Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

so in hindsight, where does RG3 rank amongst 2012 drafted QB's ?

HogHeaven1983

Here's the question

Would you (right now) trade ...

RG3

for

Two #1 Draft Picks + One #2 Draft Pick + Russell Wilson (or Nick Foles) ???

The sad truth is we traded the house for an oft injured, frail, running QB with bad knees, with very poor mechanics, very poor pocket presence, and an ego the size of Fed Ex Field. This guy is a head case and will never be a premier QB in the NFL.   He's just one more Redskin player that most Redskins fans will inflate the perceived talent and value of ... for years.  Until they finally fade into obscurity.  Most Redskins fans sit back and think "Gee, if we paid three #1's and a #2 to get him, he must be good" ... then don't believe their own eyes when he overthrows wide open receivers by 20 yards.

Luck is far from top tier. He might actually be the bust (in the sense of not being #1 overall worthy) of the draft. He is wildly inaccurate at times and holds the ball at length. 5 of his last 6 years going back to his college days he has been in rhe same system. It's not a stretch to hypothesize that his ceiling has been reached.

Last year RG3 was clearly on top. Unfortunately, right now Nick Foles is. Time will tell as usual, but any of these guys can become cornerstones.

How do you put Cousins, Tannehill, over RG3?

He doesn't like RG3. He makes that very clear.

OP is a fine example of those in the "what have you done for me lately" mindset.  Horrible ranking.  RG3 was clearly the best 2012 rookie QB last season.  He had a major injury in January which set him back this year.  Luck and Wilson have struggled at times too, but you don't really notice it because those teams are leading their division and playoff bound.  I still think Nick Foles will fall back down to earth.  He will not be putting up 25 tds and 2 ints every season.  If fact, if you go back and watch the Eagles games, you'll see a ton of lucky breaks for him.  He would at times blindly throw the ball up in the air that would normally be a pick, but instead turns out to be a 1st down or more. 

You really can't truly rank this guys right now.  We won't know for a few more years how everything pans out.

Of the QBs you list:

Russell Wilson has had 2 straight good years.  Luck has been decent both years.  Both lead to their teams to the playoffs.  

RGIII had a great year last year and lead his team to the playoffs.  He was not good this year.  Foles is the exact opposite.

Tannehill has been mediocre both years but appears to have improved a little bit this year.

Cousins is real popular on this board and might develop into a good QB.  He certainly appears to have tools.

The thing is, we don't know how any of these guys are going to turn out.    

So...this is why "in hindsight" questions are ridiculous.  "In hindsight," choosing to be a Redskins fan might not be the best choice given their historic lack of success.   "In hindsight," the Redskins (or most any team) probably could have drafted a better player than every single player on the team.  

The problem is, adults don't get to make decisions in hindsight.  They make decisions in the real world, in real time.     

Foles this year is what RG3 was in some ways last year - a new face in an unknown offense putting up what are likely unsustainable numbers.  He could be a phenomenal player, or after an offseason of defensive preparations, he could be a disappointment - a flash in the pan.

I wanted us to draft 2 QBs, didn't like trading away the farm for the #2 pick, had concerns about RG3 staying healthy, BUT there's no way he's below Kirk Cousins or Tannehill.  Wilson and Luck have looked better over a 2 year stretch, particularly Wilson, but RG3 is coming off a major injury and often has to play from behind because of a terrible defense.

Awful ranking and it's quite early to call this "hindsight".

I think it was put in order of this year's QB rating (the NFL one), with the exception of Cousins, who would be below RGIII if he had enough passes to qualify.

As you say, its too early to make judgments yet.  It is pretty impressive that their are 5 solid starters from that draft though (I'm counting RG3 and Cousins as one starter).

As you say, its too early to make judgments yet. It is pretty impressive that their are 5 solid starters from that draft though (I'm counting RG3 and Cousins as one starter).

Yeah, it is very impressive what that QB class looks like as of now. I don't think we've seen a class like that in a long time.

Here's the question

Would you (right now) trade ...

RG3

for

Two #1 Draft Picks + One #2 Draft Pick + Russell Wilson (or Nick Foles) ???

The sad truth is we traded the house for an oft injured, frail, running QB with bad knees, with very poor mechanics, very poor pocket presence, and an ego the size of Fed Ex Field. This guy is a head case and will never be a premier QB in the NFL. He's just one more Redskin player that most Redskins fans will inflate the perceived talent and value of ... for years. Until they finally fade into obscurity. Most Redskins fans sit back and think "Gee, if we paid three #1's and a #2 to get him, he must be good" ... then don't believe their own eyes when he overthrows wide open receivers by 20 yards.

Well, I'm really glad that you warned us about RG3 a couple offseasons ago when all that info you just posted would have been pertinent.

Unfortunately, you were too busy hugging RG3's nut sack to warn us about how bad RG3 was...

will be no higher than #21 ... and could even be lower if the skins win some playoff games!

This trade is looking better and better all the time

A couple of playoff wins and that first rounder starts looking more like a high second rounder in terms of value

I already look at that trade as a STEAL of RG3 .. who I think is the primary reason this franchise turned around ... some based on his play and mostly based on how he brought this team together and got them all to believe.

That's a burn.

Actually I did make a mistake above

The trade question should be

RG3

for

THREE #1's and one #2 ???

Since both Wilson and Foles were drafted in the 3rd round AFTER we selected that lame OLineman that can't make the field

We also could have kept our existing #1 pick

Dude, get over it. Everyone on this board wanted the trade. You were more than approving of it a season after the trade happened. Now you want to **** all over it?

That's bull****.

Archived