Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VIDEO: DeAngelo Hall interview: Locker room did not want RG3 benched

Toe Jam

It was good watching Garcon on Sportsnation today. He basically said Shanahan was old school and didn't relate to the players. Said Gruden was modern and knew how to handle players and called the hire Amazing. 

Then he said regarding Griffin, specifically the report that Griffin bragged he could influence the direction of the coaching search/franchise, that it was just life in the NFL, and you get criticized no matter what you do. 

Marcellus then went on to say that Griffin needed to get healthy and half a full offseason and when you're an NFL player and you aren't healthy or confident in your body how hard it is to get ready and play in the games and how it is always in the back of your mind and impacts your play. Garcon said he agreed completely and said the fans don't understand that though, they just see the jersey and the player not performing and want to blame.

It was good watching Garcon on Sportsnation today. He basically said Shanahan was old school and didn't relate to the players. Said Gruden was modern and knew how to handle players and called the hire Amazing. 

Then he said regarding Griffin, specifically the report that Griffin bragged he could influence the direction of the coaching search/franchise, that it was just life in the NFL, and you get criticized no matter what you do. 

Marcellus then went on to say that Griffin needed to get healthy and half a full offseason and when you're an NFL player and you aren't healthy or confident in your body how hard it is to get ready and play in the games and how it is always in the back of your mind and impacts your play. Garcon said he agreed completely and said the fans don't understand that though, they just see the jersey and the player not performing and want to blame.

no no no...you are wrong. he needs a full offseason, not half of a full offseason. :P

What would you say for a multi millionaire contract????  Oh I hate RG3?  :lol:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give to you the most cynical, negative fan on ExtremeSkins!

Seriously. I haven't seen you say a positive word in... I don't know. Come on, man.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give to you the most cynical, negative fan on ExtremeSkins!

Seriously. I haven't seen you say a positive word in... I don't know. Come on, man.

Aw, give him a break; although i'm not anti-Griffin, i'm sure not pro-Griffin.

Maybe he has flashbacks like me to a guy named Randall Cunningham, who was a running QB, got hurt alot, big arm, but never went anywhere, and maybe Griffin COULD possibly be something similar. We won't know for a few more years, but everyone can't be a blind follower to the unknown, and face it, the jury is still out on Griffin; not hating, just stating the facts.

Maybe he has flashbacks like me to a guy named Randall Cunningham, who was a running QB, got hurt alot, big arm, but never went anywhere, and maybe Griffin COULD possibly be something similar. We won't know for a few more years, but everyone can't be a blind follower to the unknown, and face it, the jury is still out on Griffin; not hating, just stating the facts.

If you guys read my posts, I am not anti Griffin, I just lay blame on him.  I lay blame on Shanny, and I lay blame on Danny.  But the real meaning behind my posts regard the organization and how it is run.  Griffin and Shanny were just this year pawns in the game.

Every year we have word coming from sources:

Drama in the offseason [check]

Team makes more headlines in offseason than during the season [check]

Player running to the owner [check]

Team winning less than 8 games [check]

Questions about the coaching and issues in coaching [check]

It's not RG3, it's the culture surrounding the franchise and the drama and the circus that tires me.

I could take that checklist and produce stories for every coach here under Snyder, including Joe Gibbs.

All you guys want to focus on is RG3.  One day you will tired of the charade as well.  Based on reading the response to Gruden's hiring, many people are just MEH.  You can't even get excited anymore, just gotta hope the culture is fixed, if not, it doesn't matter who the coach is.

If you guys read my posts, I am not anti Griffin, I just lay blame on him.  I lay blame on Shanny, and I lay blame on Danny.  But the real meaning behind my posts regard the organization and how it is run.  Griffin and Shanny were just this year pawns in the game.

Every year we have word coming from sources:

Drama in the offseason [check]

Team makes more headlines in offseason than during the season [check]

Player running to the owner [check]

Team winning less than 8 games [check]

Questions about the coaching and issues in coaching [check]

It's not RG3, it's the culture surrounding the franchise and the drama and the circus that tires me.

I could take that checklist and produce stories for every coach here under Snyder, including Joe Gibbs.

All you guys want to focus on is RG3.  One day you will tired of the charade as well.  Based on reading the response to Gruden's hiring, many people are just MEH.  You can't even get excited anymore, just gotta hope the culture is fixed, if not, it doesn't matter who the coach is.

You are not allowed to say anything "negative" or perceived to be negative about RGIII, you know this.  All the blind love will come out, they wont read the post, all they will do is focus on something you may have said about our "Messiah RGIII".  Even though the facts are out there.  No, D Hall didn't say anything negative and said the players were not for his benching, why would he say anything different?  Especially with his next statement of "I would like to come back to Washington".

Everyone played a part in this fiasco just like you stated.  No one is more to blame than the other.  Including the "unnamed sources" who won't put their name behind their statements.

