociopath.

Read the post article, he was supposed to get out one year from now? Odd that he chose now to get himself killed. Can't say I'm saddened by his choice to do so though.

Okay... I'll put on the tin foil hat for once...

Would it shock anyone to find out that the Israelis decided that his release from prison would stir up the same mess it did when he first fled there, and that it would be more convenient if there was an "incident" before that happened?

This psychopathic murderer seems like a bad candidate for a furlough program.  

And yet he was on a furlough program according to the Israeli paper...   I think it's a standard thing in Israel.    Long term sentences come with such options for good behavior like we parole folks here..

Okay... I'll put on the tin foil hat for once...

Would it shock anyone to find out that the Israelis decided that his release from prison would stir up the same mess it did when he first fled there, and that it would be more convenient if there was an "incident" before that happened?

And then they shoot 6 of their own officers to make it look convincing.. wounding two critically?

I'm wondering what were the terms of his furlough program and how long had he participated in such a furlough.  if the Haaretz article is right.

And then they shoot 6 of their own officers to make it look convincing.. wounding two critically?

I agree it's probably not true. Thus the "tin foil hat" comment.

Still, it also seems odd that someone could succesfully smuggle a gun into an Israeli prison, or that someone about to get out would even try.

I could spin a story to account for the woundings, but it would only be baseless speculation.

And, of course, this guy is clearly a homicidal sociopath, so I guess normal motivations and reasoning don't apply.

Still, it also seems odd that someone could succesfully smuggle a gun into an Israeli prison, or that someone about to get out would even try.

I could spin a story to account for the woundings, but it would only be baseless speculation.

And, of course, this guy is clearly a homicidal sociopath, so I guess normal motivations and reasoning don't apply.

Here is my tin foil hat guestimate based upon what we know..

So it sounds like he was in some sort of minimum security prison,  was caught trying to steal a gun on furlough.  Resulting in new charges against him...  and him being transferred to a real penitentiary,  with real criminals...   resulting with his perhaps.. wanting a gun to deal with his new and more violent compatriots in said penitentiary...   Hell maybe other prisoners had them too,  only they were smart enough not to use them.   If Sheinbein had one,  it's not out of the question others did too.   Sheinbein after all is a first class psychopath who decapitated a kid,   not part of a penitentiary brain trust.

I would also guess that since he was caught stealing a gun on furlough,  he was not eligible for furlough any longer; and  the likelihood of him getting out of jail in 2015,  9 years before his 24 year sentence was up were probable also severely diminished.    I mean here you get out early for good behavior..   stealing guns doesn't equate to good behavior...  not to mention the new charges he was facing in that theft.

I would guess he wasn't going anywhere for a very long time,  and that compiled with his loss of furlough privileges,  and new penitentiary playmates; dramatically affected his lifestyle, and resulted in these troubles.

Wow....  check this out...

Last year, the prison service decided to halt his furloughs because of his bad behavior outside prison. But Sheinbein successfully petitioned the High Court of Justice to regain his furloughs. Last year he was fined 50 shekels (about $14) after a knife was found in his cell.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/1.575911

So I'm wondering does this include the gun theft or was that something new?

What a sweet heart.

Another possibility besides sociopathy...

I'm usually the first to criticize people when they blame parents for the sins of the children.  But given what we know about how his father helped sneak him out of the country into Israel after the brutal crime, I wonder if Sheinbaum was so coddled and spoiled by his parents growing up that he developed a perverse sense of entitlement and an "I can do no wrong" arrogance that reached horrific levels with the killing. 

Another possibility besides sociopathy...

I'm usually the first to criticize people when they blame parents for the sins of the children.  But given what we know about how his father helped sneak him out of the country into Israel after the brutal crime, I wonder if Sheinbaum was so coddled and spoiled by his parents growing up that he developed a perverse sense of entitlement and an "I can do no wrong" arrogance that reached horrific levels with the killing. 

Like "affluenza?" I can see that.

In retrospect, I suppose it's a good thing Israel never sent him back. They had to foot the bill for feeding this POS and all ended the way US citizens would have hoped. I hope his father wanders down the wrong back alley at some point.

Like "affluenza?" I can see that.

In retrospect, I suppose it's a good thing Israel never sent him back. They had to foot the bill for feeding this POS and all ended the way US citizens would have hoped. I hope his father wanders down the wrong back alley at some point.

I can't really generate too much hate for his father.  He's his father and I can't say I wouldn't lose my mind and do something stupid to try to save my children.  More than that however is that the results of his actions accomplished nothing.  The little murdering piece of **** still spent two decades in prison and died there, violently.  I'm sure the personal cost to his father was greater than we know.  His good name was destroyed and he was banned from the US where he built a life.  If he's still alive then one year away from his son's release he gets to bury him instead.  

Affluenza, otherwise known as being a spoiled prick, might explain irresponsible decision making but not a practice murder.  That's just plain evil and I can't imagine that it comes from having a overly generous and patient father.  

oh gosh where to begin.....sammy was a troubled kid thats for sure and so was his friend, and co assailant, Needle.  Both were drug dealer want to bes.  While its been awhile I believe Aaron and Sammy went to mark twain school, but its been forever so I very well may be wrong.....I don't know what happened to make them want to kill somone but the the brashness and stupidity of how they disposed of the body was just insane.   I mean seriously,  Sammy uses a chain saw to cut up Tello and leaves it in the garage next to the  body while the box he purchased the chain saw in SAT IN HIS GARAGE! 

After it happened, we were all saying Sammy was going to flee to Israel as everyone knew it was a safe haven for him, why the govt slept on this is not surpirsing....yea, he knew he wouldn't ever be able to come back here but one rather take their chances in an israeli court then the life in prison that awaited him as it was a slam dunk he was going to be convicted considering the evidence.  

Sammy always had issues but never saw him as a psychopath even though he and Aaron Needle acted like tough guys.  

BTW Aaron lived down street from me......he ended up hanging himself in his cell the night before trial. Probably the right decision for him as he was never going to see the light of day and he knew it.   Besides he would of never survived in jail.  

Archived