Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

so in hindsight, where does RG3 rank amongst 2012 drafted QB's ?

HogHeaven1983

"in hindsight" is effin hillarious!

after TWO years (not in hindsight) we have seen from RGIII :

• the best rookie season since Dan Marino,
  • and a disaster season #2 (when viewed through the lens of the high hopes from season one)

(I'll note that Cousins, another promising QB prospect was unable to shine much with the garbage around him in his short audition this season.  I think it is fair to say that Nick fowles and Russell Wilson et al would've found the environement here a challenging one to thrive in....)

was he worth the steep price paid for him? ===== that is a hard one to justify at this point. 

but the question posed in THIS thread...?  (and the answer given in the first post by the tread starter...? )  === pure drivel.   

Here's the question

Would you (right now) trade ...

RG3

for

Two #1 Draft Picks + One #2 Draft Pick + Russell Wilson (or Nick Foles) ???

The sad truth is we traded the house for an oft injured, frail, running QB with bad knees, with very poor mechanics, very poor pocket presence, and an ego the size of Fed Ex Field. This guy is a head case and will never be a premier QB in the NFL.   He's just one more Redskin player that most Redskins fans will inflate the perceived talent and value of ... for years.  Until they finally fade into obscurity.  Most Redskins fans sit back and think "Gee, if we paid three #1's and a #2 to get him, he must be good" ... then don't believe their own eyes when he overthrows wide open receivers by 20 yards.

The sad truth is we're jumping to conclusions far too early in this kid's career, especially after less than a year removed from major knee surgery. It's obvious he wasn't the only issue when Cousins came in and played pretty poorly as well...against inferior competition to boot.

Give me Luck all day not even close. I do not care about stats. The eyeballs tell everyone Luck.

1. Takes a pounding and stays healthy.

2. Can actually read defensive and go thru progressions.

3.2 play off apperances.

4. is not playing with much talent on O atm.

5. Not a diva or drama queen.

6. Is moblie, but is a pocket qb first. When his moblity goes, he has shown he will be fine playing from just the pocket via manning and brady. Wilson and Griffon have not even remotely shown they can do that.

Foles, Wilson and RG3 are a wait and see. Wilson does not play from behind much with that defense. Tho he has no receiving help at all. While Foles and RG3 have much more talent to play with on O. Tanahill is a wild card he actually has progressed nicely in year 2.

I would still rank Robert #1 on the list.  In his rookie year, he was so much better than everyone else, that his down year of 3,000+ yards, 60%+ completion percentage is only considered bad for 2 reasons:  1) Teams record   2) How great he was his rookie year

Robert needs to get better, but everyone on that list does too.  Robert needs to hold onto the ball better when hit (running and in the pocket), he needs to re-gain the accuracy he had during his rookie year.  By this, I am talking inches of inaccuracy.  I think (hope) that this comes back with more health in the knee (and no brace.)  Robert also needs to gain more trust his teammates to make plays.  This may require teammates that should be trusted to make the plays. 

It's simply not fair or possible to rank these guys right now. RG3 probably topped this list last year. Luck topped it early this year. Wilson or Foles tops it now. I guarantee that by week 4 of next season somebody else will top the list.

Hell, the Eli vs. Roethlisberger debate hasn't even been resolved and it's been like 10 years.

RG3 is still going down as the best QB of this draft.  I really want Briles to come to showcase RG3 and his ability and someone who is solely focused on getting the best out of him and not worrying about his personal reputation.  

The casual reads I've had so far about Briles' offense that made RGIII a superstar in the NCAA make me certain he's not NFL material ... no route tree? ... only played one side of the field for the passing game ... 1 or 2 max receivers in the designed pass side of the field ... etc.  He's brilliant ... he tailored an offense around a rare talent QB that took advantage of the relative mediocrity of NCAA defenses and defensive players.  There's won't be any defenses or defensive players like that to beat like a drum with sidelot just-go-out-there-and-wing-it offensive plays.  I just don't get the love affair with Briles.  Has he done any other brillant things that promise to beat NFL defenses?