I love RGIII, not this last years RGIII, I love the rookie RGIII and the rookie RGIII who EARNED the right to be a captain. I do not like the last years RGIII who continually challenged (in media) his coaches, the RGIII who never took responsibility for HIS poor play, all we heard was the offense needs to be better, the offense will get better, it should have been "I" need, will, be, better. Its ok though, Cam went through this last year, until Steve Smith sat him down and talked to him.

I think last year was not the "normal" RGIII and fully expect this year to be the "real" RGIII and he will be leaps and bounds better.

damn, forgot to turn on my sarcasm meter again. I hate when that happens.

dude, if you read any of MY posts, you'd find that i'm in total agreement with you !

Proof is in the pudding, and i'm a fan of the Redskins, not any one particular player, nor am I really keen on the idea of Griffin being team MVP; Morris, IMO, should have been the one getting that.

I totally agree, Griffin, Mike, Haslett, Kyle, Burns, hell the entire organization had a hand in this and should all accept responsibility, but, as clearly posted, some just cannot see laying any blame on griffin at all, and if they're that wrapped up in Griffin, its their choice; just don't attempt to absolve him of any wrongdoing, because it makes them look bad.

If my wife was 100 lbs lighter I might still be married!

thats what hurts; last year we were a playoff team, and to drop off like we did got everybody's panties in a wad.

These problems didn't just drop out of the clear blue sky!! They already existed but you know how the saying goes "Winning Cures All". The fact that we went on an improbable run to end the season and become division champs for the first time since the light bulb was invented, a LOT of the evident issues within the franchise were masked and overlooked. Now that we are a losing team again, all the issues arise.

Like i said, if we would have some how went on to repeat as division champs or snuck a wildcard spot, you don't hear none of this.

That run also showed a lot of promising things that were occurring for this team. I'm just going to list them because I'm getting frustrated from the revisionist history going on here and from the downplaying of the success we had in year three of one of the most difficult rebuilds in NFL history when considering the team that was inherited as well as the external factors (restricted FA pool in 2010, lockout in 2011, cap penalty). 

Not saying that's all that you're doing T-REX, btw. 

So here it goes: 

1- We got incredible production from two rookies, Robert and Alfred, who set all kinds of records.

2- Trent Williams, our franchise LT, became the guy we knew he could be with his talent.

3- We got very good production from a bunch of blue collar guys still in their primes like Darrel Young, Cofield, Bowen, Kerrigan,

Jarvis Jenkins, Perry Riley, etc...  

4- We saw Pierre Garcon emerge, still young and in his prime. We saw, for the first time in forever, four WRs have over 500 yards in one season (Garcon, Hankerson, Moss, Morgan), two of whom still look to have a place on this team.

5- We saw a bunch of young, depth guys step up and play well like Rob Jackson, Kirk Cousins, Aldrick Robinson, Baker, Josh Leribeus (who screwed that momentum up this year, of course), Logan Paulsen, Richard Crawford, Lorenzo Alexander, Reed Doughty, etc... all of whom are still on the team except Lo.  

6- Our injury-ridden and resource-depleted secondary was able to play well down the stretch with Raheem rotating guys like Pugh, Jordan Murphy, Cedric Griffin and I forget who else in what was a masterful coaching job. 

7- This was all done with the second biggest IR list in the NFL. Let's not forget guys like Bernstine, Keenan Robinson, Chris Neild, Brian Orakpo and Adam Carriker who all have produced or shown promise at the least, some at key positions where we needed it, going on IR. The good news is Keenan is still young, so hopefully he can bounce back. Neild and Orakpo have already. Bernstine is done and we'll see with Carriker.   

8- We found our franchise kicker in Kai Forbath, a position that had been killing us for ages! 

So, no, it wasn't that the improbable run "masked a lot of issues that were always there" more than it was the run showed a lot of good things that had been building for the last two and a half years leading up to it. This year, I don't think the issues just came back (well, maybe the defensive issues)... I think the franchise QB that we invested so much in had a severe injury that caused him to start doubting himself and his coaches, and another offseason with $18 million taken away saw us being unable to add anyone to really improve around him. Finally, the ST coach Mike hired was a colossal failure. That's what happened to me.

I refuse to think all of what was built that led to that run was worthless and it was just a fluke.

I'm excited moving forward because a lot of these guys are still on this team. Robert will be healthier and refreshed from the nightmare that was that injury. Our head coach also doesn't have that nightmare scenario hanging over his head. We've got a lot of promising young guys we know little about like Chris Thompson, Amerson, Jordan Reed, Jawan Jamison, Minnifield, etc... to look forward to watching their development. Hopefully, we'll be getting back a completely healthy Keenan Robinson who showed a ton of promise before his injuries as well as Richard Crawford who was much the same.

