Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS NAME THREE ASSISTANT COACHES

TK

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

January 16, 2014

REDSKINS NAME THREE ASSISTANT COACHES

Olivadotti returns; Burney, Morris retain previous roles

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Kirk Olivadotti as Inside Linebackers Coach and will retain Jacob Burney as Defensive Line Coach and Raheem Morris as Defensive Backs Coach.

Olivadotti returns to the Redskins – with whom he spent 11 NFL seasons in various capacities from 2000-10 – after three years coaching inside linebackers at the University of Georgia from 2011-13. Olivadotti is one of 11 members of the Redskins’ assistant coach honor roll, which recognizes coaches with at least 10 seasons of service as an assistant in Washington.

At Georgia, Olivadotti coached a linebacker corps that produced NFL draft picks Akeem Dent, Jarvis Jones and Alec Ogletree. The Bulldogs averaged 10 wins a season in Olivadotti’s three years, including ending the 2012 season with a 12-2 record and a No. 5 national ranking.

Olivadotti’s NFL career began as a defensive quality control coach with the Redskins in 2000. He served in that role for four seasons and also helped coach defensive backs. He continued as quality control coach in 2004, but also took on a role assisting the Redskins' special teams units. In 2006, his role expanded to working with the Redskins' defensive line before he took over as linebackers coach in 2007.

During Olivadotti’s previous 11-season tenure with the club, the Redskins finished in the top 10 in the NFL in total defense on eight occasions. The Redskins allowed an average of 313.1 yards per game in Olivadotti’s 11 years on staff, fourth-fewest in the NFC and seventh-fewest in the NFL in that time frame.

Olivadotti, 40, was a four-year letter-winner as a wide receiver at Purdue from 1993-96. The Wilmington, Del. native earned his bachelor’s degree in education and his master’s degree in education administration, both from Purdue. He is the son of Tom Olivadotti, a long-time defensive coach in the NFL with Cleveland, Miami, Minnesota, the New York Giants and Houston.

Burney is entering his fifth season as the Redskins’ defensive line coach in 2014. The 54-year-old Chattanooga, Tenn. native originally joined the Redskins on Jan. 19, 2010.

Morris, 37, will return for his third season in Washington as the team’s defensive backs coach. The Irvington, N.J. native originally joined the Redskins in that capacity on Jan. 23, 2012, after three seasons as head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

OLIVADOTTI FOOTBALL TIMELINE

1993-96: Wide Receiver, Purdue

1997: Wide Receivers/Tight Ends Coach, Maine Maritime

1998-99: Assistant Coach, Indiana State

2000-03: Defensive Quality Control/Defensive Backs Assistant, Washington Redskins

2004-05: Defensive Quality Control/Special Teams Assistant, Washington Redskins

2006: Defensive Line Assistant/Special Teams Assistant, Washington Redskins

2007-09: Linebackers, Washington Redskins

2010: Defensive Assistant, Washington Redskins

2011-13: Inside Linebackers Coach, Georgia

2014: Inside Linebackers Coach, Washington Redskins

REDSKINS ASSISTANT COACH HONOR ROLL (10+ SEASONS)

Don Breaux 1981-93, 2004-07

Joe Bugel 1981-89, 2004-09

Bill Hickman 1973-77, 1981-83

Kirk Olivadotti 2000-10, 2014

Larry Peccatiello 1981-93

Richie Petitbon 1978-92

Dan Riley 1982-99

Wayne Sevier 1981-86, 1989-93

Warren “Rennie” Simmons 1981-93, 2004-08

Charley Taylor 1981-93

Lavern “Torgy” Torgeson 1959-61, 1971-77, 1981-93

Are they afraid to tell us that Haslett is back?

lol  I was thinking the same thing. I will say them announcing Morris is back tells me they are not ready to announce Haslett. But it does seem odd they are bringing in all these position coaches without a DC defined. I have been hoping they are going in another direction. But probably not.

lol  I was thinking the same thing. I will say them announcing Morris is back tells me they are not ready to announce Haslett. But it does seem odd they are bringing in all these position coaches without a DC defined. I have been hoping they are going in another direction. But probably not.

Technically, Hazhole hasn't went anywhere to come back from & is still under contract. It's more like telling you he hasn't went anywhere & isn't going to. 

Is it possible that Haslett right now is a fall back plan while we wait for one of the remaining playoff teams to finish their season and give us an opportunity to interview them?

The fact that they are avoiding an official announcement on his status suggests that they are keeping their options open.

Is it possible that Haslett right now is a fall back plan while we wait for one of the remaining playoff teams to finish their season and give us an opportunity to interview them?

The fact that they are avoiding an official announcement on his status suggests that they are keeping their options open.

I think its a fair point. Given all the announcements, it's quite odd Haslett has not yet been announced. That suggests to me its not a foregone conclusion. Could easily still happen, but if it was lock, then I'd expect it to be announced already.

I don't like the idea of having two coaches for the linebackers.  Doesn't the group have to work as a unit and be coordinated in how they approach each play?  Having one leader seems best for that.  Similarly, I worried when we had a safety and cornerbacks coach... seemed more likely to cause confusion than to improve play.

Glad to have Olivadotti back, but don't get the need for two coaches.

I don't like the idea of having two coaches for the linebackers.  Doesn't the group have to work as a unit and be coordinated in how they approach each play?  Having one leader seems best for that.  Similarly, I worried when we had a safety and cornerbacks coach... seemed more likely to cause confusion than to improve play.

That's presuming they won't work as a group.  ;)

I don't think there's too much of a problem having two coaches look after all the LB's. A titles just a title. 

Hail. 

I was glad to see Olivadotti back as well, the players spoke highly of him. I just wonder what exactly went on vis-a-vis his leaving and now returning that Shanny & Co have moved on.

Personally I feel that having more than one opinion or one set of eyes involved with the coaching is a good thing. This team seems to be building a better staff piece by piece, have to wait to see how the whole thing operates of course, but now that "being in Kyle's clique" isn't a requirement there's the chance for improvement.

People tend to overlook maybe the biggest success Gibbs had, building his coaching staff and giving them the freedom to run things effectively, apparently the exact opposite of the Shanahan approach.

I hadn't really been thinking about it in these terms, but ldo506 made me just think about the Snyder effect. Olivadotti is coming back, Byner is coming back. Snyder can't be that much of a meddling ogre if we have coaches eager to return.

Both Byner and Olivadorti also have good coaching reps and probably had other options.

Lastly, Byner coaching Morris is really intriguing. Both are guys with limited skillsets, but had great vision, ability to cut and some power.

I don't like the idea of having two coaches for the linebackers. Doesn't the group have to work as a unit and be coordinated in how they approach each play? Having one leader seems best for that. Similarly, I worried when we had a safety and cornerbacks coach... seemed more likely to cause confusion than to improve play.

Maybe because we keep more LBers on our roster than any other position? OL is the next most. Just a guess on my part with having the 3-4 defense.

Archived