Top Tier:

1. Nick Foles (Round #3, Pick #23)

2. Russell Wilson (Round #3, Pick #12 )

3. Andrew Luck  (Round #1, Pick #1)

Great Pretenders/Questionable:

4. Ryan Tannehill (Round #1, Pick #8)

5. Kirk Cousins (Round #4, Pick #7)

6. RG3 (Round #1, Pick #2)

This could turn out to be a pretty special QB draft once it is all said and done.  Luck to me will be the best of the bunch but that does not mean RG3 will not be an elite player as well.

I am high on Foles and Wilson as well.   Great young QB's in this group.  Tannehill progressed nicely this year.  I think they are all superior to KC. 

The casual reads I've had so far about Briles' offense that made RGIII a superstar in the NCAA make me certain he's not NFL material ... no route tree? ... only played one side of the field for the passing game ... 1 or 2 max receivers in the designed pass side of the field ... etc.  There's won't be any defenses or defensive players like that to beat like a drum with sidelot just-go-out-there-and-wing-it offensive plays.  

You obviously need to read a little more before commenting on the subject. You are very wrong here. 

Top Tier:

1. Nick Foles (Round #3, Pick #23)

2. Russell Wilson (Round #3, Pick #12 )

3. Andrew Luck  (Round #1, Pick #1)

Great Pretenders/Questionable:

4. Ryan Tannehill (Round #1, Pick #8)

5. Kirk Cousins (Round #4, Pick #7)

6. RG3 (Round #1, Pick #2)

???

RG3- Rookie of the Year! best pass completion % of any rookie in NFL history! Took his team on his back the NFC east division title and the playoffs with no defense! Tore his ACL and LCL at the end ( wasn't healthy his 2nd season). 20+TD's and 5INT's in his rookie season.

Yeah he's a pretender.........I think I know where you stand as it relates to RG3!!!!! That's all........carry on :)

The casual reads I've had so far about Briles' offense that made RGIII a superstar in the NCAA make me certain he's not NFL material ... no route tree? ... only played one side of the field for the passing game ... 1 or 2 max receivers in the designed pass side of the field ... etc.  He's brilliant ... he tailored an offense around a rare talent QB that took advantage of the relative mediocrity of NCAA defenses and defensive players.  There's won't be any defenses or defensive players like that to beat like a drum with sidelot just-go-out-there-and-wing-it offensive plays.  I just don't get the love affair with Briles.  Has he done any other brillant things that promise to beat NFL defenses?

Sometimes it's better to not comment on subjects if you're not totally educated on that person you're speaking of. Man oh man how bad is this one here LOLOLOL!!!! This post is a classic example of being out of the loop and totally misinformed.

Give me Luck all day not even close. I do not care about stats. The eyeballs tell everyone Luck.

1. Takes a pounding and stays healthy.

2. Can actually read defensive and go thru progressions.

3.2 play off apperances.

4. is not playing with much talent on O atm.

5. Not a diva or drama queen.

6. Is moblie, but is a pocket qb first. When his moblity goes, he has shown he will be fine playing from just the pocket via manning and brady. Wilson and Griffon have not even remotely shown they can do that.

Foles, Wilson and RG3 are a wait and see. Wilson does not play from behind much with that defense. Tho he has no receiving help at all. While Foles and RG3 have much more talent to play with on O. Tanahill is a wild card he actually has progressed nicely in year 2.

WOW LOLOLOLOL!!!! RG3 has more talent on O than Russell Wilson????? Oh boy..........LOLOL another classic!!!! So are you saying our WR's are better than Golden Tate, Sydney Rice, Baldwin, Percy Harvin and Zack Miller????? Man oh man, I must be a drunken sailor on a broken ship with no TV. LOLOLOL

You gotta tell me who we have that's better on our team than those WR's. Garcon and who else...........???? Chile PLEASE LOLOL!!! You certainly tickled me with that statement. ooooo weee LOL. That was funny. whewww

Hell Russell Wilson WR's are better than ours and they're all hurt LOLOL

Foles is obviously #1.  Big, strong arm, courage to put the ball into tight places.