There's a ton to look forward to with our new head coach BECAUSE there isn't that many issues with this team, though a 3-13 season made it seem so. I get that, but I don't think it erases or undermines in anyway 2012.    

I'm curious to know why is Griffin always compared to other "black" QB's? Is it because of how they play or simply because of the color of their skin? Griffin style of play is nothing like Randall Cunningham. Griffin has only missed 1 game due to injury in 2yrs. So he doesn't get hurt "A LOT"!!

Why is he labeled as a running QB? Did he have more rushing yards than passing? Is Russell Wilson considered to be a "running QB"? Griffin had more passing yards than him in 2012. Was Steve Young considered to be a rushing QB? What QB has ever had a rookie season that RG3 had that the "jury was still out" on? How was Steve Young first 2 years in the NFL?

Seeing what RG3 did his first season before the ACL/LCL injury that normally takes about 18mo to heal wasn't a fluke. So I don't think anyone is "blindly" following him. I think some are blinded by their own refusal to admit what the truth really is. And some deep down in side don't want to see Griffin be successful because of a dislike for him that goes beyond the football field.

Griffin did have issues this season. But common sense should tell us what some of it came from. But it still doesn't excuse his play 100%. But I will not be foolish enough to jump on this "doubting Griffin" bandwagon!!

No one knows anything about a QB in a few years if they're on the wrong team or don't have the right supporting cast on and off the field! Again, see Steve Young and Drew Brees!! And there's other QB's some fans like ours would've given up on too, after a few seasons.

So the only "FACT" is NONE of us know what Griffin will settle in as a QB!! But if Vegas had to place odds up, I bet it would go in the favor of Griffin having a great career.

If my wife was 100 lbs lighter I might still be married!

thats what hurts; last year we were a playoff team, and to drop off like we did got everybody's panties in a wad.

Who was the QB that all of these now  doubters, palm readers and complainers blindly cheered for and followed to the division crown and playoffs last year?

I'm curious to know why is Griffin always compared to other "black" QB's? Is it because of how they play or simply because of the color of their skin? Griffin style of play is nothing like Randall Cunningham. Griffin has only missed 1 game due to injury in 2yrs. So he doesn't get hurt "A LOT"!!

Why is he labeled as a running QB? Did he have more rushing yards than passing? Is Russell Wilson considered to be a "running QB"? Griffin had more passing yards the him in 2012. Was Steve Young considered to be a rushing QB? What QB has ever had a rookie season that RG3 had that the "jury was still out" on? How was Steve Young first 2 years in the NFL?

Seeing what RG3 did his first season before the ACL/LCL injury that normally takes about 18mo to heal wasn't a fluke. So I don't think no one is "blindly" following him. I think some are blinded by their own refusal to admit what the truth really is. And some deep down in side don't want to see Griffin be successful because of a dislike for him that goes beyond the football field.

Griffin did have issues this season. But common sense should tell us what some of it came from. But it still doesn't excuse his play 100%. But I will not be foolish enough to jump on this "doubting Griffin" bandwagon!!

No one knows anything about a QB in a few years if they're on the wrong team or don't have the right supporting cast on and off the field! Again, see Steve Young and Drew Brees!! And there's other QB's some fans like ours would've given up on too, after a few seasons.

So the only "FACT" is NONE of us know what Griffin will settle in as a QB!! But if Vegas had to place odds up, I bet it would go in the favor of Griffin having a great career.

DId you see Chris Mortensen say "People have questioned RGIII's work ethic" ? It's hilarious i'm perfectly fine with someone trashing his play on the field because it has been TERRIBLE but the unfair character assassination is crazy.

Arrogant, Loves the cameras, Lazy, Coach Killer, only cares about himself......

These are the kind of characteristics they tried to pin against the kid, it's hilarious. 

They did it for Cam, RGIII and Kaep once Kaep began struggling early on.... attacking their play on the field is perfectly fine but once you start attacking the players character when they are a good person that makes you wonder.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/11/jay-gruden-on-rg3-i-expect-him-to-prepare-and-work-hard/

damn, forgot to turn on my sarcasm meter again. I hate when that happens.

dude, if you read any of MY posts, you'd find that i'm in total agreement with you !

Proof is in the pudding, and i'm a fan of the Redskins, not any one particular player, nor am I really keen on the idea of Griffin being team MVP; Morris, IMO, should have been the one getting that.

I totally agree, Griffin, Mike, Haslett, Kyle, Burns, hell the entire organization had a hand in this and should all accept responsibility, but, as clearly posted, some just cannot see laying any blame on griffin at all, and if they're that wrapped up in Griffin, its their choice; just don't attempt to absolve him of any wrongdoing, because it makes them look bad.

