Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time lapse of nuclear weapons testing/use

Corcaigh

Sounds like Neil Peart playing to a metronome on electronic drums.

Didn't know that many have been detonated. What the hell? How much of that was posturing and how much was for actual research? I mean, we test one bomb, flatten two cities, but we just aren't sure yet. Do these things really work? I'm a bit skeptical on their ability to blow Earth up 5 times.

Things I noticed that were probably not necessary to notice:

- France starts off by detonating a bomb in Africa, and the UK starts off by detonating a bomb in Australia.  At least China, the USSR and the US kept those things in house to start with.  (Yes, I know that France and Britain have precious little unpopulated territory.)

- France set off as many as China and the UK combined.  I had no idea.

- The UK detonated bombs within the continental US.

Sounds like Neil Peart playing to a metronome on electronic drums.

Didn't know that many have been detonated. What the hell? How much of that was posturing and how much was for actual research? I mean, we test one bomb, flatten two cities, but we just aren't sure yet. Do these things really work? I'm a bit skeptical on their ability to blow Earth up 5 times.

Little posturing if any. The first test was to see if the damn thing would work, but then the US and Soviet Union, in particular, pursued many new designs, different sizes, different delivery methods etc. which required different shapes.

All these designs were tested.

Well I bet that makes folks in south western USA feel all sorts of special.

Here's one view of Area 8 from the Nevada test site with subsidence from some of the underground tests.

GravityCraters.jpg

Well, the continental winds blow west to east ...

Yeah ... Like Utah ...where movies are made.

Did you know that John Wayne's cancer that killed him was quite likely from exposure to Nevada nuclear test fallout while filming The Conqueror in the mid 50s?

Things I noticed that were probably not necessary to notice:

- France starts off by detonating a bomb in Africa, and the UK starts off by detonating a bomb in Australia.  At least China, the USSR and the US kept those things in house to start with.  (Yes, I know that France and Britain have precious little unpopulated territory.)

- France set off as many as China and the UK combined.  I had no idea.

- The UK detonated bombs within the continental US.

I wondered about France's testing site in Africa.  They used a testing ground in the Algerian desert, and the first tests were atmospheric tests. After intense international criticism they switched to underground testing, and after 1966 moved their test site to French Polynesia.

The patterns of where the tests were conducted is interesting.

USA: "**** the Pacific and **** the Southwest"

UK: "**** Australia"

France: "**** Africa"

China: "**** the middle of our country"

USSR: **** EVERYWHERE"

India: "**** that one place we once set a bomb off"

Archived