Luck is a close second, followed by Wilson. Tannehill had a poor season, most likely affected by the "bullying" scandal.

RG3 is 5th right now.  With a healthy leg, he is 4th.  Not bad for an excellent QB draft.

Foles is obviously #1.  Big, strong arm, courage to put the ball into tight places.

Luck is a close second, followed by Wilson. Tannehill had a poor season, most likely affected by the "bullying" scandal.

RG3 is 5th right now.  With a healthy leg, he is 4th.  Not bad for an excellent QB draft.

5th? No. Just like Foles is not obviously #1. You guys let 1 season determine everything. I would've loved to see this asked at the end of last year when everyone had RG3 either #1 or #2. Now he's the 5th best QB out of that class? Wow

5th? No. Just like Foles is not obviously #1. You guys let 1 season determine everything. I would've loved to see this asked at the end of last year when everyone had RG3 either #1 or #2. Now he's the 5th best QB out of that class? Wow

Foles only just put up the 3rd best passer rating of all time.  Wilson and Luck have 2 solid seasons.  RG3 is 4 at best.

I believe it is you that is allowing 1 year of RG3 to sway your judgement. 

RGIII will not only be the best QB in this draft class, but the best QB in the entire NFL and quite possibly in NFL history when it's all said and done after he retires. Yes, the Redskins kool-aid tastes great! It is possible though.

I can finally get behind one of your more outlandish claims big Rak! This is good day.  :)

That's what football players do. We always want to play.

That's great but all football players don't organize a massive marketing campaign and question their coach in press conferences over wanting to play.  

Mike made the mistake of allowing that circus and giving in to RG3's demands to play week 1, and he shoulders the blame for that because he should have known better.  That doesn't make RG3's reckless insistence on playing when he isn't healthy a good thing nor does it excuse how he went about it.  

Yeah he's a pretender.........I think I know where you stand as it relates to RG3!!!!! That's all........carry on :)

He's a hater and has been all season. Don't worry about him just like ncr dude in that other thread about 38 passes blah blah blah

That's great but all football players don't organize a massive marketing campaign and question their coach in press conferences over wanting to play.  

Mike made the mistake of allowing that circus and giving in to RG3's demands to play week 1, and he shoulders the blame for that because he should have known better.  That doesn't make RG3's reckless insistence on playing when he isn't healthy a good thing nor does it excuse how he went about it.  

He didn't organize a massive marketing campaign. He appeared for maybe 10 total seconds in an Adidas football commercial. I think you are overstating it. Shanahan said from the the very beginning once Griffin was cleared by doctors he would play. Griffin didn't put that pressure on anybody. 

All of those quarterbacks will do well in the NFL.  If I had a pick I would have picked Luck over RGIII.

Foles has been the surprise for sure.  How will he perform next year? Will the sophomore slump hit him?

In several more years we will be able to see how they have done.   Once RGIII gets the brace off his knee

and he works with a quarterbacks coach in the offseason I expect him to comeback next season.  We need

to give him a better offensive line and of course improve our defense.  Hope we go back to a 4-3 defense too

with some new players we get from free agency.

Robert had a great rookie year, and he was obviously the best of the rookie QB's, his injury and poor management has hurt him, however, i still believe that what he showed the 1st year is who he is as a QB.   He had no preseason for his 2nd year and this was his and the Redskins undoing, once he was able to train at full pace he should have been doing his pre season training, had he missed the first three games he wouldnt have missed the last three and the Skins would have been better off for it.    ACL ruptures require a full year rehab, and this year showed that.

Archived