Morris should've got team MVP, when? Over Griffin? How? Morris was a threat, no doubt about that. But the threat of Griffin was much more of a threat than Morris. Which ended up helping Morris. The threat of Griffin being so fast and accurate with the ball on the run last year put a lot of pressure on defenses. That wasn't there this year due to the bad injury Griffin had along with NO off season. While his yards where equal just about to last year, he turned the ball over more this year. BUT, so did Alfred Morris. He fumbled more this year than he did last year. And he got less yards this year than last. HMMMMM, I wonder why????/

Griffin had his problems this year for sure. But can anyone say that his problems where more of a problem than the defense, special teams, clock management, play calling, the smallest OL in the NFL etc etc etc? Come on man................

Tom Brady suffered a knee injury and came back and wasn't that great at all. but they still won because of coaching. Hell, they went 11-5 the year he got hurt. Then some people got fooled and gave Matt Cassel the ole "great QB" contract. How is Matt Cassel these days? Not so well huh? He had a great coaching staff that put him in the best possible position to succeed. You think Shanny did that with RG3?

Cmon bro you know racism doesn't exist, I mean never mind when Cam and RGIII struggled it was because they were "Arrogant" "Me First" "Not smart enough to read defenses" "Running QBs who can't throw" but when Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker struggle it's because "The jags and titans aren't developing them" "The offensive line is terrible" "They don't have any weapons" 

Stop pulling the race card, racism is over.......

HAHAHAHA

OH my LOL!! I guess I am a bit dumb huh LOLOL!! Great post bro!!! I didn't want to go there at all. But you can sorta feel that it is because of that. Now, whether its intentional or not, I don't know. But RG3 is always compared to black QB's just because!!!!

No disrespect to anyone commenting here, but I didn't really hear him say anything a team player shouldn't say.  Of course, he is going to complement RG3's drive and hunger and potential.  He is trying to get a contract on the only team to show interest in him last season.  He even mentioned the Operation Patience deal and how Griffin wasn't ready at the beginning of the season.

If I was going to guess, some players were probably in favor of the benching, for whatever reason, player safety, luck, etc., but a majority were not.

Funny how everyone grasps onto an article favoring their viewpoint and completely dismisses any opposing stories.

Shanahan is gone, let him go in peace and start the new Gruden era.

No disrespect to anyone commenting here, but I didn't really hear him say anything a team player shouldn't say.  Of course, he is going to complement RG3's drive and hunger and potential.  He is trying to get a contract on the only team to show interest in him last season.  He even mentioned the Operation Patience deal and how Griffin wasn't ready at the beginning of the season.

If I was going to guess, some players were probably in favor of the benching, for whatever reason, player safety, luck, etc., but a majority were not.

Funny how everyone grasps onto an article favoring their viewpoint and completely dismisses any opposing stories.

Shanahan is gone, let him go in peace and start the new Gruden era.

Here's the rub though: the "opposing stories" were always leaks and cited "anonymous sources", whereas the articles, interviews etc that refute those and say it was not true are actual players who are in the locker room and said it openly without disguising who they are. I'm going to put much more trust in what an actual person who played with RG3 and spent time with him says over what a leaked "anonymous source" says.

Also...you're going to trust your "guess" over what actual players are saying and have said? Really? And Hall isn't the only one saying that the stuff was not true and that they supported and still do support RG3. London Fletcher...is he looking for a new contract? Pierre Garcon...is he looking for a new contract this year? Trent Williams...is he looking for a new contract this year? You lambaste people for only grasping on to articles that support their viewpoints but then you to grasp on to any possibility to discredit what an actual player is saying. "DHall said it was nonsense and they didn't want RG3 benched? Only possible explanation is he is doing it for a contract...couldn't possibly be true."

Here's the rub though: the "opposing stories" were always leaks and cited "anonymous sources", whereas the articles, interviews etc that refute those and say it was not true are actual players who are in the locker room and said it openly without disguising who they are. I'm going to put much more trust in what an actual person who played with RG3 and spent time with him says over what a leaked "anonymous source" says.

Also...you're going to trust your "guess" over what actual players are saying and have said? Really? And Hall isn't the only one saying that the stuff was not true and that they supported and still do support RG3. London Fletcher...is he looking for a new contract? Pierre Garcon...is he looking for a new contract this year? Trent Williams...is he looking for a new contract this year? You lambaste people for only grasping on to articles that support their viewpoints but then you to grasp on to any possibility to discredit what an actual player is saying. "DHall said it was nonsense and they didn't want RG3 benched? Only possible explanation is he is doing it for a contract...couldn't possibly be true."

EXACTLY!!! I agree 1000000000% with EVERYTHING you said here. I think some just want to say something negative without thinking about the obvious. Your whole post is the obvious and FACT!!!!

Now the haters have a reason why the actual players are saying that. LOLOL You can't win or make sense with some of these people. It's impossible. Again GREAT POST!

Archived